gonna be crazy year...

Marvel

### Travis. You can delete this if you want... [Response to Bruce: I won't lock or delete the thread if I don't have to, I will just boot out those who violate the specific rules for this thread, which is it's fine to discuss the emotional and mental impact of the latest surge, either due to people at work being positive, losing staff, family who are positive. That's it, nothing else. Violators get a warning (usually), then they are banned from the thread]

Our company, which cares for folks with developmental and inetellectual disabilites, had done pretty well over the past two years, but now having trouble.

The end of last week, we had 43 people test positive for Covid, a mix of staff and clients. A couple are in the hospital.

Since most are in our group homes (anywhere from 2-10 inividuals), they can be kept isolated, but it makes it harder for staff, as they can't move around. And we are down about 20-30% on staff, mostly due to low pay.

My wife manages a house with two individuals, and two staff other than herself. One was out for two weeks (tested positive), so they were doing 12hrs on, 12 off. Back to full staff, but it was rough for a while (the staff who was positive hasn't been vaccinated- so far not required).

We have family in Ireland who has tested positive... they're isolated at home. Feeling like flu so far.

Wife and I are fine... just rambling a bit.

• Like 3

Most of our family (5 of 7) have now had 2 x full dose and 1 x booster shots, plus flu shots.  Starting to feel like a pin cushion, but the alternative for some of us would not be good as we have 2 family members with immune system or lung issues. 

Health care workers are amazing, I don’t know how folks are surviving and so many people backed up for other health treatment. Only option, regardless f your take on vaccines, is to keep yourself and your family healthy and take all precautions you can.  Stay safe, don’t let down your guard, be careful.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Wife and I are fine... just rambling a bit.

Ramble on. My thoughts are with you.

I can't help but wonder how life as we've known it might change over the next year or two. I know change is constant, but...

• Like 1

This could easily be derailed with political comment but that in itself is needless. This has proven itself to be more than any government can control. Know one can control or appease peoples mental state with month after month of depressing news. Which is not helped with “the news” constantly describing death, rates, shortages, overload, etc. Then of course positive news doesn’t sell - 

• Like 3

Is there a roof overhead? Is it warm? You have enough to eat? If yes all is good. Yes that's tough to accept but there's a vast difference between needs and wants. Reminding myself of this is a constant struggle. And agreed things are way crazy.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

My family and friends are so weary with it all. No answer and no end in sight apparently.  

2 years of doom and gloom and its getting to ya?  Say it ain't so.

I am sick of it myself.  Burned out and tired of the whole thing. It  dominates national and local news.  You can't turn on any type media beit radio, tv or internet without getting slapped in the face with it.  Enough already.  Its gone way past PSA's.  

• Like 3

I'm not confident I can say this here, not sure if I need to remove certain words or phrases, don't know if it really even matters. Probably destined to thread lock and deletion. My contribution to this non-political thread related to the long term care situation:

We are moving into a very rough stretch over these next couple of months. It's going to be a record breaking year. 

The most important thing to keep in mind is that this affects all 8 Billion of us.

Nobody will be left unaffected in some form or fashion. Silver lining is there is a good chance that herd immunity finally becomes a reality and this whole thing becomes endemic in the next year or two. There will be untold numbers of unfortunate survivors of this devastation that will require a lifetime of medical assistance. You will most likely not see them, not hear about them, will not be aware of them, but they will be there, and we will all be paying for their ongoing care in some way. This is not the one you want to be wheeled out from the ICU, having recovering from this.

I'm not going to get into the specifics on the post-covid medical aspects, but the reality is those numbers are just not being counted, shared, or talked about. That isn't politics, as it is a reality for all nations, for all humanity. At least it isn't now, not yet. Years ahead, you will wonder why something wasn't done earlier to address the long term health care situation. Some of you will one day wonder why you can't find a safe comfortable place for your loved ones, wonder where your final days will be spent, wonder if you will receive the same level of care as you provided for someone that you knew earlier in life. Case counts do matter. Your choice, our consequence.

• Like 3

If you have been keeping up, Omicron has been displacing Delta since it came on the scene basically. Omicron has already displaced Delta.

Source with the evidence is  Dr...

Have been watching daily for past month. News cycle is just now catching up. Thanks!

Edited by billybob
Edit

36 minutes ago, billybob said:

If you have been keeping up, Omicron has been displacing Delta since it came on the scene basically. Omicron has already displaced Delta.

Source with the evidence is Frank Campbell on YouTube.

Have been watching daily for past month. News cycle is just now catching up. Thanks!

With some restraint, you could have posted something here specifically related to the topic, but instead you decided it was more important to post this comment.

Nice torpedo, Capt. Thread Locker.

Had one in my crew test positive last Thursday. He is okay, just a cold like issues.

I am working remotely for a few more days. 

[Mod edit, I want to stay away from numbers, it just invites debate. It already drew a response, which I responded to. This was before the special rules for this thread so ple]ase carry on in the spirit of the OP, which your post above clearly does]

From the CDC: Over 75% of [Mod. Edit SNIPPED, I want to stay away from numbers, focus on mental, emotional, job, family impact. Numbers invite debate which this thread isn't going to be about. Your post was way before I came up with these special rules, so no harm, no foul. I'm just trying to set some parameters to allow it to continue in the spirit of Bruce's original post. 

• Like 1

Granddaughter that had 2 shots of vaccine and booster caught covid along with my son and another grandson who both had vaccines as well. [

[Mod Edit: SNIPPED,, what works, doesn't work, isn't what the post is about, the impact on family, emotional, mental health, works are, just like the previous sentence and the following sentence. Again, your post was before I came up with specific rules for this thread to try and keep it alive].

All are doing well though so that is the good thing. All relatively young and in good health. Something we are just going to have to live with from now on it seems. 

18 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

2 years of doom and gloom and its getting to ya?  Say it ain't so.

I am sick of it myself.  Burned out and tired of the whole thing. It  dominates national and local news.  You can't turn on any type media beit radio, tv or internet without getting slapped in the face with it.  Enough already.  Its gone way past PSA's.  

I don't care what the news says, I'm just tired of the whole protocol changing daily.  My daughter was congested with a sore throat over the weekend. Since she had been in contact with someone on Wednesday who tested positive, my wife and I spent most of our Saturday trying to get her tested as a home test wasn't good enough.   In the end, she woke up feeling fine on Sunday and went to work (negative home test was good enough for her place of work).  Of course my son started showing symptoms, so here we go again, but this time its the schools policy/protocol.   My family and I have taken whatever precautions we could, to this point if being vaccinated means that the effect is nothing more than feeling congested with a sore throat, then its time to move on.   Unfortunately my wife still worries about long hauler symptoms. 

• Like 1