Farewell old friend

sputnik

I first learned of Klipsch when I visited a stereo store in Windsor, Ontario (Canada) with a classmate, Mike Lazaridus. We were researching what to get for a sound system for dances for our high school.

Mike was about the only kid in high school who knew anything about electronics. He was incredibly enthusiastic about Klipsch. If I recall correctly, Mike told me that Klipsch was used in labs to recreate sonic booms. (We'd believe anything back then).

Mike went on to found Research In Motion, which he later renamed Blackberry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, RandyH said:

BlackBerry was ahead of the entire Worldwide Cell phone industry-Hamilton Ontario -Same sad story as Nortel  , Another Canadian Giant .

Blackberry was actually based in Waterloo, Ontario. Waterloo is just over an hour's drive from Toronto and a little less than an hour from Hamilton.

Mike dropped out of the University of Waterloo EE program in his 4th year after getting a contract (from GM for some displays, IIRC). For a while, Blackberry did all sorts of different things (including inventing a means to sync audio on films, for which they won a technical Oscar) before going on to invent the smart phone.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dave MacKay said:

Blackberry was actually based in Waterloo, Ontario. Waterloo is just over an hour's drive from Toronto and a little less than an hour from Hamilton.

Mike dropped out of the University of Waterloo EE program in his 4th year after getting a contract (from GM for some displays, IIRC). For a while, Blackberry did all sorts of different things (including inventing a means to sync audio on films, for which they won a technical Oscar) before going on to invent the smart phone.

Cool history Dave.  I really hate to see it go.  Brilliant design with a straightforward and uncluttered OS.   With the keyboard, trackpad, and touch screen, I never felt the need to upgrade beyond the BB Classic.  I have an older Google phone and a iPhone 12 with different carriers but this old BlackBerry smokes ‘em (imho) and has been my EDC.  ATT sent me a Calypso (whatever that is) to activate tomorrow.  Once I settle on a new phone, maybe I’ll just keep the Calypso as a burner.  I like the camera on the new iPhone 13 pro but randy has a good point in favor of another Google phone.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2022 at 11:12 PM, sputnik said:

Once I settle on a new phone, maybe I’ll just keep the Calypso as a burner

A burner? Are you engaged in risky business? Montana?  Could you be running an illegal dental floss farm?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, thebes said:

A burner? Are you engaged in risky business? Montana?  Could you be running an illegal dental floss farm?

Umm…….er……well…mmmm…nooo.  Yes, that would definitely be no.  Anyway, the ‘ol BlackBerry is still breathing.

0BA4B1D0-2441-45CF-8C09-B51A187BBAE0.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...