TV Screen Size, what features to look for?

Coytee

Been out of the TV market for over 10 years.  Frankly, I am STILL not 'actively' in the market.....but am now getting curious (so it may be getting near time)

Wondering what a larger screen in basement would do for me.  Was at a Best Buy prior to Christmas and did a walk by glance of the screens.   All I have to say is NICE!!

My left/right width restriction is roughly 62 inches (can go more but want to leave room for cat to get past TV on way to his door in the window....so this might change)  I think this ballparks me into a 71/72 inch diagonal (not a huge issue yet at this point)

When I was at the store, I saw various topologies.....OLED, QLED, LED.  I don't know if that was all of them or if I even recall them correctly.  So the engine of my question is, what type of screen is considered the best?  Set cost aside for this part of the conversation.....  Then of course I am going to wonder what kind of cost impact the nicest one has compared to the 2nd place finisher.

Or is there an agreed upon first place type?  Is it one of those "Well, it depends on what is higher on your priority" kind of thing?

Educate me!

Side question, I don't have a 4K signal.  Is there a benefit in getting a 4K or better screen or is it paying for something that won't be functional since the signal isn't there?  On Direct TV, can one get the same quality picture that they're showing on their displays?

Pretty much everything is 4k now as far as screens (some 8k, of course).  If you do happen to find a 1080p stay far away because it'll be lower than a bargain basement model.

OLED is considered the best in terms of contrast and blacks but as far as I understand it gives up some maximum brightness.

I have a QLED and it has something like 120 local dimming zones so it can get perfect blacks when needed but also is incredibly bright too.  Well over 1,000 nits.

When I was researching TVs a year and a half ago I was told that the even number sizes (60", 70", etc) were usually lower quality panels than odd numbers (65", 75", etc).  Not sure if it's 100% accurate.

All sets will upscale to 4k if they're sent a lower than 4k signal but some do it much better than others.

If you narrow your search I would suggest looking the model up on rtings.com and see what their tests say.  Pay special attention to things like overall brightness, how they handle 1080p and 720p signals and any other video attributes that would be important to you.

40 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Side question, I don't have a 4K signal.  Is there a benefit in getting a 4K or better screen or is it paying for something that won't be functional since the signal isn't there?  On Direct TV, can one get the same quality picture that they're showing on their displays?

To answer this question, I'd have to say no.  More than likely the sets are displaying uncompressed 4k signals to show them off the best.  You can always ask if they have any way to view a regular HD signal on a particular set so you can see how it looks.

What do you currently have for a TV?

2 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

What do you currently have for a TV?

I have a Sony brand Model #???

Years ago, call it 15 years....  I bought what I thought at the time was the top of the line Sony.  Had great picture, yada yada...  One of the "thingy's" in there went out.  I think it might have been called a light blocker or something?  It had three as I recall and was considered a design flaw.....so I was sent a new TV and got the one I have now (which has NEVER had as nice of picture as the original, I'm sure they sent a lower tier unit since it was free)

Works fine and my genuine priority is better sound verses better visuals (as long as they're acceptable, which they are....  but then, so is the sound!!)

What I currently have is however, nowhere on par with what I see at stores.  (then again, their sound is not on par with mine!)

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

OH, and I think it's either 50" or maybe 55" diagonal.  I wouldn't mind something larger.

best deals on TV's is  FRYS  , They have a 50 inch  Roku Smart HDR 4K for 379.9$ - sign up for an account (no need to purchase anything ,) they send you rebated coupons every day ,  free shipping across the USA on some items

https://www.frysfood.com/p/tcl-roku-smart-hdr-4k-tv/0084604201686?fulfillment=PICKUP&searchType=default_search

@Coytee   LG makes most OLED screens used by others, then everyone puts in their own “smarts”. Sony has a strong reputation in TV. Not the cheapest, but come out on or near top of a lot of reviews. I just bought the OLED 55A8H. On 10ft wall of overall 18 ft x 18 ft room. Big enough for me. Any bigger and it would be too close to door frame and side wall.  Also how far back will your seating be from the TV? I am about 10 ft back from the 55 inch. A 65 inch might fit, but was too much money.

Do you use any streaming services, Netflix et al?  Upscale to 4K is nice, but some standard TV broadcast is not good.

Costco and others put TVs on sale when new models are coming out, usually in the fall.

Good luck with your search.