What speaker wire to get

jubilee333

4 hours ago, captainbeefheart said:

Yes constant DC with + voltage type systems the conductor becomes an anode and so with the constant DC current applied anodization occurs much faster. I would think this would be not an issue with AC speaker system with no DC, of course many SS amps still have a very small amount of DC offset at the output which may still may have enough current to anodize the conductor. 20mV of DC across an 8 ohm voice coil will produce 2.5mA of current, probably enough to cause problems.

Old cars that ran -6vdc systems do not suffer the anodization issue like the cars today, of course the body would then become the anode and oxidize faster which is why they switched to + type power, easier to replace wire than the frame and body.

The good old days. Yes was talking copper clad steel in my application. Cool...

6 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

Exactly. OP stated this for DJ purposes. Easy in, easy out. No need to have everyone tripping over an un-wielding stiff cable that takes hours to straighten out. High strand count is very important for this application. Rolls up tight when your finished, stores well, rolls out flat.

I wish everyone would pay attention and temper their 30 year old blanket responses to apply relevant information to the questions that are presented on this forum. Whatever speaker wire you have used in your basement system since your were 20 years (40 years ago) has nothing to do with this thread.

I will add, the knuconceptz wire is constructed like zip cord, and the great fexibility may mean long term durability is less, but it's great wire. Best would be like a heavier gauge Belden I have for mic cables. Cord through the middle and rubber jacket, still flexible and working after 45 years. I just always made sure I was the one putting the cables away.

it's not rocket science if you use common sense.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

I will add, the knuconceptz wire is constructed like zip cord, and the great fexibility may mean long term durability is less, but it's great wire. Best would be like a heavier gauge Belden I have for mic cables. Cord through the middle and rubber jacket, still flexible and working after 45 years. I just always made sure I was the one putting the cables away.

it's not rocket science if you use common sense.

Agreed that flexible high strand cables need replacement more often than wire coat hangers. Another check for 12ga. (durability). If you look at the spec sheet pdf's I posted here earlier you'll see that those 2 conductor cables are individually insulated and fully encased in a round rubber sheathing. Again (durability)

Walk into any hardware store. Pretty much everything they have comes in different sizes, colors, shapes, etc. There's a good reason. Applications vary greatly. I may have 2000 3"  course drywall screws next to me, but if I'm hanging drywall on sreel studs I need to go get 1 1/4" self taping drywalll screws. Use whatever the application calls for. In a perfect world OP would have 12ga 50' speakon cables, Pro-Scalla's, Crown amps, dollies, lights, and a vinyl wrapped travel trailer. We are all responsible for helping him on the right footing. Will a extra few dollars well spent ruin the guy? No one is saying he should buy Kimber.

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, jason str said:

Looking up what Klipsch might use in their new products, in house brand Audiovox along with partner RCA brand wants people to think Copper clad Aluminum is acceptable. At least there's lots it on the market.

Anybody care to have a look at at a newer model and see what is currently used.

@jason str not sure what you are asking or implying. Voxx International is the parent of Klipsch (KGI), a wholly owned subsidiary. Voxx owns the RCA brand and label for audio products (as opposed to recording, music, etc.). Those accessories, including the wire, are made elsewhere and labeled "RCA" for sale to outlets like Lowes, Home Depot. What would cause you to suggest that KGI is using RCA brand wire in their speakers? They don't. 

As previously mentioned, starting in about 2019, or possibly even earlier, they have been using Audioquest on some Heritage, as well as other speaker wire makers they have been using. I'm pretty sure it is 99.9% copper from the good ol' USA.

9 hours ago, captainbeefheart said:

Wire inside speakers are very small length. With the price of raw materials including copper increasing going with copper clad aluminum is a way to keep prices of products competitive in the tough market. Engineers sit around and try and beat the cost curve so when you can cut the price of wire in half it's kind of a no brainer when performance is the same.

