New lamp or new projector?

psg

I bought a 1080p BenQ W6000 projector exactly 10 years ago and use only for movies. It has started to warm me that the bulb has reached 2000 hours. 

The problem is that OEM replacements are just about impossible to find. Even sites that say they sell OEM parts at full price have reviews that say to stay away from them.

Given that a lamp housing could be as much as C$400 to C$500 without any real certainty that it's OEM, that 1080p projectors can now be had for under C$1000, I am wondering if waiting for the lamp to really stop working and then swapping out the whole thing is the better option?

Sad, but that's the consumer society we live in now.

Thoughts?

I would get a new projector. I am sure you can get a better projector now for around $1k... I think you can even get a 4k projector for around $1k new. Check out this one... BenQ TK800M HDR XPR 4K UHD DLP Home Theater Projector ($1099 at BHPhoto) Not sure how it compares, but I would think after so long it would be better.

Bulbs do sometimes explode when they go past the recommended hours of usage. I seem to recall I had one do that (years ago), but I was luck enough to be able to remove all the bits. I have read that sometimes people are not that lucky.

Remember, I'm in Canada! 😉

That 4K projector is C$1800 here.

Still, it took me 10 years to put 2000 hours on the projector. It doesn't look dim to me, but I realise I could be surprised by a lamp change. Point is it might last another couple of years for all I know, and then I should just buy a new one.

The BenQ web site is disappointing. They give you the part number, but no way to buy it.

https://www.benq.com/en-ca/projector/lamps/lamp-for-w6000.html

16 minutes ago, psg said:

Remember, I'm in Canada! 😉

That 4K projector is C$1800 here.

Still, it took me 10 years to put 2000 hours on the projector. It doesn't look dim to me, but I realise I could be surprised by a lamp change. Point is it might last another couple of years for all I know, and then I should just buy a new one.

I wouldn't upgrade until you notice a difference or are disappointed in what you watch and wait for it to bite the dust. Otoh, if you have extra cash and looking for an upgrade now, purchasing a 4k unit could last you another 10 years. I wouldn't be looking for a bulb/housing in that price range given what you report. That's my 2 cents (American).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will tell you one thing...my old projector did not look dim to me when it would be over 2k hours, but when I replaced the bulb it obviously was very dim. We become accustomed to stuff over time and do not notice it geting dim. One thing you could do is to look at one of the inexpensive ultra short projectors. I have seen some under $1k that they appear to have a great picture.

• Like 1

As long as the image remains bright and keeps you happy, no need to rush into another purchase, whether bulb or new projector.  Just a heads up about your PJ hours alert.   It may shut down and not turn on once it reaches 2000 hours. Many do that.   If that happens, just follow the procedure to reset the bulb hours back to zero and then  keep using it until you decide the image is too dim, or because the bulb implodes. 😀 As that may happen at some point.   

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RandyH said:

Thanks, but search for that site and the word review and it looks to be the same crap shoot, with some people reporting the bulb lasting a very short time and exploding in the projector, or being dimmer than the one they replaced. These are the stories that are making me think I'd rather skip the hassle and buy a new projector.

Should have bought an OEM spare bulb assembly when it was only a few years old.

53 minutes ago, RandyH said:

The OEM .is Manufacturer Part #: 5J.J2605.001 ,the Original bulb is Made by PHILIPS

Yes, but when you read actual reviews (and threads on AVS for example) many people report that they did not receive an OEM part. This makes the purchase risky.

Have you purchased from them before?

https://ca.trustpilot.com/review/www.projectorlampsworld.com

• Like 1