Veterans with dementia?

DizRotus

Neil, a lot of the work our company does is aging and dementia. I'll ask our lead doctor tomorrow. He's got the credentials and connections:

Rick Rader, MD, FAAIDD, FAADM, DHL (hon)

Director, Habilitation Center, Orange Grove Center

Member, National Council on Disability

President, American Association on Health and Disability

Board, American Academy of Developmental Medicine and Dentistry

Executive Committee, Friends of the National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Medical Advisory Committee, Special Olympics International

Emeritus Advisor, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, US Dept of Health and Human Services

Editor-in-chief, Exceptional Parent Magazine

Member, National Academy of Practice in Medicine

National Medical Advisor, National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, juniper said:

Lots of Turmeric.... 2000 plus studies done.......

Don't get healthcare information from the internet and consult a doctor.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/risk-factors-and-prevention/turmeric-and-dementia

From the link:

There is currently no real evidence that supports turmeric being used to prevent or treat Alzheimer’s disease. 

https://www.alzheimersorganization.org/alzheimers-prevention

From the link:

Heart health is directly related to brain health; the heart supplies the brain with the blood and nutrients the brain needs to maintain itself. A healthy heart supplies the brain with the amount of blood it needs, an unhealthy heart may not.

Numerous studies have shown the beneficial effects of exercise on the health of brain. Cardiovascular exercise causes an increase in blood flow to the brain which brings nutrients which the brain uses to create new brain cells, maintain existing brain cells, and remove the brain's harmful waste products.

1 hour ago, juniper said:

Lots of Turmeric.... 2000 plus studies done.......

not a bad idea at all  if not a good nutrient to add to daily foods  , but  the Vietnam Vets were also exposed to AO and Napalm  which does  lead to Alzheimer and Dementia   .

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Agent Orange has been a huge problem for those in country during the war and now well recognized.

@DizRotus  Neil, what age are we talking about?

Bruce

Bruce,

He served in Vietnam, therefore his age is approximately the same as the last year he served in country.  According to his spouse, three years ago he didn’t know what a cashew is.  The decline has been swift since then.  My friend is now faced with huge decisions regarding her spouse’s care.

I asked her about the impact of Vietnam.  She said the neurologist said there was no connection.  I would respectfully disagree.

• Like 4

I appreciate everyone’s sincere suggestions.  As you might imagine, I’ll filter what I share with my friend and when.  At this point she is overwhelmed with well-intentioned, but often conflicting, advice.

Her husband, and all veterans, deserve to be respected, appreciated and helped to face their struggles, whether caused directly by their service, or not.

• Like 4

if I remember it correctly  . The threshold of the VA prior to 2018 was based on Household income  whereas it is now based on Net income /Net worth  - nonetheless , he has been suffering for years and he does have the right to benefit from the previous VA Laws   .

15 hours ago, Marvel said:

Agent Orange has been a huge problem for those in country during the war and now well recognized.

@DizRotus  Neil, what age are we talking about?

Bruce

Believe me I know. Unfortunately there was a thread in the Old BS Forum where I shared a story of my dad who died of Cancer and was in charge of Supply in Da Nang (1967) where alot of the Agent Orange was stored. He died at the age of 59 in Jacksonville Arkansas where we live...

On 4/19/2021 at 9:00 AM, Zen Traveler said:

I lived in Jacksonville Arkansas for my Jr and Sr High School years and we used to frequent the woods near a plant called Vertec. Vertac - Encyclopedia of Arkansas  In 1986  I moved to Texas and within a couple years I was watching Sam Donaldson on one of those weekly 20/20 type shows and low and behold he was standing in front of our cities water tower with the show's caption "Dioxenville USA." 🥺 Evidently before Vertec took over the company was called Hercules and they buried 10s of thousands of barrels that contained the main ingredient for Agent Orange and the barrels were starting to leak en-mass. I remember that states bordering Arkansas wouldn't let it be transported so they had to develop a special incinerator and that's how they got rid of it. My best friend and his family lived on the outskirts of the company and each individual received a payout from a law suit that was pretty substantial. 

Not sure if it was because of his exposure in Vietnam, Jacksonville, or the 2 packs of Cigarettes he smoked until his death but I get your point.

15 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I asked her about the impact of Vietnam.  She said the neurologist said there was no connection.

My guess is if he's over the age of 70 there could be other causes for a case of Dementia and why the neurologist said this. That said, if he's a veteran I thought the VA was the one who is responsible for his treatment. 

@DizRotusYou might want to share the approach of care through the VA from a "disability rating" starting point-if you can.  Having a disability rating can remove many obstacles, including financial.  It did for me as well as several Veteran friends.  Best well wishes on a devastating illness. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Seadoc said:

@DizRotusYou might want to share the approach of care through the VA from a "disability rating" starting point-if you can.  Having a disability rating can remove many obstacles, including financial.  It did for me as well as several Veteran friends.  Best well wishes on a devastating illness. 

Please check PM.

Am I able to contact the VA “asking for a friend?”

Right now, my friend attaches a stigma to needing VA help.  Also, she feels that her husband’s financial success precludes him from receiving VA help.  I need to be certain that help is available before I put additional stress on her during this stressful situation.

• Like 1