That may all be true, I'm sure it is, but I think you got drug down a rabbit hole from Jason's question. Jason implies because the parent company, Voxx International markets wire spools of external speaker wire in Home Depot, Lowes, and Amazon (made, packaged, and labeled overseas) that maybe KGI,  a subsidiary speaker company, uses that wire in their speakers. Klipsch doesn't use RCA branded external speaker wire in their speakers, copper clad aluminum or otherwise. 

I know you were addressing that CCA for speaker wire should be just fine, I just don't want people to come away from Jason's statement, that Klipsch is using CCA in their speakers. 

• Like 2

Ok I see now what he was saying.

As noted copper clad aluminum is fine and will work just as good as copper if you don't strip off the copper coating. Oxidized aluminum is extremely anti-corrosive which is good except that it isn't very conductive, or you can say it's highly resistive. Same is true for copper, once copper oxidizes it too will be a bad conductor from the resistive layer formed. That's why it's best to either terminate  in a hermetically sealed connector or just tin it with solder then terminate. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, jjptkd said:

So glad to have an arbiter of truth and common sense on this forum-- I mean when someone asks for product recommendations how dare people answer with personal anecdotal experiences, what are they thinking! 

I think where he was going is the responses that seemed more to do with what they use and recommend for their set ups at home vs. what was being asked. 

What the recommended minimum gauge for 30' runs with those speakers. I think that was the main thrust. The question also implied that the speaker wire would need to be laid out, and then coiled back up after use, so something durable and easy to use I'm guessing. Some picked up on what was implied, others not so much. 

Here is the question for easy reference:

"I have a couple of KG 4.2s and a Kenwood KR-5600 receiver (thanks to the help of some of the guys on the forum). I am looking to switch around my set up for the next party I'm DJing and will need longer speaker wires to accommodate, about 30ft should do the trick. I know at this distance I should be looking at a higher gauge, but I understand some technical specs like impedance also play a role. What sort of specs should I be looking for in speaker wire? Are there any brands you would suggest?

Thanks!

June"

• Like 2

@jubilee333  never ask a community which speaker wire to get, you see what happens ..Choose whatever you think it´s the right wire for you´re applications . You´re a D-Jane don´t forget that , so you´ve got aknowledgement about gear , music and listening experience...where´s the problem ?

• Like 2

On 12/18/2021 at 11:37 AM, jubilee333 said:

the next party I'm DJing and will need longer speaker wires to accommodate, about 30ft should do the trick.

16GA lamp cord would work fine, especially for a one time gig

the price is low enough that it's effectively disposable. Usually one conductor is red aka copper plated.

14GA could probably  measure to be slightly better, unlikely your ears could hear the difference, or anyone else's ears. Again generic cord is fine, it's a wire.

16-14GA in wall twisted pair for in-wall installations, has an extra tough sheathing, you would have to test it's flexibility. If it's flexible enough, this would be a rock solid affordable choice, from any home center

As already stated, soldered connections are far superior, it's a good skill to learn. All kinds of problems magically go away with good solder joints and connections. Finish with shrink wrap for most applications, liquid rubber for others.

When I replaced and or rebuilt the crossovers in my sets of speakers, the wire was dry rotted. So I replaced it with some 14GA stranded pure copper speaker wire with soldered connectors. I wrapped red electrical tape around the ends of one conductor after putting tone on the wire to be sure. I used this wire because it was more flexible than my spool of 40 year old 14 GA lamp cord. And 39 years newer.

If you needed long runs every day for your business, then spending the money for pro concert cable, purpose built would be a good investment but it's not cheap.

For measurable signal performance, pure copper coax is measured as the best. For the frequencies in Audio, its performance is irrelevant. I use it for 100ft antenna runs where shielding and near zero loss are important.

4 hours ago, MicroMara said:

@jubilee333  never ask a community which speaker wire to get, you see what happens ..Choose whatever you think it´s the right wire for you´re applications . You´re a D-Jane don´t forget that , so you´ve got aknowledgement about gear , music and listening experience...where´s the problem ?

Haha, you're right. Primarily just wanted to make sure whatever I choose would not sacrifice sound quality and I have a lot to learn in that area. Appreciate your support 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

What the recommended minimum gauge for 30' runs with those speakers. I think that was the main thrust. The question also implied that the speaker wire would need to be laid out, and then coiled back up after use, so something durable and easy to use I'm guessing.

