What have I gotten?

Muzical

Just joined the forum, getting back into 2 channel hi-fi.  I was given a set of Klipsch Heresys. Very excited! Repurposing a Yamaha RX-V2400 to power them for the moment.  The problem is I don't know which generation these are. I cleaned them up (inside the grilles) and oiled the cabinets.  Can anyone tell me about which gen I have, and if there is anything I need to know about connecting them? Thanks in advance!

IMG_7831.jpg

IMG_7833.jpg

IMG_7834.jpg

Edited by Muzical
Need to add image related to post
  • Like 2

Welcome to the Forum!

Those are Heresy 1. I have them too, great speakers, enjoy!

There is a serial number, stenciled into the back upper rim of the cabinet, if You would like to know in detail when your speakers left the factory, look here:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AndreG. said:

And I can' t say for sure, but it looks like a walnut finish.

Andre,

Thank you for both the warm welcome and the help in deciphering the details of these speakers! I’ll use the link/site you provided to research them further. And I just found the serial number/code on the edge of the enclosure/cabinet “5 6 S 6 2 7” They sure look good, and I’m going to find a replacement Klipsch badge missing on one of the speakers. Plan on enjoying these for a long time!

One thing I would highly suggest is to remove the back panel on both and then loosen and tighten each screw in the crossover network.  That'll help remove oxidation and give a much better signal to all the components.  I do that with every older speaker I buy.

11 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Those are Heresy 1. I have them too, great speakers, enjoy!

Agree with Andre, they ARE great speakers. BUT, they would simply be Heresy, without the '1'. So they would be Heresy, Heresy II, III and IV.

Not pickin' on Andre... just wanted to be clear.

Congratulations on a wonderful pair of speakers!  Walnut is very desirable. I have a pair of “P” Walnut myself that are my daily listeners.  These speakers do very well with Solid State from the same era but really love tubes. I’m currently driving mine with a little HK330B. Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 4:41 PM, Muzical said:

Just joined the forum, getting back into 2 channel hi-fi.  I was given a set of Klipsch Heresys.

these speakers should have the round magnet K77 Tweeters and the k55V midrange , both are Alnico drivers  ,these drivers were used in the Cornwall-Lascala-khorn-Belle -

• Like 2

On 12/29/2021 at 10:06 AM, dtr20 said:

Congrats, great speakers. The S in the serial number means they were made in 1978. Listen to them and enjoy. They only thing I would recommend as far as changing is at some point to replace the capacitors on the crossover.

dtr20,

Thanks! I appreciate the help in deciphering the date and tip about the capacitors.  Happy New Year!

On 12/29/2021 at 11:31 AM, wuzzzer said:

One thing I would highly suggest is to remove the back panel on both and then loosen and tighten each screw in the crossover network.  That'll help remove oxidation and give a much better signal to all the components.  I do that with every older speaker I buy.

Wuzzzer,

Got it! I'll look at those internal connections, and work the fasteners as needed. Appreciate all the good information from everyone.  Happy New Year!

39 minutes ago, uteman1011 said:

Congratulations on a wonderful pair of speakers!  Walnut is very desirable. I have a pair of “P” Walnut myself that are my daily listeners.  These speakers do very well with Solid State from the same era but really love tubes. I’m currently driving mine with a little HK330B. Enjoy!

Uteman1011,

Thank you! After reading everyone's comments it seems I managed luck into a solid set of speakers.  Eventually I may look into tube amps, besides the one I use on my Telecaster.  I'll look up the amp you mentioned.

Happy New Year!

19 minutes ago, RandyH said:

these speakers should have the round magnet K77 Tweeters and the k55V midrange , both are Alnico drivers  ,these drivers were used in the Cornwall-Lascala-khorn-Belle -

RandyH,

Thanks for the component info!  I just found the Critespeakers.Com site in case i need to swap out any failing component in the future.  Happy New Year!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muzical said:

RandyH,

Thanks for the component info!  I just found the Critespeakers.Com site in case i need to swap out any failing component in the future.  Happy New Year!

Happy New Year and Welcome to the Klipsch Forum  -I own several pairs of Heresy , one  pair is 1977 ,I never replaced anything  on the 77 or the later pairs -

as far as capacitors , only use klipsch Original capacitors  from@JEM Performance , or dont touch the current capacitors as your speakers will no longer sound like klipsch speakers  .Crites is not klipsch Authorized -the Authorized Klipsch  reseller is "  The Speaker Exchange "  https://reconingspeakers.com/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Muzical said:

RandyH,

I just found the Critespeakers.Com

i wouldn't do anything to them and just sit back and enjoy them

and if you do want to tinker with them down the road, Mr. Crites has everything you will need for them and has the best customer service on this forum and around the world

• Like 2