Active Crossover Question and Automation

seasterl

Does anyone make an active crossover that uses a calibrated microphone and has its own frequency sweep tone and can automatically adjust slopes and time alignment for a two-way loudspeaker setup assuming I enter the crossover point?  What’s the closest product currently available on the market that’s suitable for home use and high quality?  If nothing available that does this, what’s the current best crossover?  

The two active crossover companies that are the most common on here are miniDSP and Xilica. Neither will automatically run sweeps and do the calibration for you. With those two products, most get a umik calibrated micophone and the free software REW (Room EQ Wizard. You can find details on doing this in Chris A's thread on active crossovers:

A few on here have use the DBX venue360 with success. You can get a calibrated mic with it and do more automatic setup. This model DBX does a 96k sampling/conversion, as does the Xilica and miniDSP HD. The DBX comes out of the PA/live sound market. The miniDSP is on the lower end price wise.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4-hd

https://dbxpro.com/en/products/driverack-venu360

Thanks!  I’ve heard of the miniDSP before, but didn’t know about the quality.  I’d hate to have thousands of dollars worth of electronics all going through a $200 device that’s on par with car stereo quality. If there’s any anecdotal impressions about the miniDSP sound quality, that would be great.  I’d read an old thread that praised the EV DC-One, and it looks great on paper, but wasn’t sure if it was still a great option. Years ago I used the Bryston 10B, but they’ve since been long out of production and worn-out used once’s still sell for more than they cost new. I didn’t know if that meant there was still no quality replacement.  I suspect there is or Bryston would not have stopped making them. The downside to the Bryston peace was that you had to choose which model you wanted, and it was a compromise on slopes and crossover point options, and there was no time correction. It was a price unit tonight offer everything a person needed.  With the community here agree that some of these newer options available do not degrade the sound quality?  

I used to use a MiniDSP 4x10 HD and currently use a Xilica XP-4080. I didn't notice a difference in sound quality when I switched, but prefer the Xilica's user interface. I think either is a good choice.

The MiniDSP is still in production. The Xilica is discontinued and may be hard to find.

I also had a MIniDSP 2x4 non HD for my subs. I would not recommend the non HD.

• Like 1

MiniDSP 4x10HD user here.  Unfortunately, there is no automated solution that provides what you are looking for.  The process of setting up an active digital crossover and EQ is an iterative on that involves measuring, adjusting and repeating the process until it sounds and measures right.  It really isn't too hard once you get it all figured out, and I find the flexibility on tailoring my system to sound the way I want to be amazing.  I can't imagine going back to analog electronics again.

As far as sound quality of the MiniDSP units goes, I have never heard a non-HD model before, so I can't comment on those.  I have also never used any of the Xilica products.  However, I can say unequivocally that my sound quality improved DRASTICALLY when I ditched the analog crossovers and switched to the MiniDSP setup.  If the MiniDSP is messing with my sound quality, I sure can't tell.  And it is certainly degrading it FAR less than an analogue crossover would.  I think the doubts about sound quality with any modern-generation DSP based crossover are likely unfounded.  They are at least as good as any other piece of equipment in a typical system.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 7:38 AM, CECAA850 said:

Would love to see a comparison of a minidsp HD and other actives.  I think people look down their noses at it due to its low price and want to justify their spending more.  It has a great interface as well.

I used the minidsp.  It was great except the very high noise floor that is obnoxious on high sensitivity speakers…