Flying With Klipsch

Amphicar

Has anybody flown with Klipsch speakers?  I found the KP-201 I need and am flying to Maine tonight.  Southwest allows two free checked bags.  201 is less than 50 pounds, I’ve flown with skis and boot bag before and those counted.  It is industrial and has handles and armor on the edges, so I am not worried about them damaging it particularly.  Any thoughts?  Am I nuts to try it?

• Like 1

Buy a disposable box knife and a disposable shipping tape dispenser. Go to the recycling bin behind an appliance store, bicycle store, furniture store, or anywhere you can get some free big flat sheets of clean corrugated cardboard. Wrap up the cabinet in cardboard with opening for the handle. Cover with fragile stickers and hold your breath 'til you get to Maine. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have not flown with Klipsch speakers, but I have flown with Mr. Klipsch.  I have posted this story a few years ago, but it can be repeated by an old man (me) that loves reminiscing about the past.  On a sunny Saturday in the 1970s at the Hope Airport where Paul kept his Beech Baron, and I was restoring an MG-TD, Paul casually asked me if I would like fly with him up to a glider field in Little Rock, where he was building his glider time.  Would I?  Are you kidding me?  He added that he needed a photographer to document some of his exploits, and so he explained the use of his 35mm SLR.  I had never flown with Paul before, and found him to be a meticulous, careful pilot.  We landed at a glider field outside Little Rock where Paul met several other glider enthusiasts.  As a aviation buff, I was in heaven and spent the afternoon taking shots of Paul and the others taking off and soaring. He was really at home and at ease with the other pilots and enjoyed their good-hearted banter about who could find the best thermals.  I will always regret never asking Paul for some copies of the prints.  Too soon the evening was over and we flew back to Hope. So, yes, I have flown with Klipsch....sorta.

Edited by TomCBartlett
correct spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 12/25/2021 at 11:15 PM, TomCBartlett said:

I have not flown with Klipsch speakers, but I have flown with Mr. Klipsch.  I have posted this story a few years ago, but it can be repeated by an old man (me) that loves reminiscing about the past.  On a sunny Saturday in the 1970s at the Hope Airport where Paul kept his Beech Baron, and I was restoring an MG-TD, Paul casually asked me if I would like fly with him up to a glider field in Little Rock, where he was building his glider time.  Would I?  Are you kidding me?  He added that he needed a photographer to document some of his exploits, and so he explained the use of his 35mm SLR.  I had never flown with Paul before, and found him to be a meticulous, careful pilot.  We landed at a glider field outside Little Rock where Paul met several other glider enthusiasts.  As a aviation buff, I was in heaven and spent the afternoon taking shots of Paul and the others taking off and soaring. He was really at home and at ease with the other pilots and enjoyed their good-hearted banter about who could find the best thermals.  I will always regret never asking Paul for some copies of the prints.  Too soon the evening was over and we flew back to Hope. So, yes, I have flown with Klipsch....sorta.

Thank you for sharing the great times  with PWK   -Welcome to the Klipsch Forum -

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I sold the TD few years later but never lost the affection for the T series.  But, I was being lured by the designs of Colin Chapman, so I ended up restoring a Europa, then moving on to Lotus Seven replicas.  In 2017 I stumbled upon another TD that needed everything (I have a history of falling in love with cars that are almost too far gone) so naturally I purchased it on the spot.  It will not be original, but the spirit of the TD lives on.  Here is the partially reassembled body.  

TD Outside.jpg

• Like 2