Attenuation setting changes in 1db worth it?

mopardave

2 hours ago, mopardave said:

Sounds great to my ears, but im yet to try them again with different attenuation. Might be the large ZXPC mid horn as it is very laid back compared to a k600 .     In the Cornwall test article they say Klipsch attenuated the mids 5db over the k33e sensitivity.

...and it's only your ears you need to please :)  I just was surprised about the 5db that Klipsch had noted on the Cornwall. 

1 hour ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Where?

What do you think that means?

I will have to reread the report, but the way i took it, they attenuate the mid 5db above the woofer which is a k34e and a k57 mid.    I would guess similar to mine at 5db above the woofer.   If i attenuate my mid below the woofer the speaker sounds far away.    My DE85on specs 108db and 1526 specs 95db. I have the zxpc horn.  In your opinion where would you set the attenuation in a CW/CS to start or maybe i should say without hearing them, what is the range you would start?  I think 8db is pretty darn close. 

13 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

attenuated the mids 5db over

It was late, I was tired - the above just wasn't registering for some reason. 

"attenuate" means "to reduce". When you say "above" or "over" the woofer, it doesn't make sense.

The box/driver is 96dB. With 4dB of room gain, it's 100dB - but you really only get that get that if it's against a wall or in a corner. 

The midrange and tweeter are more sensitive than the box, and you "attenuate" those to match the bottom.

If the de120 sounds better without attenuation, than you undoubtably have quite a bit of hearing loss above 5kHz.

The de85 is 108dB on the horn B&C used to test. It may or may not be that on the horn you are using. I would attenuate 9dB as a starting point. 

Yes, i do suffer from some hearing loss. I used a Lpad and tried attenuating DE120 in 2 DB settings and could not really tell much different at my listening position, about 12ft back from speakers. So, i just run them wide open.   Ok, i understand.  I am currently attenuated at 8db on the mids and it does sound nice up to about 95db output, then it starts sounding like too much high end. So maybe 9db would be better.    Thanks