Klipsch center channel to compliment my Forte I

mjcmt

I'm looking for a recommendation of a Klipsch center channel to compliment my Forte I powered by a Yamaha RX-V681 AVR.

The audio rack has only 8" height available, otherwise I'd consider a Heresy for a center. I'm considering the R-52c center channel speaker because it's not ported to minimize boominess, but personal reviews I've read say it's bright and doesn't cover the full vocal range properly. 

All-in-all, I'm looking for a good sonic match to my all original Forte I L/R speakers that will fit on the audio rack.
Thank you.

https://www.klipsch.com/center-speaker

spacer.png

• Like 1

Hello and welcome back.

First thought is an Academy Klipsch but, the size may exclude itself.

Getting a sonic voice match seems improbable with the newer centers.

May have to try for decent sounding close enough. Are you looking new or used?

A Heresy may be an answer.

Let's see what the experts say.

@mjcmt

3 hours ago, billybob said:

Another thought is the Yamaha model you have has something called Dialogue Lift. Maybe helpful along with 17 processor formats. If one of those modes are Phantom (Center), would try that.

Yes it has dialogue lift. Are you saying to try this and not use a center channel speaker.

And to your previous post, no where for a Heresy as that would be perfect.

8 hours ago, mjcmt said:

I'm looking for a recommendation of a Klipsch center channel to compliment my Forte I powered by a Yamaha RX-V681 AVR.

The audio rack has only 8" height available, otherwise I'd consider a Heresy for a center. I'm considering the R-52c center channel speaker because it's not ported to minimize boominess, but personal reviews I've read say it's bright and doesn't cover the full vocal range properly. 

All-in-all, I'm looking for a good sonic match to my all original Forte I L/R speakers that will fit on the audio rack.
Thank you.

I'd look at the KG 2.2 or KG 2.5 that would fit the bill size wise and be a close match in sound rear ported but not boomy in my experiences.

45 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Those are over 9" tall when placed horizontally.

I guess I should have checked the specs just going off memory I wouldn't go any smaller than the 2.2 if you want a semi decent center speaker. 

The rc64 is 8 inches tall but not sure how well it would match up with the forte's.

3 hours ago, mjcmt said:

Yes it has dialogue lift. Are you saying to try this and not use a center channel speaker.

And to your previous post, no where for a Heresy as that would be perfect.

A heresy would not be perfect.  An Academy would, or the most perfect, another forte.  Size constraints are understandable, but don't kid yourself that the heresy would be the perfect way to go.

• Like 2

The Heresy is really by far the best center in your situation. With the Heresy center you would really have an awesome front stage. Audio racks are a dime a dozen, a really good set of speakers up front really is important , don’t let a audio rack compromise your system. 🤓

Yes size comes into it as is.

Thinking older center with smaller size. The C-7 Tractrix would likely be alright combined with the exponential horn although not matched.

To say the truth anything the OP can live with.

Dang, even used an RCX-4 94db efficient with Chorus once. It is a fine detail center speaker that has way outsized sound. That Yamaha has modern features that could be tweaked to sound decent enough with any center, or a Heresy.

After all the forte' was primarily birthed into this world for 2 channel stereo. 

• Like 1

Very nice. So the dialog lift option is not for phantom center but when the center channel speaker has to be placed a bit lower than what would be ideal. What that does is ever so slightly leak some center channel audio to the front L/R channels just enough that it has the effect of making the center channel appear to come from the screen or at the very least a good amount higher than it is currently. Works very well and most good processors have a function for this. Most use the leakage method others use DSP tricks with delay and EQ. The Phantom of course as the name implies is for sending the center channel equally to the front L/R in phase -3dB. And center channel audio will appear to come from right in between the 2 fronts just like any stereo music recording for sounds that are placed dead central like vocals. Biggest problem with phantom is if you move just a bit out of the sweetspot the effect is completely lost. Based on your pic, and the sofa listening area, if you toe'd in your mains just a hair right now you'd likely get excellent phantom center performance.

That said, you may appreciate a discrete center especially with films that have a lot of hard pans and off axis audio. But as others have said a good sonic match is key. A center that is a poor match tone wise to the mains is a killer and will stick out like a sore thumb. Done well, a discrete center will add a sense of realism conveying the space in the recording nicely across the screen channels. Even in systems where phantom could work I have personally always preferred a discrete center no matter what. The center channel is the most important channel in cinema. Your setup is unique in that a phantom center could work really really well. Far better than most. If you go for it, you'll want something that is a perfect match for the Forte 1s or as close as possible that a bit of light EQ would get the ideal tonal match.

You could get something like a KG or Academy center, place it on top of the console and have the TV sit on top of it. A good amount of people put their TV on top of their RC-64s too but those are larger.  You'd get to keep your clean and simple media console too that way. A Heresy II or similar may be best match wise but that'd have to be vertical and you'll need a new console or custom that allows it to sit that way, a bit of a tilt upwards would be perfect if a little lower than ideal effectively canceling out the need for any lifting DSP. Either way I wouldn't prioritize a console over the system unless there are other considerations, i.e. lifestyle, WAF etc.

3 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I would go phantom versus trying to shoehorn a center into a limited space.

Or, I'd get a different TV stand that allowed something like a Heresy or Quartet center.

FWIW there are very few if any media consoles I am familiar with that have a middle vertical gap for a Hersey to stand in between, most are just horizontal shelving or large furniture piece that have a space for a "traditional" bespoke made for HT center channel like the mainstream Klipsch line has now. Something like traditional audio racks to the left/right would work but the top shelf would have to connect like a bridge for the TV. I couldn't find anything like that.

I looked for something like this all over years ago when I was shopping a center for my KHorns. Wanted a LaScala or Cornwall but there was nothing like that unless custom, not even Heresy sized vertically. Eventually got the matching Heresy and it sits on the floor right in front with the angled base it works perfectly in my room. But would be a non-starter for a smaller room where the seating area is far closer to the screen and console like the OP's.

• Like 1