Nickle coca cola

henry4841

I remember 15-20 cents for a Coke. Sunoco 260 106 octane leaded gasoline from a pump. It actually smelled good. The crap we get nowdays smells horrible. I liked the days when greed wasn't so prevalent. Free stuff in the box (Duz) when ya bought laundry soap. Gas stations checked yer oil and washed the windshield. Yeah I'm getting old. get offa my lawn!

14 minutes ago, geezin' said:

I remember 15-20 cents for a Coke. Sunoco 260 106 octane leaded gasoline from a pump. It actually smelled good. The crap we get nowdays smells horrible. I liked the days when greed wasn't so prevalent. Free stuff in the box (Duz) when ya bought laundry soap. Gas stations checked yer oil and washed the windshield. Yeah I'm getting old. get offa my lawn!

Gas for 35 cents a gallon.

8 minutes ago, RandyH said:

Cigarettes for 1$  or less

When I began smoking, the cigarettes from the manual pull machine (too young to buy them face to face) required a quarter and two pennies were taped to the pack. God bless the Keyhole Tavern. But then In the eighties, North Carolina did not tax tobacco so Camels were $2 a carton!  Deflation: it cost less to pollute my lungs twenty years later.

Gas was 17.4 at the Hudson station. They washed your windshield and offer to check your oil.

While Coke was a nickel, there was a two cent deposit on each bottle. You could gather movie money from the shoulders of the road.

Ah the good old days; its was a miracle I survived to type this.

Happy New Year!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, geezin' said:

Mid fifties ahh the good old days!!   The gas did actually smell good, like actual gasoline not like the crap at the pump now that gives you a headache. I roughly remember paying around a quarter $.25 a gallon.

Coke tasted different too, maybe real cane sugar or the actual flavoring formula has changed? This was around the time when cans started to replace the nice glass bottle. I remember talking to friends about how the Coke in the can tasted different compared to the bottles.

Mcdonald's was becoming it's fast food empire. Nothing like a bunch of friends jumping into a Chevy Bel Air and going and getting Hamburgers for $.20 

I liked *think it was Burger Chef when I was young. I can remember the cheeseburgers going up to 17 cents. Or getting a slushie and a candy bar for less than a quarter at the little general.

Now it's like $5 a lb for 80/20 ground chuck? Over $4 a lb for fresh chicken. C'mon those were staples for us non-rich folks. Or $5 for a gallon of real milk?

It can sit there `till it goes bad on their dime, I'll survive without it!

Edited by JohnJ
* not mcd's

24 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

.......................It can sit there `till it goes bad on their dime, I'll survive without it!

Exactly how I feel. A loaf of real bread is cooling in the kitchen right now. I've had steak twice in the past year and a half 'cause I know they're f*^kin the farmers and me as well. And I won't help them do it.   i shop the local meat market 'cause it's fresh and sourced from farms I drive by not some corporate conglomerate s*#thole that's full of toxic chemicals. Priced reasonably too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyH said:

I also remember how bubly effervescent Coke used to be , it was very sparkly to drink down and we used to drink less of it and feel satisfied ,somehow the new Coke is syrup ,  sweet like honey

A good friend of mine has always been a Coca Cola fanatic and always looking for collectibles to add to his collection. I remember him complaining about how the corporate penny pinchers like to claim they have not changed the recipe and when confronted with facts about exact changes like using high fructose corn syrup they claim it has zero effect of flavor and mouth feel. Your average consumer can even notice a difference let alone a coca cola fanatic that has been around for the major changes done. Besides the high fructose corn syrup the recipe once used real caramel which is what gave it the color, now they just use a caramel coloring additive which isn't caramel, it's just a dye which I believe was at one point in the 80's or 90's labeled as carcinogenic in California.

I remember the old timers talking about when they would get it at soda fountains in pharmacies before it was bottled up and distributed across the country. You could mix in as much syrup into the carbonated water as you wanted, many claim this was the best coca cola ever tasted.