Klipsch forte ii woofer distortion

Llem

I noticed today with my 1995 Forte ii( as was trying some bass tracks )woofer distortion from one speaker. Its like a crackling sound / resonance when strong bass notes are playing. Its like something is not stable.?

i checked and tighten the screws.when i push with my hand and trying to keep firm the woofers  cover where the screws are located seems like the crackling goes but distortion still remains. Its not from the amp either cause i changed the speaker position back in the amp. Any ideas?

Edited by Llem

13 minutes ago, Llem said:

I noticed today with my 1995 Forte ii( as was trying some bass tracks )woofer distortion from one speaker. Its like a crackling sound / resonance when strong bass notes are playing. Its like something is not stable.?

Any ideas?

Almost 30 year old speakers could be a bad or loose contact / connection from the crossover to the woofer could be a bad solder joint on the crossover or bad / blown crossover component or it could be the voice-coil on the woofer starting to go bad.

I'd start first by checking the wiring and all connections to the drivers and on the crossover, look the crossover over to see if there's any visible damage / burnt marks etc. 

Another thing you can do but you have to be careful lightly push in on the woofer cone to see if the coil makes a scratching noise when the coil gets to hot it can start to unravel and hit the gap in the magnet.   

Check for air leaks before you remove anything.

Get some vacuum line 3/16 or so 5 ft more or less. Burn a 20-25 Hz frequency and get the cone moving a bit and with one end of the hose to your ear fish for leaks around the cabinet. 

If you don't find anything the woofer or other may be the cause.

Hmm seems complicated to me..i want to clarify that i'm not into technical things or fixing electronic things by my owm but i will try to do my best . 

In the meanwhile is it safe to play at moderate levels where i dont hear distortion?

5 minutes ago, Llem said:

Hmm seems complicated to me..i want to clarify that i'm not into technical things or fixing electronic things by my owm but i will try to do my best . 

In the meanwhile is it safe to play at moderate levels where i dont hear distortion?

Trying to save you some steps, pull the woofer and find nothing you will be right back to square one likely repairing stripped screw holes along the way.

Thanks for the advise Jason.

Just played some frequencies 20 25 30 and the right woofer starts from one volume point to make a very light sound like paper moving quickly? Really dont know how to describe it .When i push lightly the paper or the rubber surround it stops the noise but probably because i prevent the woofer from further movement?

@Llem you may have a Rubbing voice coil or ,  a spider than has unglued , take out the woofer and do a visual inspection of the spider -

you can also swap the woofer from the good sounding speaker into the distorting speaker ------if the distortion is gone , you'll need a replacement woofer or  a recone of the woofer -

update:

Just noticed that this light sound when i play the bass tones (not the distortion i heard in the track) comes from both speakers  maybe i hear  the woofer moving air .? 

So I played some music -heavy bass tracks loud  and im not sure if it is distortion from the woofer or something that maybe resonates at some frequency .the speaker cabinet perhaps? Moreover i heard that another creaking noise was coming from the Tv furniture which is very to another speaker that i have in the living room.

It's getting late so i will try things again tomorrow and report.

Thanks for the replies

Edited by Llem

25 minutes ago, Llem said:

update:

Just noticed that this light sound when i play the bass tones (not the distortion i heard in the track) comes from both speakers  maybe i hear  the woofer moving air .? 

So I played some music -heavy bass tracks loud  and im not sure if it is distortion from the woofer or something that maybe resonates at some frequency .the speaker cabinet perhaps? Moreover i heard that another creaking noise was coming from the Tv furniture which is very to another speaker that i have in the living room.

It's getting late so i will try things again tomorrow and report.

Thanks for the replies

you're gonna have to isolate the source of the distortion or whatever sound this is disturbing ,

Connect  1 speaker at the time , and test each speaker and each set of wiring for both speakers on 1  amplifier - then post the results -

I played each speaker at a time and both do  resonate at very low bass notes. (The track is TI-DE from KOKOROKO really nice bassy track). However the one i  noticed first  the distortion resonates maybe a little more. I also saw one or two similar threads about a similar issue with Fortes.

I didnt changed the wiring yet but i checked and tighten the cable connections.

Also i taped the speakers with my fist at the sides and noticed that the most resonant speaker doesnt seem as stiff and rigid (like the wood being lighter) if that means something

Highly unlikely it's the cabinet material, glue joint a leak test would have found maybe.

Check the tinsel leads on the woofer being too long and rubbing during high power.

Loose wires tapping the cabinet.

Glue joints though model is not known for having any.

These are the normal things anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Llem said:

I played each speaker at a time and both do  resonate at very low bass notes. (The track is TI-DE from KOKOROKO really nice bassy track). However the one i  noticed first  the distortion resonates maybe a little more. I also saw one or two similar threads about a similar issue with Fortes.

I didnt changed the wiring yet but i checked and tighten the cable connections.

Also i taped the speakers with my fist at the sides and noticed that the most resonant speaker doesnt seem as stiff and rigid (like the wood being lighter) if that means something

you can always  add foam  .........1/2 to 1 inch thick , either basic egg-crate foam or packaging computer foam ---and place on the sides-top-bottom  of the Forte , and VIP , stick with tape  a layer under  the midrange horn  and the woofer , that should dampen the resonance of the cabinet ,  does this help ?

• Thanks 1