What speaker wire to get

jubilee333

17 minutes ago, SWL said:

Not sure about the pig in the basement though....

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

What...? There was a rainout the day it was originally supposed to happen, so no roast that day. Farmer wouldn't take it back. Had to keep it fresh, so the basement became a barn for a while. Thinking back, I remember a lot of people weren't grabbing a plate, 😖 but with 500 attending it did get gone. Not our finest moments.

• Like 3

On 12/19/2021 at 8:54 PM, captainbeefheart said:

Ok I see now what he was saying.

As noted copper clad aluminum is fine and will work just as good as copper if you don't strip off the copper coating. Oxidized aluminum is extremely anti-corrosive which is good except that it isn't very conductive, or you can say it's highly resistive. Same is true for copper, once copper oxidizes it too will be a bad conductor from the resistive layer formed. That's why it's best to either terminate  in a hermetically sealed connector or just tin it with solder then terminate. 

Or, a better choice could’ve been tinned copper.  It’s made for marine use, and NEVER corrodes.  This is available from knukonceptz and is called Karma Kable.  It’s the step above Kord, and is of twisted pair construction, with a thick clear sheath over the two already thickly insulated conductors.

I’ve used it for over 15 years, and the very fine strands have two benefits:  as another member mentioned, it’s very flexible and easy to work with.  As well, the fine strands are easy to gently cut with a small knife.  It’s nearly as easy to cut as the PVC sheath.

In my place, the minimum wire size is 12 AWG, like for the bedroom system and the surround speakers, and for the main JubScala IIs, the woofers get 8 gauge Karma Kable, while the tweeters get 10 gauge Karma Kable.

Excessive?  Maybe, but this way I know that there’s no weak link in the cable department, and the bigger size minimizes any loss in the damping factor of the power amps.  And they’re not very expensive.  I don’t think their prices have gone up in over a decade.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Islander said:

Or, a better choice could’ve been tinned copper.  It’s made for marine use, and NEVER corrodes.  This is available from knukonceptz and is called Karma Kable.  It’s the step above Kord, and is of twisted pair construction, with a thick clear sheath over the two already thickly insulated conductors.

Interesting cable products

This may be the excuse I need to buy a new home with a bigger living room for my stereo and other audio gear.

So I can justify new wire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Islander said:

I’ve used it for over 15 years, and the very fine strands have two benefits:  as another member mentioned, it’s very flexible and easy to work with.  As well, the fine strands are easy to gently cut with a small knife.  It’s nearly as easy to cut as the PVC sheath.

In my place, the minimum wire size is 12 AWG, like for the bedroom system and the surround speakers, and for the main JubScala IIs, the woofers get 8 gauge Karma Kable, while the tweeters get 10 gauge Karma Kable.

Excessive?  Maybe, but this way I know that there’s no weak link in the cable department, and the bigger size minimizes any loss in the damping factor of the power amps.  And they’re not very expensive.  I don’t think their prices have gone up in over a decade.

Yes pre-tinned copper is a good choice and many in the repair field use that.

And smart running extra thick wire except sometimes then inductance may rear it's ugly head.

I have made the executive decision to put my monoblock amps on a rack directly next to my speaker and run tops maybe 16" of wire so I just use 14awg as the length is so short the resistance is only about .003 ohms per wire. I run balanced to them so noise is never an issue with small signals either. Even with LaScalas you can put our ear up to the drivers and it's you would think the amplifier isn't even on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, jason str said:

Broke out the wire from RadioShack, still sounds sweet.

That's the latest in electrical outlets too, Bakelite reproductions.

IMG_20211221_193904716.jpg

That looks like genuine lead paint, too! Cutting edge, my friend...cutting edge.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 12/20/2021 at 8:26 AM, jason str said:

Just a question, you guys read too deep into it. Wondered what is currently used. 

Than why even mention the RCA/Voxx thing? What do you expect people to read into it when you mix a completley unrelated comment, with your real question?

