ATI Class D NCore (520 & 540 Series) with Klipsch Forte IV

seasterl

I’ve used the handy search feature and have been reading, with enthusiasm, many comments and threads about the somewhat new breed of Hypex-based Class D amplifiers. However, I have not read many comments about using ATI’s Class D amps with Klipsch speakers. Does anyone here have any experience using that combination? I have Klipsch  Forte IV speakers and considering the ATI 541 NC monoblocks.  It would be great to get some thoughts about this set up, and whether or not it would be dry, clinical, sterile, and not very engaging. I’m currently using a factory-upgraded Rogue Atlas Magnum in triode mode with TungSol KT120 tube amplifier and I feel like I’m listening to rock music on the 20th row back (compared to when I had my Heresy 3), and just want to live in it up a bit more.  I’ve already removed the grills and toe’d in and still lacking the liveliness I want for this setup.  I’m awaiting a new set of interconnects, 12AU7 RCA clear top tubes, and risers to see if this helps.  If I get another amp, I don’t want to spend mega bucks getting another dry, uninvolving and laid back SS amp since that’s why I switched from SS to tubes two decades ago.  I might hear lots of detail, but it may not be engaging and I won’t care to listen.  Thanks!

See the garage sale section now 😏

I have used this setup with many sets of Klipsch speakers and it will do exactly what you want. I currently use it on my JBL 4722N speakers to give them a little bit of extra sizzle up too and finite control over the bass.  I had a really hard time finding any map I liked better than this amp and both of the amps are over double my selling price.  It's a winner in my book.  Dead silent noise floor, unlimited dynamics, rock solid bass control and a nice crisp accurate presentation to the music.   

On 12/22/2021 at 12:00 PM, seasterl said:

I’ve used the handy search feature and have been reading, with enthusiasm, many comments and threads about the somewhat new breed of Hypex-based Class D amplifiers. However, I have not read many comments about using ATI’s Class D amps with Klipsch speakers. Does anyone here have any experience using that combination? I have Klipsch  Forte IV speakers and considering the ATI 541 NC monoblocks.  It would be great to get some thoughts about this set up, and whether or not it would be dry, clinical, sterile, and not very engaging. I’m currently using a factory-upgraded Rogue Atlas Magnum in triode mode with TungSol KT120 tube amplifier and I feel like I’m listening to rock music on the 20th row back (compared to when I had my Heresy 3), and just want to live in it up a bit more.  I’ve already removed the grills and toe’d in and still lacking the liveliness I want for this setup.  I’m awaiting a new set of interconnects, 12AU7 RCA clear top tubes, and risers to see if this helps.  If I get another amp, I don’t want to spend mega bucks getting another dry, uninvolving and laid back SS amp since that’s why I switched from SS to tubes two decades ago.  I might hear lots of detail, but it may not be engaging and I won’t care to listen.  Thanks!

Hey. I just demoed both the Klipsch Forte IV and the KLH Models 5. Liked both. Deciding...But I know what you mean about the Forte IV, the mid range seemed "in the cabinet," in other words, a bit too laid back. But the last time I demoed them I had the salesperson hook them up to an integrated with an EQ. I EQed the midrange and it indeed opened up and sounded great. According to it's midrange measurements, there is a a little recess there, but it comes before the crossover so using EQ does help; however, the first time I heard them in the store they were set up about 12" from the wall, and the last time they were a little over 3' away from the wall. At times I put the EQ back to  neutral and it still sounded very good. I think the closer you get them to the wall, the excess bass energy dulls the midrange opposed to the last time I heard them they were about 3 feet from the wall and the mids sang and opened up.

How far out from the wall? This is where I am at, I don't know how close or far I "should'' place them from the wall. But all rooms and all people's hearing is subjective. The KLH Model 5 is a sealed cabinet design and performed very, very well, but still it's not as big sounding as the Forte IV's. Regarding amps, I have a vintage that should pair very well with them and I'll upgrade later to a class A with a tube preamp.

Thanks for the comments, Mark.  I’ll play with the placement a bit more.  I wish I had something to measure the frequency output.  I already have and use the Velodyne SMS-1 room correction with a passive sub, but that’s only for the lows.  Today I’ll try the RCA 12AU7 tubes.  I’ve got plenty of tubes to darken sound, just not used to trying to bright it.  Times like this I wish I’d never sold my Cary 300SEI!  That was, by far, the brightest amp I’d owned even comparing to SS.  The only problem is it would not fit inside the slot I have in this rack, so that’s why I’d considered something in SS, and specifically the ATI Class D because I’d heard they were a little brighter than other Class D amps.  If I can tweak the speaker placement as you say, and inch the response a bit more with tubes, risers, and I/C them I’m set. 

4 hours ago, seasterl said:

Thanks for the comments, Mark.  I’ll play with the placement a bit more.  I wish I had something to measure the frequency output.  I already have and use the Velodyne SMS-1 room correction with a passive sub, but that’s only for the lows.  Today I’ll try the RCA 12AU7 tubes.  I’ve got plenty of tubes to darken sound, just not used to trying to bright it.  Times like this I wish I’d never sold my Cary 300SEI!  That was, by far, the brightest amp I’d owned even comparing to SS.  The only problem is it would not fit inside the slot I have in this rack, so that’s why I’d considered something in SS, and specifically the ATI Class D because I’d heard they were a little brighter than other Class D amps.  If I can tweak the speaker placement as you say, and inch the response a bit more with tubes, risers, and I/C them I’m set. 

There's a fantastic iPhone app in the App Store called "Decibel: dB sound level meter" developed by Vlad Polyanski. It does everything, measures SPL and gives a FR graph. It can even tell what instrument is playing in any given recording, and it's damn accurate. 

I use this app with the built-in mic on my iPhone with great results, but you can also plug in an external higher end mic if you have one. 

52 minutes ago, seasterl said:

Thanks for the app tip, Cory.  I just downloaded the app and it’s pretty cool.  Can I record a spectrum sweep in one room that I like and compare to the room that needs help?

Hmm maybe not the way you're thinking but I believe you could do something similar with the camera function of the app. You can record videos with a FR graph overlaid. This may only be in the Pro (paid) version of the app, which I recommend. 

I wonder if they would have benefited from front porting rather than the rear-firing passive woofer to make placement easier.  In hindsight, that’s definitely one advantage to the CW.  Of course, for those that want more bass energy, then it’s a good option to have to dial it in.  So I guess this tune-ability can be an advantage, too, for those that prefer a more relaxed midrange.