Yes, that's right. I have my receiver set up set up not far from the speakers for every day use but I am planning to move things out about for this party and all the rest of them assuming I like the setup. Ease of use hadn't even crossed my mind as a factor so I am glad some picked up on it! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jubilee333 said:

Yes, that's right. I have my receiver set up set up not far from the speakers for every day use but I am planning to move things out about for this party and all the rest of them assuming I like the setup. Ease of use hadn't even crossed my mind as a factor so I am glad some picked up on it! 

So are you starting up a mobile DJ business? 

Is the party you're planning for at your house or are you setting up elsewhere?

Do you plan on upgrading your stereo equipment in the near future?

With the equipment you have now I believe just about any of the suggestions here / standard quality speaker cable would be just fine. If you plan on going mobile doing multiple gigs you'll probably need to step up your gear and would encourage something heavier duty in that instance but with what you have now don't see the reasoning in going over the top on wire.  

+ for 12g zip cord. I get it in 100' or longer rolls and it does the job with no problems. In my shop I can roll over it, people walk on it and never a problem with it. Heavy enough to far surpass any demands I might place on it with big pro gear. I guess my longest runs have been maybe 50'.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

@jason str not sure what you are asking or implying. Voxx International is the parent of Klipsch (KGI), a wholly owned subsidiary. Voxx owns the RCA brand and label for audio products (as opposed to recording, music, etc.). Those accessories, including the wire, are made elsewhere and labeled "RCA" for sale to outlets like Lowes, Home Depot. What would cause you to suggest that KGI is using RCA brand wire in their speakers? They don't. 

As previously mentioned, starting in about 2019, or possibly even earlier, they have been using Audioquest on some Heritage, as well as other speaker wire makers they have been using. I'm pretty sure it is 99.9% copper from the good ol' USA.

That may all be true, I'm sure it is, but I think you got drug down a rabbit hole from Jason's question. Jason implies because the parent company, Voxx International markets wire spools of external speaker wire in Home Depot, Lowes, and Amazon (made, packaged, and labeled overseas) that maybe KGI,  a subsidiary speaker company, uses that wire in their speakers. Klipsch doesn't use RCA branded external speaker wire in their speakers, copper clad aluminum or otherwise. 

I know you were addressing that CCA for speaker wire should be just fine, I just don't want people to come away from Jason's statement, that Klipsch is using CCA in their speakers. 

Just a question, you guys read too deep into it. Wondered what is currently used. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

I have a couple of KG 4.2s and a Kenwood KR-5600 receiver (thanks to the help of some of the guys on the forum). I am looking to switch around my set up for the next party I'm DJing and will need longer speaker wires to accommodate, about 30ft should do the trick. I know at this distance I should be looking at a higher gauge, but I understand some technical specs like impedance also play a role. What sort of specs should I be looking for in speaker wire? Are there any brands you would suggest?

Thanks!

June"

Glad I could help you find the best deal on your setup.

Yes just keep it simple and as noted before, we tend to exceed expectations here.

Merry Christmas!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jjptkd said:

So are you starting up a mobile DJ business? 

Is the party you're planning for at your house or are you setting up elsewhere?

Do you plan on upgrading your stereo equipment in the near future?

With the equipment you have now I believe just about any of the suggestions here / standard quality speaker cable would be just fine. If you plan on going mobile doing multiple gigs you'll probably need to step up your gear and would encourage something heavier duty in that instance but with what you have now don't see the reasoning in going over the top on wire.  

I just throw parties in my home 🙂

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, jubilee333 said:

I just throw parties in my home 🙂

We used to have B.O.S. parties.

Bring Your Own Speakers.

Wall of Sound type stuff. Don't recommend doing stupid stuff like that anymore, but it was loud, and that was all that mattered when you had 500 drunk fools, 17 half-barrels, and a pig on a spit that had been previously living in the basement for a month before the big event. Amazing what $5 at the door could get you into back then.

🕺 🔊  🐷🍻💃

• Like 2
  • Haha 3