Kp-1000 California

dtr20

3 minutes ago, geoff. said:

I was looking at these the other day too.

The woofers in these are worth more than the asking price. They are the vented, pro version of the K-48, the K-48-KP and would blow your head clean off, LOL!

These appear to be the 8 ohm version FYI not a big deal if using them as subs but might be for those looking for woofer replacements in the Chorus models.

kp1000.jpg

Ok, that brings up a question about Klipsch woofers that nags me from time to time...

Does Klispch make woofers with the same model number with different impedances? 

I recall seeing discussions over the years but I don’t remember any resolution.  

This comes to mind because just recently I picked up a mismatched pair of LSI Splits, the one with the AL crossover has a K-43 that reads 3.7 ohms BUT the one with the AA crossover reads 5.7 ohms. 

Yes, I scratched my head and doubled checked both of them in hopes the readings would change, lol

They were measured through the access door on the bottom of the bass bins directly across the woofer terminals.

And they were both stamped K-43. I double checked that too in hopes it would change.

They are on a list of projects to get @ but I could get in there again sooner than later to take pictures.

Could extreme abuse change coil impedance before frying it?

2 hours ago, geoff. said:

Ok, that brings up a question about Klipsch woofers that nags me from time to time...

Does Klispch make woofers with the same model number with different impedances? 

I recall seeing discussions over the years but I don’t remember any resolution.  

I can't speak on the k-43's but I know for certain the k-48 was made in both 4ohm and 8 ohm.

3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Were they disconnected from the crossover?

Yes, the bass bins are separate.

When I first got two widely different measurements I pulled off the dog house doors to see what woofers were actually in there. And they both have K-43 stamped on identical looking magnets. 

5 hours ago, geoff. said:

Yes, the bass bins are separate.

When I first got two widely different measurements I pulled off the dog house doors to see what woofers were actually in there. And they both have K-43 stamped on identical looking magnets. 

It is possible there was a re-cone done on one did you actually remove the woofers to see if they appeared the same? I know my old now closed speaker repair shop could change woofers from 8 to 4 ohms I had a pair of KP-42's re-coned for a mini Chorus II project some years back. 

• 4 weeks later...

Made the drive from Humboldt to the Bay Area yesterday and am happy to say I am the new owner of these! Seller of the ebay listing had them on Craigslist for months and lowered the price to $100 for the both of em 😵. Couldnt pass these up! I have yet to string them up, fingers crossed they are good to go! I lovvveeee Klipsch and this forum!!!!

• Like 3

Will do! I am piecing together a speaker stack to play outdoor events and am getting close! Have some folded horn 18s for subs, now just gotta find some kp301s to go the simple route. Would be nice to get lucky and find some MSSMs, MSMs with MTMs though! Might build squaker and tweeter boxes and use parts from Crites if the first two options dont manifest. Feeling stoked!

• Like 2