Tuning Heresy II with ALK universal crossover

I'm feeling committed to this pair of Heresy II's i found used recently.  For those that have experience with the ALK universal economy crossover upgrade - does anyone have some guidance to share that will help me optimize  / tune these?   How have you  specifically tuned the crossover & what was the sonic difference??  I'm holed up all winter, so would like some guidance as I play with these.  

Thank you & Happy New Year!

Edited by heresyForthe1sttime
clarity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, heresyForthe1sttime said:

I'm feeling committed to this pair of Heresy II's i found used recently.  For those that have experience with the ALK universal economy crossover upgrade - does anyone have some guidance to share that will help me optimize  / tune these?   How have you  specifically tuned the crossover & what was the sonic difference??  I'm holed up all winter, so would like some guidance as I play with these.  

Thank you & Happy New Year!

I used the ALK crossovers with my Heresy I speakers. I adjusted them a couple of times to see what I would get. I got volume differences between the drivers, which was very educational, but I finally reset everything to the original settings. The original settings are the very best settings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, heresyForthe1sttime said:

For those that have experience with the ALK universal economy crossover upgrade - does anyone have some guidance to share that will help me optimize  / tune these?   How have you  specifically tuned the crossover & what was the sonic difference??  I'm holed up all winter, so would like some guidance as I play with these.  

Why not call or email Al?

i understand that you can attenuate (is that the correct word?) the squak / tweeter.  That seems very interesting to me, especially in terms of optimizing the  balance at lower listening levels, but i guess no one thinks the way i do, and has little explore/discover with this flexible crossover.   Hooray for Heresys!!

2 hours ago, heresyForthe1sttime said:

i do not have a schematic & I think the autoformer settings adjust the db levels?  please advise. 

Send Al an email. He's very responsive to emails.

For me, I just followed the instructions/description on the ALK website, adjusted the autoformer settings, and listened. Evaluating the sonic differences only takes a few minutes or even  seconds. 

That’s why I asked if he bought them new. If you buy them new, you get instructions. If you buy them used, you don’t.

The schematic is helpful because it shows you the attenuation level for the mid range. This should be your starting point. In the case of the Heresy 2, that would be -10dB. The tweeter appears to be run full out on those. 

Thank you!  You gave exactly what I was looking for.  baseline and adjust from there.   I really have no experience with this stuff, but my ears are in pursuit of optimizing the mid range for low volume listening.  If this crossover does that (magically)I will be very happy.   Only one way to find out, which is why i thought this crossover offers something thoughtful that could be valuable.   

• 2 years later...

I better go to my celler and look through the boxes.  Because I missed the instructions, etc. that must have come with the speakers.  I have only had the Heresy IV for a month or so.  Thanks for the tip, folks.  Headed downstairs now.  

I imagine (don't know for sure), that Klipsch isn't expecting you to open your Heresy IVs  and make adjustments on the crossovers.

The original poster bought 3rd Prty crossovers made for adjustmemts.