Klipsch RP 8000F Placement Ideas and Help

VintageHero

Hello,

I have lived with the Klipsch RP-8000F for about six month, I’m super happy with the purchase.

Have recently started to revise my speaker placement and experiment with toe in angles.

My listening area is about  20’x12’, speakers are placed on the long wall so I’m sitting about 7 feet from each speaker,

they are out 2 feet from the front wall and more or less 7 feet apart.

Right now I have them toed, at about a 20 degree angle so that the sound from the tweeters end up at a point directly behind my head,

I know this is recommended as a starting place by people on the Internet.

Before this I had them in a much more reserved angle maybe about 10 - 12 degrees, I like how it sounds but I don't know if it is ideal.

I get greater focus on the singer now, but I think the soundstage was better before.

If I toe them out a little I start to pick up things that should be in the middle of the soundstage like the singers voice in either left or right channel until I reach that 10 - 12 degrees.

What do you think would be ideal placement / toe in my situation, maybe it could save me some time and would be fun to discuss ideal placement for Klipsch RP-8000F?

@VintageHero,

Welcome to the forum.

8 hours ago, VintageHero said:

What do you think would be ideal placement / toe in my situation, maybe it could save me some time and would be fun to discuss ideal placement for Klipsch RP-8000F?

Really tough to say what would be ideal in your room without us being there.

Many things can factor in to affect imaging, soundstage, bass response, etc., not just placement.

If possible, I would start at about 9-10ft apart with a 10 degree toe in and adjust your listening chair to your liking.

Bill

I could share my experiences with RF42 II speakers.

Mentioning that only because the line of speakers is similar to yours, only a generation or two apart.

With no room treatment, my speakers sound the best when placed in corners of the room and fired diagonally to the opposite corners of the room.

The amount of bass is in correlation with the pulling the speakers out of corners. My speakers are bass shy, so I have them only 8-10 inches away from the corner, measured from the corner to the rear end of the speaker. Try to experiment with the distance to the corners of the room for best acoustical integration of all drivers.

Hi thanks everyone who answered this post.

Yeah I'm back at about 15 degrees now. Have anyone here tried an equilateral triangle position? It just seem so wide in my room (limited by a corner). I have had them in a 1.2 distance a little narrower triangle, It was great for depth but singers head either stuck in the middle or too low.... 

A better question would probably be, how do I know when I have it perfect?

15 minutes ago, VintageHero said:

Hi thanks everyone who answered this post.

Yeah I'm back at about 15 degrees now. Have anyone here tried an equilateral triangle position? It just seem so wide in my room (limited by a corner). I have had them in a 1.2 distance a little narrower triangle, It was great for depth but singers head either stuck in the middle or too low.... 

A better question would probably be, how do I know when I have it perfect?

You´ll find all answers in the above mentioned link, page 3 , scroll down, guess you haven´t watched this one , so why to hell I´m doing this here 🤪

I think I was close to ideal positioning the other day, the singers head changed size according to volume and the music seemed to appear effortlesly in the room, strange imaging in some songs for example with Johnny Cash playing guitar behind his head, stuff like that.

It was not a setup with a perfect triangle I must try that out indeed.. 

I tried every possible method that I could find on internet, including the equilateral triangle position.

They all had pros and cons with my set of speakers and in several rooms I tried them. Equilateral triangle was one of the worst. I believe this is due to how the speakers are designed and of course the room acoustics. But even though the RF42IIs are advertised as good for 2-channel listening, I suspect there is more about that to explore. Clearly the bass region heavily depend on corner loading. Placing them in equilateral triangle (especially if they are a bit more away from the front wall) gets the high freqs tiny, bass is boomy and there are gaps in mid-region. One part I had no problems in any kind of placement is the brighter female voices.

RP 8000 is much more capable speaker, so you should easily get them right.

17 hours ago, VintageHero said:

Have anyone here tried an equilateral triangle position?

On 1/8/2022 at 8:32 PM, VintageHero said:

I’m sitting about 7 feet from each speaker,

they are out 2 feet from the front wall and more or less 7 feet apart.

Wouldn't that be an equilateral triangle?

Bill