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 12/20/2021 at 3:51 PM, 314carpenter said:

We used to have B.O.S. parties.

Bring Your Own Speakers.

Wall of Sound type stuff. Don't recommend doing stupid stuff like that anymore, but it was loud, and that was all that mattered when you had 500 drunk fools, 17 half-barrels, and a pig on a spit that had been previously living in the basement for a month before the big event. Amazing what $5 at the door could get you into back then.

🕺 🔊  🐷🍻💃

I have been to WI many, many times, and the way they drink there, well we are all just amateurs, they are professionals, and they have an awesome time. 

I love of names of the bars near the lake house we have gone for 50 years. 9 mile Bar, 6 Mile Bar. . . . They set it up where you can drink to where you are almost blind and still feel your way around to the next stop. 

Cheese curds, sausage, brats, beer, beer, beer.

A pig in the basement and 17 legs. Which begs the question on which brand of beer back then.

• Haha 2

OMG Travis, why? ok...

Country drinkin was diiferent than city drinking. Like bar-hopping on the lakes by boat or sno-mobile. Harley-Davidson poker runs, Cornfields and bon fires.

Back then Milwaukee still had family owned bars on 3 out of 4 corners in residential neighborhoods. Some of them owned by my family or friends. The yellow pages had 12 pages of listings. I personally visited at least 250 bars and clubs for sure. 

We had house parties 1-2 a week. 40-500 attended depending on location, and there were many to choose from on Saturdays, and what part of the city you wanted to hang out in. Sometimes strangers would just show up to crash. Fights happen. Neighbors seemed to like it though because we scared all the crime away.

Just 7 people on the weekdays could finish a quarter barrel (3 1/2 cases) in 2 hours playing cards, which was like everyday pre-21.

Usually on tap for us...

Original Pabst Blue Ribbon

Miller High-Life

And my favorite party drink

Wapatuli 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=wapatuli&amp=true

54 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

I have been to WI many, many times, and the way they drink there, well we are all just amateurs, they are professionals, and they have an awesome time. 

I love of names of the bars near the lake house we have gone for 50 years. 9 mile Bar, 6 Mile Bar. . . . They set it up where you can drink to where you are almost blind and still feel your way around to the next stop. 

Cheese curds, sausage, brats, beer, beer, beer.

A pig in the basement and 17 legs. Which begs the question on which brand of beer back then.

19 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

OMG Travis, why? ok...

Country drinkin was diiferent than city drinking. Like bar-hopping on the lakes by boat or sno-mobile. Harley-Davidson poker runs, Cornfields and bon fires.

Back then Milwaukee still had family owned bars on 3 out of 4 corners in residential neighborhoods. Some of them owned by my family or friends. The yellow pages had 12 pages of listings. I personally visited at least 250 bars and clubs for sure. 

We had house parties 1-2 a week. 40-500 attended depending on location, and there were many to choose from on Saturdays, and what part of the city you wanted to hang out in. Sometimes strangers would just show up to crash. Fights happen. Neighbors seemed to like it though because we scared all the crime away.

Just 7 people on the weekdays could finish a quarter barrel (3 1/2 cases) in 2 hours playing cards, which was like everyday pre-21.

Usually on tap for us...

Original Pabst Blue Ribbon

Miller High-Life

And my favorite party drink

Wapatuli 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=wapatuli&amp=true

On Newfoundland, Canada’s big island province off (way off) the East Coast, they sometimes use beer as a unit of distance, as in “Yer drives East for three beers, then yer turns North and goes for two beers, and there ya be!”  All said in a thick sort-of-Irish accent.

No disrespect to Newfoundlanders intended.  That’s where most of our comedians come from.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

Than why even mention the RCA/Voxx thing? What do you expect people to read into it when you mix a completley unrelated comment, with your real question?

Just as if GM designed let's say a flaw in a Buick muffler bearing, I was wondering if it went through the whole line of GM products hence my question.

• Like 1