New in this world, moving from 14 year old sony system to Klipsch+Denon, recommendation?

digitallxd

hi all,

Recently I have been obsessing with the idea to upgrade my home cinema to an ATMOS system. 14 years ago, back when I was a student, I bought my first 5.1 Sony system, a HT-DDWG800 which is an AV Receiver+ 5 speakers + Subwoofer + an adapter to get Bluetooth. I have to say that overall, I was more than happy with this setup for a long time, and IT STILL works even I have been moving it literally all over the world since I am now an expat living abroad.  Best 300 euros spent in my life. 

When I bought the system I saw many folks that already recommended to change the speakers included for better ones, which I didn't since I always lived in small spaces and that was already a lot of power. The speakers themselves are quite small, all like bookshelf size, or even smaller.

Now I have my own UST 4K projector and more budget so spend, thinking of the next coming years, and then is when I started checking for some newer systems. First I saw the Sonos and Samsung Soundbars, which at least at the store performed very well, but from my point of view they are somehow a downgrade, Sonos even requires some adapters, don't work with DTS-X,  require eArc connections, no bluetooth, and to be honest they are still big equipments, so I don't see myself into it.  

At this moment I live in a space with a high ceiling (around 4 meters), and I would say the area to cover with speakers is somehow like 20-25 sqm, but it is actually a more open space, and then I am thinking whether to go with this setup:

RP-6000F (fronts)x 2

RP-600C (center) x 1

KLIPSCH RP-600M(rear) x 2

SPL-120 (sub) x 2

KLIPSCH RP-500SA(side) x 2

KLIPSCH RP-500SA(ceiling/wall for ATMOS) x 2

DENON X3700H x 1

As far as I understand this is a 7.2.4 system, but I am not sure.

1) Will the 3700h be enough power these speakers?  or I need to go to an 4700H(+500 extra USD)? 

2) For the additional speakers, which amp to buy (cheap)?

3) Will this setup be TOO much? I am worried about the size of the 6000f's, or whether 2 subwoofers will be enough.

4) Do these speakers sound well with voice, whisperings, and also have clear highs? I am more excited to get the sound effects all over than just it being super loud. 

5) will I really notice so much difference from my current 5.1 system? 

6) I also like to hold parties at home, listen music and so on(not an audiophile though, mainly commercial music), how well does it perform?

7) How many years can a Klipsch speaker last? 

Sorry for so many questions, but considering I am doing a huge upgrade here, I want to get the best of it. Also, if I can get a similar result with a cheaper system I would also go for it!

thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...

@digitallxd welcome to the forum, sorry your post has not yet been answered. Partly, there is no “right” answer.

My thoughts are to keep the number of speakers to 5.1.2.  The setup you described looks like a 5.2.4. My preference is fewer speakers better quality but that is just me.  And, I don’t run Atmos so sorry not much help there.  You can add speakers over time if needed.

I have owned 3 generations of Denon AVR, the most recent being a x4300h. With all Klipsch your Denon x3700h May be ok... but going up 1 level won’t likely change a lot.  Just be aware, the more speakers the harder the AVR is working. Be sure there is a lot of space around it for heat dissipation.  

My my last comment is again only my experience and not related to the gear you are looking at, but... my Klipsch Heresy (2 pair) are 40 years old, so they have lasted very well and I wouldn’t change them for new speakers (partly because I’ve done lots of work on them).

Hopefully others will comment.