gonna be crazy year...

Marvel

Per long hauler, source above said estimates are [snipped by moderator]

Not putting specific data here or source as so far, we are having an undeleted conversation, having anecdotal experience related here. We shall see going forward what actually pans out to be the case. Optomistic here but hardly solace for those who have lost loved ones.

[Again, I Imposed some special rules on this thread after you had already posted. While I think everything in your post is true, I want to keep it focused on mental, emotional, employment impacts and exactly what your last sentence covers, where people are at right now. Optimistic, that's a great thing, I'm not quite there yet, I expect to be very much so in February. Let's stay away from the numbers, etc. Stick with the stuff that's undebatable.  Are you sure you are optimistic? :) ]

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 1/9/2022 at 10:39 AM, richieb said:

This could easily be derailed with political comment but that in itself is needless. This has proven itself to be more than any government can control. Know one can control or appease peoples mental state with month after month of depressing news. Which is not helped with “the news” constantly describing death, rates, shortages, overload, etc. Then of course positive news doesn’t sell - 

Well said, thank you. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 1/9/2022 at 5:41 PM, 314carpenter said:

I'm not confident I can say this here, not sure if I need to remove certain words or phrases, don't know if it really even matters. Probably destined to thread lock and deletion. My contribution to this non-political thread related to the long term care situation:

We are moving into a very rough stretch over these next couple of months. It's going to be a record breaking year. 

The most important thing to keep in mind is that this affects all 8 Billion of us.

Nobody will be left unaffected in some form or fashion. Silver lining is there is a good chance that herd immunity finally becomes a reality and this whole thing becomes endemic in the next year or two. There will be untold numbers of unfortunate survivors of this devastation that will require a lifetime of medical assistance. You will most likely not see them, not hear about them, will not be aware of them, but they will be there, and we will all be paying for their ongoing care in some way. This is not the one you want to be wheeled out from the ICU, having recovering from this.

I'm not going to get into the specifics on the post-covid medical aspects, but the reality is those numbers are just not being counted, shared, or talked about. That isn't politics, as it is a reality for all nations, for all humanity. At least it isn't now, not yet. Years ahead, you will wonder why something wasn't done earlier to address the long term health care situation. Some of you will one day wonder why you can't find a safe comfortable place for your loved ones, wonder where your final days will be spent, wonder if you will receive the same level of care as you provided for someone that you knew earlier in life. Case counts do matter. Your choice, our consequence.

WI MAN, good posts, what follows is to help keep thread on track and with some life. You are fine, don't worry, this isn't a warning, just a way for people to try and see where I'm going with this. 

The post, would be slightly on the edge, maybe slightly over my just now imposed conditions for this thread. Appreciate that it wasn't political, wasn't who was at fault, etc. Only thing possibly over the limit was a little too much about the numbers (again I understand I came up with the rules after your post, was a bit too much about the numbers). I want to keep it focused on what the mental, emotional, work impact this is having on the lives of people who choose to post. It isn't going to be a debate about anything, how can you debate how someone is feeling. The problem with the numbers is then it's a debate over the numbers. 

I want to keep in line with the spirit of Bruce's original post. 

I will repeat what I put in Bruce's OP so it is clear what the limits are here: I won't lock or delete the thread if I don't have to, I will just boot out those who violate the specific rules for this thread, which is it's fine to discuss the emotional and mental impact of the latest surge, either due to people at work being positive, losing staff, family who are positive. That's it, nothing else. Violators get a warning (usually), then they are banned from the thread]

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, The Dude said:

Going to the hospital and being hospitalized are 2 different things, lets see those actual numbers. 

Let's not, I already covered it and it's going to be the last word on that. 

If someone has something to say about the mental, emotional, job impact that's fine. There isn't going to be a debate in this thread. Look at the OP, just the impact on his family, here and abroad. The toll. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 1/9/2022 at 7:04 PM, billybob said:

If you have been keeping up, Omicron has been displacing Delta since it came on the scene basically. Omicron has already displaced Delta.

[SNIP the Youtube reference]

Again, it's just he special rules for this specific thread, I don't want outside sources (unless it is specifically on the issue of mental, emotional, employment toll of the pandemic and it's free from politics, isn't pro vax, anti vax, etc.). This is simply from turning into a debate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

Let's not, I already covered it and it's going to be the last word on that. 

If someone has something to say about the mental, emotional, job impact that's fine. There isn't going to be a debate in this thread. Look at the OP, just the impact on his family, here and abroad. The toll. 

To avoid a debate, I didn't respond. To cut down on statements that sounds wrong,  I can see why someone would ask to see the numbers.  The article did say hospitalized.

that 675 of the 1,313 hospitalized patients with omicron were vaccinated — a significantly higher share than the alpha and delta surge. The variant appears to cause milder sickness overall, with more patients coming to the hospital for non-COVID concerns, before testing positive for the virus. 

It also said that ~ 60% in the ICU for covid were unvaccinated. And that most in ucu had other conditions that made ic needed.

• Like 1

COVID fatigue is real. I'm a Health, Safety and Environmental advisor on an offshore oil production facility. We currently have 68 active COVID cases across 3 offshore facilities. Last hitch on my facility we had 14 cases within 2 days of the first one being reported. Omni moves quick and our Dr is saying we will burn through it within the next month if it keeps spreading at the rate it is now. All of the 68 cases have mild flu like symptoms. All are also vaxed. These are not estimates these are facts. My company has changed it's testing requirements, we will test at the heliport before going offshore after that no more tests will be done unless someone has symptoms. No more testing no more COVID lol. If you see a health care worker buy their lunch or tell them thanks amazing people doing amazing work.

Thank goodness for music when I start getting depressed or anxious about it I just go spin some tunes and let the Chorus sing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sputnik said:

The de-motivation of educators is very concerning. 

link to depressing discussion:

That's just one of the ***** generation we've managed to raise. You teach children that they should be protected from every obstacle in life, they become soft and dependent.  Then they grow up to become fearful adults. Fearful of everything. 

We need to realize that we can't mitigate every possible outcome so that we are always safe. The world can be a dangerous place. It's called life.

• Like 3