Subwoofer time for my Heresy II's and tube amp

Tom_Birmingham

I have admittedly a strange set up in my box room. I have Heresy II's, a DJ set up and a tube amplifier which is an Icon Audio ST40. This Christmas I put my speakers at ear level having read some posts on this forum of the benefits of bringing up the speakers on tables to improve the quality of sound.

Im all good apart from one thing as the mid section is so much better I've lost my bottom end. I know Heresy speakers aren't great for sub base, however I'm happy to improve with a small sub. Preferably a Klipsch one if I'm honest, can anyone recommend anything ? My tube amp would need to have speaker interconnects, and the room is so tiny I don't need a big sub. Just something to bring out the bottom end so it's noticeable. 

Any ideas or recommendations? 

20211231_151128.jpg

• Like 5

Tiny room? I suggest you first figure out where you would put it. Measure the space and buy a sub that will fit. THAT will determine what size subwoofer (in your case cabinet size rather than driver size) that will work for you. You will parallel the amp's speaker outputs between your Heresies and your sub. Make sure the sub you choose has speaker level inputs as some do not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom_Birmingham said:

Thank you. Not many kicking around the UK, will have a look about. 

Check parts express

Is Dayton their in house brand

They also sell lots of knock down subs

they may ship to UK or US shipper that sends a container to the Uk once a month.

US Post office will certainly deliver to UK

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter P. said:

Tiny room? I suggest you first figure out where you would put it. Measure the space and buy a sub that will fit. THAT will determine what size subwoofer (in your case cabinet size rather than driver size) that will work for you. You will parallel the amp's speaker outputs between your Heresies and your sub. Make sure the sub you choose has speaker level inputs as some do not.

I would measure the cavity under the IKEA tables for two subs

might fit 2 12in front fire subs ...........

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tom_Birmingham said:

Thanks all. I only really need a small sub due to the footprint of the room. It's very very small in the room and my listening chair is about 5 foot in front of the speakers.

You would be right... Happy New Years!

3 hours ago, Tom_Birmingham said:

Thanks all. I only really need a small sub due to the footprint of the room. It's very very small in the room and my listening chair is about 5 foot in front of the speakers.

I used to use a pair of JBL 4636 pro series subs as stands for my Heresy’s in a small apt when my listening position was about that close. 
They worked well, didn’t dig really deep but definitely filled out the low end nicely.

I have Heresy I's. I drive them with a 70 watt per channel Yamaha receiver or a 10 watt per channel vintage (rebuilt) tube amp. If I play techno or electronic stuff with a lot of really low bass a subwoofer helps. I only have a 10" Polk powered sub. I bought two and honestly did not think two was a lot better than one, so I diverted one to my TV room. But I am not a bass fanatic, I listen to mostly 50's and 60's jazz and 60's rock. I truly only played the synthesized bass stuff to hear the subwoofer working. You can hear it flattening out the bottom on stuff with real low bass. The sub also makes a noticeable improvement when I watch auto racing, hence moving one to the TV room. 

I have a pair of 81 Heresy's and replaced both bottom's and there was an amazing difference.  Buddy was sitting here listening to them and flipped out because of the sound quality from the bass speakers.  I switched back to my LS a few days later and he swore he was listening to the Heresy's.  Picked them up from a guy in here on the garage sale thread.  Both new in the original boxes.  Might be tougher w/your location.  A sub would work though and possibly save you money if you compare pricing on everything.

• Thanks 1

SVS sealed subs are small,  their SB1000pro is ~13" cube & gets very good reviews, they ship international too.  i have sb2000 that are a 14" cube.  lots of options & opinions out there but most brands have excellent performance in the $500-$600 price range.   

I also have a small room. I picked up a pair of Jamo SUB 800 subs (also sold as Energy ESW-M6 800) to use.
They are a tiny 8" cube with decent bass, and having the pair lets you move them around the room to even out room nodes.
Or put a towel over one and use it as a footrest for bass you can feel! 🙂

I don't think Klipsch makes a small sub worthy of a Heresy, I honestly don't know if the SPL-110 is worth a damn. I would go with a pair of SVS Micro subs. Or a couple RELs. They make really small subs too. KEF also has a desirable micro sub. 

Problem is: a pair of any of the aforementioned subs will get quite expensive really quick. Whatever you get, it needs to be a sealed design. In order to have the speed needed to keep up with Heresys.