EV and the T35 tweeter

Marvel

This is an old article, but gives tons of back story about EV and the history and path of the T35. It also may explain why @KT88 likes the early tweeters, and why the latest ones are fine. My apologies it has been linked before.

https://audioxpress.com/article/remembering-the-electro-voice-t35-super-tweeter

• Like 1

1. The Hi Fi industry incalculated people with what I call the 20/20 obssesion-20 Hz-20 Khz performance of all components. Klipsch honestly rated the K-77 (the original) as going out to 17.5 KHz. Other manufacturers stated their domes etc went out to 20 KHz "and beyond". No mention of distortion, efficiency, polars, but on axis those units could be made to respond to 20 Khz.
  2. It's an essential educational experience for a would-be audiophile to listen to sine waves through a wide-range speaker, hopefully with someone else to turn the knob/click the mouse, and the subject guessing what frequency he/she is hearing.  Most folks are very surprised how far off their guesses are.
  3. In my case I need to warm up my trusty HP 204C oscillator and connect it to one of my JVC ribbon tweeters and have a pal turn the dial to see where my old ears give up now. Last I checked (about 10 years ago) it was 13 KHz.

The T-350 (not to be confused with the ST-350) was a T-35 with a much larger magnet to "brute force" more extended highs than the T-35 and was the tweeter used in Patrician. Many hornies, including myself, consider the T-350 a significantly better sounding tweeter than the T-35 and their value on the used market reflects it.

5DFF4BD9-EE57-4B04-9255-376B9C6CD6EA.jpeg

• Like 1