Older Denon integrated amps?

byson1

9 minutes ago, byson1 said:

There’s a PMA-700V integrated amp for sale locally. I presently have an older Denon receiver (DRA 425R) that I’ve been happy with. I’m wondering if the 100 watt amp would be much of an upgrade sonically, over the 50 watt receiver. 

@willland is sort of big on them.

Think it would be good, especially a remote.

What would you be powering?

Thanks!

@willland

11 minutes ago, billybob said:

@willland is sort of big on them.

Yes, I have been very impressed with every 80's/90's Denon product I have ever owned.  The PMA-700V being one of them.  Rock solid reliable and great sounding.

Internal

Very impressive innards.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have several of these old Denon receivers as well as Marantz separates that I recently picked up (forget the model numbers). 

The really big bargain right now are the 'turn of the Century' Denon and Marantz receivers.  I have an ARV 5800 (big 7 channel powerhouse) and an ARV 3805.  The non-HDMI (no HDMI hookups) are a real bargain.  Look for 'THX Certified' which means the amps have to meet certain specs. They also have nice DACs in them as well as phono inputs.  If you can find an AVR 5800 for about $500 or less jump on it. 

I also have a late 1980's DRA 95 (I think forget the exact model number) which was a TOTL receiver back then.  I bought it new as a teenager and love it but the 2000 era THX models are overall better.