Quick! $600 for a pair of Cornwall 1 from 1979 in rough shape with no grills?

gsgleason

On 1/1/2022 at 6:21 PM, geezin' said:

Could ya really lose on a genuine pair of Cornwall @ $600?

Both tweeters were blown.  Seller gave me $150 off after he did a quick google search for k77 tweeters.  I didn't argue and took it for $450.

Ordered replacement diaphragms from simply speakers and they should be here this weekend.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gsgleason said:

Both tweeters were blown.  Seller gave me $150 off after he did a quick google search for k77 tweeters.  I didn't argue and took it for $450.

Ordered replacement diaphragms from simply speakers and they should be here this weekend.

Awesome!  Well, not awesome about the tweeters but awesome on the score!  Make sure to post some pics.

Also, before you order new tweeters, open up the cabinets and unscrew and tighten each screw in the crossover network.  It'll give a better contact point.  Actually, it's possible the tweeters may work just by doing that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsgleason said:

Photos or it didn't happen. :D

36 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Awesome!  Well, not awesome about the tweeters but awesome on the score!  Make sure to post some pics.

Also, before you order new tweeters, open up the cabinets and unscrew and tighten each screw in the crossover network.  It'll give a better contact point.  Actually, it's possible the tweeters may work just by doing that.

When I looked at them I removed the back and disconnected the tweeters from the crossover and connected them directly to the speaker wire.  Nothing.  Not a peep. 

Fortunately the diaphragms are only like $20 each from simply speakers and I've heard mostly positive results. 

5 minutes ago, geezin' said:

Photos or it didn't happen. :D

They are extremely rough.  These were severely abused.  I want to test the performance before deciding if I want to invest in a makeover.  I have some photos in another post.

Nah, I've encountered people who just don't even like storing stuff that size and when the time comes they don't even care.  Deal with a few tire-kickers, no-shows, etc. and there's a tolerance for transaction-grief, you know?  And most people have zero clue about CW.  I experienced it right before I sold mine and had them in the garage--people just walk right by them and don't get it, even when you tell them.  I was trying to help someone out by letting them sell mine and split it.  After they missed the point, I put them on CL and sold 'em inside half an hour with plenty of backups in case it fell-through (but that was also in a large metro area).  I've seen the dinged-up ones sit for a while in rural areas even when priced to move.  "Hey <insert spouse> look what I just got for <$$$> !!!!"  The reactions might vary some : )

On 1/7/2022 at 8:21 AM, geezin&#x27; said:

You know that's said in jest don't you?

Well Cornwalls on the cheap something's gotta be subpar. How do they sound would be the question.

Well, both tweeters were blown.  I replaced the diaphragms, but now there is another odd issue.  One of the crossovers is borked and I'm getting very low treble out of one of them.  I posted about it in the technical forum. 

I listened to them when I got them and aside from the bad tweeters they sounded great.  I have no idea what caused the sudden drop in treble on one of them.

• Like 1

The discussion about the crossovers is in the technical forum. 

As for the cabinet, if I can get the things working and if I like them, I'm going to start with a stripper, then sand and fill, and see if I can get the filled parts to look good enough.  If not the next step will be to veneer over the whole thing.

Currently waiting on some caps, so it will be a bit.

• Like 1

A bit of power and finishing sanding, building up the corner and gouges, and staining medium walnut would do wonders to minimizing the damage and improving the esthetics. Nice find.

I'd live with them for quite a while before rebuilding xover and upgrading the horn compression drivers, using different set-ups and cabling. I have '86 Forte and like them so much stock that I've never gone down the upgrade route.

• Like 1