Klipsch MWMs, just for the fun of it!

geoff.

On 1/5/2022 at 9:59 AM, geoff. said:

From the book of Klipsch, the gospel of Claude, I too am of the belief that the MWM was originally engineered using the K-33.

Geoff, here's a suggestion:  why not build yourself a pair (or a quad) of single MWMs, using all the gear out of the doubles that you have?  I understand that the carpentry is not that complicated.  dtel can tell you about that.  That way, you could get them into the house.  Or bring two in the house and leave two in the garage.  Win-win!

• Like 1

You know what @Islander, I actually entertained that notion with the seller. There is another member “local” to me that has those skills and connections, and I’m sure that will come up in conversation when he gets a chance to audition these in person once this craziness gets squared away. Hopefully by May two-four!

In all honesty though, I think I would be inclined to go with Dave A’s “Super MWM” design if I was going to be picking up a saw. It’s not too big and not too small, just the size of Montreal, lol. And goes deeper!

I have cut my last Klipsch. And I wish to atone for my sins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/18/2022 at 6:27 PM, geoff. said:

You know what @Islander, I actually entertained that notion with the seller. There is another member “local” to me that has those skills and connections, and I’m sure that will come up in conversation when he gets a chance to audition these in person once this craziness gets squared away. Hopefully by May two-four!

In all honesty though, I think I would be inclined to go with Dave A’s “Super MWM” design if I was going to be picking up a saw. It’s not too big and not too small, just the size of Montreal, lol. And goes deeper!

I have cut my last Klipsch. And I wish to atone for my sins.

geoff, it sounds like you’re thinking of the various possibilities, but as you say, you might as well spend some time getting used to your MWMs before picking up a saw, assuming that ever becomes a logical step for you.  I started off with a pair of old La Scalas, then I discovered the madness of the Forum, and things got weird.  I was up to ten Heritage Series speakers for a while, until I sold a pair of Heresy IIs to an up-Island (for us here, up-Island means North of wherever you might be on the Island, Victoria in my case) Forum member, who’s very happy with them.

What I mean is that this is the greatest bunch of enablers I’ve ever seen.  “You’re not sure where you want to spend your money?  Well, we can help you with that.”  To be fair, I’ve often been one of those enablers myself.

Yes, May Two-Four would be an auspicious date to have your MWMs ready for action, and fully dialled in a bit later.  Are you far from Molson Park in Barrie? Do they still have the Canada Day Festival there?  I rode up there on my bike with my teenage daughter in 1991 for the event, with Violent Femmes, Crash Test Dummies, Teenage Head, and more.  We had a great time.  I could imagine you getting a call from them on Canada Day 2022, going something like, “Oi!  Turn it down!  You don’t have to play them at 11, you know!”

• Like 1

@Islander, Molson Park is now Park Place, a retail centre anchored by Cabelas and across the road from Costco, lol.

The Molson Brewery relocated over twenty years ago and the facility became one of the largest secret grow-ops for a brief period until the cat got out of the bag.

You have to drive another half hour north now to Burl’s Creek for an outdoor venue. The Stones packed about 70,000 people in there in 2019.

...really missing live performers at this point, that is what is really criminal.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the update, sad as it may be.  One of the last shows I saw here was the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, during Victoria Ska & Reggae Fest, which happens every June, when things are normal.  This was two or three years ago.  They did a great show, but it wasn't until I got home that I had a close look at the pictures and saw that the bass player's fingers had been bleeding during the show.  That's commitment!

At the start of that show, I was able to join some press shooters, who were leaning on the stage on their elbows, shooting with their widest lenses.  Luckily, I had brought mine, too.  Later in the show, I switched to longer lenses, but I was able to stay right at the stage all evening.  It's great when you can do that!

Shortly before I left Toronto, in September 2001, I noticed that Sanctuary, The Vampire Sex Bar (that's its full name), a Goth hangout on Queen Street West, had been sold and was now a Starbucks!  No more skinny young people with white faces and black clothes, hanging around on the sidewalk, doing their best to look creepy.  That club was on my way home, so I'd pass by it late in the evening a few days a week.  A Starbucks?!?  TO had lost its soul, so I decamped to Victoria.  Hardly any vampires here, but nearly no snow either.  It works for me.

On 1/4/2022 at 9:38 PM, geoff. said:

if you’re ever headed north on the 400 my door will be open to you! The garage will be tight, but I’ll just put the snowblower in the driveway, lol!

I was browsing through the forums and then this reference to the 400 caught my eye. Later in the thread I learned that you're near Barrie. 

I'm in Mississauga. After wanting some for ~40 years, I picked up a pair of 1986 La Scalas last summer. I've been enjoying --- and tinkering with --- them ever since.

I'd love to see your MWMs sometime, and just chew the fat with another Klipsch enthusiast.

• Like 1

I'd been wanting either La Scalas or Belle Klipsches, ever since I saw them at Executive Stereo at Fairview Mall in Toronto in 1972.  In 2006, I nearly bumped into a La Scala in a local vintage hi-fi shop, and two days later it and its brother were in my living room.  Since then, I got a pair of 1980s Belles from the Music Department at UVic (I just needed one, to serve as Front Centre and TV stand.  The spare one sits in a back corner), and later a pair of La Scala IIs from a guy south of Vancouver.  They became my new main left and right speakers, then the OG La Scalas became my Surround speakers, replacing a pair of Heresy IIs.

The Heresy IIs, which had come from a guy who lived north of Kingston, Ontario, are now with a Forum member from up-Island, who's very happy with them.  That's 4 Heritage speakers that I've brought to the Island.  A noble mission, IMO.

My TO connection?  I lived there for 30 years, from Richmond Hill to Etobicoke, and many points in between.  Now I live in Victoria.

• Like 1

In case you were wondering where I found my speakers, the Heresy IIs, both pairs, were on Canuck Audio Mart, and the La Scala IIs and Belles were spotted by me or pointed out to me on the Forum.  Only one of the five pairs, the original La Scalas, showed up in a shop.  Networking is the best way to find classic Klipsch speakers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found a pair of La Scala cabinets sitting on a porch... saw them as I drove by and went back to ask about them. They had no klipsch parts in them, but for $100 they were mine. They were beaters,  but I had a nice pair already. It took me a few years, but I finally got them put together. My older son now has them.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Nearly all Klipsch Heritage and Pro Series speakers are 24” or less in depth, so that they can fit behind the screen in a movie house.  That means they’re not too big to come inside.  The only exception that comes to mind is the “double-decker” MWM bass cabinets.  

As for WAF, there have been a number of reports of spouses being unhappy to see those big boxes in “her” living room, until they hear their favourite song through them.  In at least two instances, the now enlightened spouse has said something like, “There’s no way you’re selling those wonderful speakers!  They are here to stay!”  I’m paraphrasing, but I’m not kidding.  I have seen at least two reports of reactions like that on the Forum.  Speaking for myself, I’ve never heard even a hint of any grumbling about my speakers from any visitors, day or overnight ones.