Replacing k55v with a55g(1st gen) LS w/AA xover

Alexander

17 hours ago, Alexander said:

Getting ready to change out the OEM k55v's with a55g's in a pair of 1975 LS. Would one need to adjust the 3636 autotransform from the stock -3db on the AA xover? And if so to what attenuation?

You may not need an adjustment at all. You'll know when you hear it. Ears don't lie.

I will be curious to hear you review Alexander, with my 65-year-old ears it was good improvement over my K55V. The Version 2 A55g was a noticeable improvement on some vocals. Especially the Jenefer Warren CD I have it really shines compared to the 1st version of the A55g. 

Rich

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rmlowz said:

I will be curious to hear you review Alexander, with my 65-year-old ears it was good improvement over my K55V. The Version 2 A55g was a noticeable improvement on some vocals. Especially the Jenefer Warren CD I have it really shines compared to the 1st version of the A55g. 

Rich

Likewise. I got a lot more definition in Frank Sinatra's voice, and the horns and drums had more punch. I removed my A55G/2s for the time being, but I plan to use them again with the next crossover, probably the ALK CSW-450.

Thanks for all the replies

I am a little confused based on what I have read in the past on this topic. What I saw seemed to suggest that you would have to make changes in the crossover when going between the K55V and the K55M (or vice versa). So I guess what I am asking is the A55G* more akin to the K55V than the K55M?

Just trying to figure it all out so I don't have to open it up more than once if I can avoid it...

*1st Gen

48 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Slight variations in frequency response aside, all of these drivers have essentially the same sensitivity. I dropped mine in without feeling the need to make any changes. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks Deang,

also was it you that mentioned that the PPT Theta cap leads were extremely fragial? Or was that a different cap?