Guitar pedals, etc?

Invidiosulus

Who else in here likes making weird sounds with electric guitars? 

A6C0E553-5738-47E5-85FC-F8C274106B64.jpeg.e8e4b4db53b1d306204ee178218cd402.jpeg
F63BBF2F-BF43-4AD0-B7CD-7AE5F6D0F720.thumb.jpeg.1d98136dae90a653e4f1b35f660d6ed8.jpeg

I’ve been growing my collection over the past two years and I’ve modded the three pictured here.

3-way switchable diodes/opamp gain style and some parts swapping to tighten up the sound on the DF-2

Asymmetric/Symmetric clipping and a presence boost on the SD-1 along with a Burr-Brown opamp and some other changes to clean up unwanted noise.

The TS9 was the simplest with a socketed opamp(JRC4558) and a couple of resistors replaced to change the circuit to TS808 spec.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Being a bass player I generally don't use effects pedals, but when I do, I prefer this vintage Digitech IPS33 Super Harmony Machine/Pitch Shifter.

Digitech Ips 33B

I believe Pink Floyd's David Gillmour still has one in his rack.

This thing does pretty much anything. Harmonizes in thirds, fifths, whatever, arpeggios, chords, etc. AND it has over 100 preset effects that are absolutely awesome cool!! Mono in, mono or simulated stereo out.

I did a gig once where the idiot band leader/guitar player/songwriter had to leave the gig early to go to his "door man" job at a gold coast condo and left me and the drummer to finish the remaining two sets. Fortunately the drummer had an electronic drum kit. Between me and my stereo bass rig with the Super Harmony Machine, and the electronic drums (I did the lights via foot switches) we actually pulled off a pretty wild and well liked completely improvised gig.

• Like 2

Last night I dropped a spdt switch with a couple of caps into my Boss DD-6 digital delay.

it gives me the option to roll off the high frequency on the repeats which gives a more “analog” sound and helps the repeats sit behind the straight guitar tone.E512C346-DE06-48D2-B243-3934937D809A.jpeg.687248a0dd16582aa150f69343baf88c.jpeg0252102B-3347-450B-AF41-3B314FE05C89.jpeg.3bc1d8f6460547b37395dd33d8c04254.jpegF89ACB5C-5C6B-4D91-B267-C676EA8E7CD2.jpeg.bb15ec60c50a8429dcd6798b6487ee14.jpeg

I also have a DOD Bass Chorus & Flanger, MXR Bass Octave, Digitech stereo Jam Man and MXR bass compression pedal.

The only one I usually use is the MXR compression pedal when I'm using one of my older amps like Standel. And even then, very sparingly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Invidiosulus said:

Last night I dropped a spdt switch with a couple of caps into my Boss DD-6 digital delay.

it gives me the option to roll off the high frequency on the repeats which gives a more “analog” sound and helps the repeats sit behind the straight guitar tone.E512C346-DE06-48D2-B243-3934937D809A.jpeg.687248a0dd16582aa150f69343baf88c.jpeg

That looks like a good idea. Can you provide more detail on exactly what you did?

I should note that the Digitech IPS33 is actually an analog unit, not digital, even though the name kind of implies digital.

44 minutes ago, artto said:

That looks like a good idea. Can you provide more detail on exactly what you did?

I should note that the Digitech IPS33 is actually an analog unit, not digital, even though the name kind of implies digital.

Here is an article that explains the mod.

http://tonehack.blogspot.com/2012/02/boss-dd-6-high-cut-mod.html?m=1

I only used a spdt switch and so only modified the mono A channel.

If you like weird sounds one of my all time favorite analog pedals is the Fuzz Factory, it has a bunch of knobs connected to pots to change the operating points and gain of the transistors. It can make a ton of very unique sounds. I use one setting called 'atari' or whatever that sounds so unique I use it for some progressive jazz solos and it's just off the wall amazing sounding, like vintage 80's video game soundtrack tones that are out of this world.

spacer.png

On 2/5/2022 at 12:24 PM, artto said:

I believe Pink Floyd's David Gillmour still has one in his rack.

He must still have one of these also.

I remember getting this original script logo MXR Phase 100 over 40 years ago. David Gilmour uses it during "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" after the organ intro part where he plays those four notes that ring on while the drums build and the whole band kicks in. The sound is just incredible. I have had it so long because it just has such a lush tone to it and the settings are very versatile. I highly recommend. The other 45 and 90 are good too but this one is the best.

phase100.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

A few years ago, I saw Buddy Guy play here.  To my surprise, he had no pedals for most of the show.  He did have a wah pedal to do Voodoo Child (Slight Return), but that was it.  Of course, it's possible that he had some kind of rig behind the curtain, maybe with his guitar tech operating it, but it sounded like he was playing it straight, and he sounded really good.

However, there's only one Buddy Guy.  I've seen a picture of Jimi Hendrix in the audience at a Buddy Guy show, and he looked really attentive.  Of course, Jimi went on to use lots of effects.  I've read that he was one of the earliest guitarists to use an octave(r) pedal.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Islander said:

What's the green box at the bottom with the shamrock on it?  Does it give a fiddle or harp tone?

It’s a JHS pedals “The Clover” which is an updated clone of the Boss FA-1 FET preamp. 
It ads a mid EQ knob and an XLR out and the EQ section is switchable in and out of the signal path so it can be used as a straight gain boost.

The Edge from U2 has used the Boss FA-1 a lot and they are worth some money.

@Marvelhas an FA-1 but we haven’t had a chance to compare the two.

• Thanks 1