[FIXED] Cornwall 1 bad crossover help

gsgleason

@KT88There isn't anything close to 4uF from Nichicon at mouser with a polyester dialectric.

They have 3.3 and 4.7.

They have 4.0 in Polypropylene but not polyester, unless I went with the KemetA50EQ4390AA60J, which they don't stock and I'd have to buy at least 2000 of them. 

Which 4uf cap would you suggest to go with the Nichicon 2.2 uf polyester?

Edited by gsgleason

• Moderators
Just now, gsgleason said:

@KT88There isn't anything close to 4uF from Nichicon at mouser with a polyester dialectric.

They have 3.3 and 4.7.

They have 4.0 in Polypropylene but not polyester, unless I went with the KemetA50EQ4390AA60J.

JEM will have the exact replacements, specified by Klipsch, in value, brand and make of cap. No guess work, no work arounds. Klipsch used to sell the replacement kits, I guess it got to be more work, so they are using JEM to sell their authorized kits. JEM is a long time Klipsch Heritage dealer. 

Apparently you can use other caps, same result (I don't know, I'm not a technical guy). If you don't want to hassle with it, all you do is call them, tell them what you have, they will tell you what kit you need and ship it out.

I will get you a link.

Travis 

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, gsgleason said:

They have 3.3 and 4.7.

They have 4.0 in Polypropylene but not polyester, unless I went with the KemetA50EQ4390AA60J, which they don't stock and I'd have to buy at least 2000 of them. 

Which 4uf cap would you suggest to go with the Nichicon 2.2 uf polyester?

Here is the post by JEM in the JEM Capacitor thread:

"I don't have much time to respond to questions via this forum but I can be reached during normal business hours at theaudioroom@verizon.net or by phone - 412-401-6915. The full quote is below the link. 

That thread also contains a link by Youthman to a Youtube video he did when he ordered capacitor kits for his La Scala Left, Center and Right speakers and had a friend help him with the replacements (he didn't have much/any soldering experience].

The post about them states:

Jim from JEM Performance Audio.  Seems like I need to offer some information about what I do and why I do it with regards to Klipsch Heritage speakers.

The capacitors I sell are approved by Klipsch engineering.  I met personally with Roy Delgado over a year ago and discussed Klipsch crossovers in depth.  Roy took the time to explain the differences in capacitor design and how they react in a network.  My desire was to keep the vintage Klipsch models operating as PWK designed them to sound.  This all came about because I had changed the caps in my Klipschorns to the most recommended and advertised capacitors in Klipsch land.  My Klipschorns were not the same after I changed the caps for sure - but not in a good way.  What changed?  First the bass was peaked out, the tweeter was way too bright and the midrange had no life to it.  It no longer sounded like a Klipschorn should; the realism was gone.  I brought this to Roy's attention and he immediately smiled and proceeded to explain what was happening.  You have to use the correct type of capacitor to maintain the specs of the network as designed by Klipsch.  I know there are those out there that will disagree about this but I can tell you that once I installed the caps Roy recommended, the Klipschorns became totally balanced, the bass was smooth and the midrange open and detailed.  I knew others would appreciate having their Klipsch speakers performing as they should, and together Roy and I put together the authorized network repair center.  I only repair Klipsch speakers to factory specifications using authorized factory approved parts.  Your speakers remain a genuine Klipsch product and will perform just as PWK intended.  No modifications, no BULLS**T. 

So you are probably wondering why should I believe this guy and how does he know what a Klipsch speaker should sound like?

Some background -

I have used Klipsch speakers since the 1970s professionally and personally.  I experienced the Klipsch industrial series products in live sound reinforcement.  I used Klipsch speakers exclusively in both of my professional recording studios.  I personally own Klipschorns, LaScalas, Cornwalls, Heresy Is, IIs, and industrial Heresy stage monitors.

So you see I do know what a Klipsch speaker should sound like.  We have Roy to thank for getting the correct parts available to keep our vintage pieces of audio history alive and well. 

I don't have much time to respond to questions via this forum but I can be reached during normal business hours at theaudioroom@verizon.net or by phone - 412-401-6915.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gsgleason said:

Holy hell, people. 

Anyway, I loosened and tightened all the screws and re-flowed all the solder joints.  It made no difference. 

What is this JEM stuff I'm hearing about?  What do they offer, and how much?

@JEM Performance

theaudioroom@verizon.net ......JEM Performance Audio   (412) 401-6915

Yes if I understand the OP, not wanting to spend abunch on caps since buying speakers and already replacing diaphragm s. Just the 1 that is bad. Seems like on his other thread, they are abit rough after having seen them. Maybe he can finally hear them. Cannot see having new caps on both, when he may be trying to resale, when has those cabs and no grilles to contend with.

Polyester went out in the 60s. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, billybob said:

Yes if I understand the OP, not wanting to spend a bunch on caps since buying speakers and already replacing diaphragm s. Just the 1 that is bad. Seems like on his other thread, they are abit rough after having seen them. Maybe he can finally hear them. Cannot see having new caps on both, when he may be trying to resale, when has those cabs and no grilles to contend with.

Polyester went out in the 60s. 

If he can isolate the one bad cap (I had not seen that he had isolated that yet) and he can find a the value he needs, and he is just going to sell them, then yeah, I agree 100% Dean or someone (KT88, Jim) would maybe know what's close enough for government work. 

I wasn't aware of a second thread, there's a lot there I wasn't aware of. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Travis In Austin said:

If he can isolate the one bad cap (I had not seen that he had isolated that yet) and he can find a the value he needs, and he is just going to sell them, then yeah, I agree 100% Dean or someone (KT88, Jim) would maybe know what's close enough for government work. 

I wasn't aware of a second thread, there's a lot there I wasn't aware of. 

Yes the seller knocked some off for replacing diaphagms.

Not sure what OP may do in future. Thanks!

• Moderators
Just now, billybob said:

Yes the seller knocked some off for replacing diaphagms.

Not sure what OP may do in future. Thanks!

Oh wait, I misunderstood. The previous thread was by the seller, and the OP in this thread we are not sure what he intends to do. 

Dean, don't you have a 50 cent cap laying around you can send him? What he need? Type, voltage rating, etc., I probably have them laying around here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

Well you were making suggestions to help determine if it was even a cap (giving the sudden loss of sound to the tweeter he experienced), and continued to try and isolate the problem. 

Kind of normal really. We all try to run them through the normal stuff that can go wrong.

• gsgleason changed the title to [FIXED] Cornwall 1 bad crossover help