Take the Time, Make the Effort...

Coytee

Backstory:  About two years ago, a fellow passed away.  He was arguably the closest thing I had to a brother.  It was a relationship that if we worked together, 48 hours a day for two years, we made the best of it....but if we didn't see/speak to each other for 5 years, upon reuniting, we'd be up to date within an hour as though those years never happened.  I would have been best man at his wedding however, his blood brother got that honor.  

I had told myself in spring (for the prior 6 years) that I need to invite he and his family down to my neighborhood as I think they'd really enjoy the change of pace.  (they live near Indianapolis verses my Greenback, TN)  I never got around to making that invitation and he passed away making that invitation now impossible.

Current story:  Back in 1977'ish, I spent the entire summer working for/with my father in Hilton Head.  I was gone so long, a high school buddy wrote in my yearbook to please not "exile" myself for the entire summer again.  While I was in Hilton Head, I was more of a resident than tourist.  I ended up hanging out at (an Islander) youth center and played a lot of pool.  Got to know a younger "kid".  I would have been 17, he would have been 15 (or was it 16-14??)  He was a sassy dude but I saw "something" in him.  I saw his vulnerabilities.  My father let me know that HIS father had committed suicide so he was always putting on a bit of a front to act as though everything was ok with him yet, you could see a pain in him.  

We got to be pool playing pals.  He thought he was a shark and was pretty good....  but I could still whoop his hiney if I wanted/needed to so we talked trash and got to be pals.

Fast forward from 1977 to 1986 after I'd graduated college, lived in Iowa, Indianapolis (where I met my good friend at the first above) and now, moved to Charleston, SC and THIS is where/when I actually got into the brokerage business.  I was at my new job for 2-3 months when a new hire came in one day and sat at desk next to me.  There was something a bit familiar about him....he was a bit brash but....  you could see a vulnerability about him.  OMG, it was my old pool playing pal, Curtis!!!

We instantly clicked and were good pals.  I was now 26 and he would have been 24.  A year later, I moved from Charleston to Knoxville and entered this stage in my life.

I had never forgotten about Curtis, wondered where he and his  "attitude" were living...  

Couple years ago, my dear dear friend Jim passed away and I have a regret for never having actually carried through with what I wanted to do.

Curtis pops up in my mind from time to time.

Ok, dammit, I am NOT going to have these flashes without dealing with them.  I turn to the internet, multiple times.  I am a persistent SOB when I need to be.  Low & behold, I found him, after 34 years of distance.

I called a number this past Friday.  

"Is this Mr. Curtis?"  I asked

"mmmm.....  yes" came a cautious response

"Curtis, what would you say if I told you this was Richard Albright?"  (I've got my fingers crossed that he doesn't say "go to heII"  lol)

He pauses....  I do not expect him to immediately take his memory back to 1986 or much less, 1977....  then he says

"Oh My Gosh!!!"

We ended up being a couple of Chatty Cathy's for near 90 minutes   Did you know that SOB has TWELVE children??!!  I sure didn't.

Anyway, made my day, he seemed to have enjoyed it and now I've thrown water on that fire of regret for not doing something like that.  By the way, I can still hear the vulnerability in his voice.

Just a long winded tale to encourage YOU to MAKE that effort, whatever it may be.  It was actually difficult finding him but I'm persistent and the reward is well worth it.  Turns out he lives near Tyler Texas (I've got no idea how close that is to Hope for example) but I let him know that I've been to Hope in years past and if it happens again, I'll reach out and maybe we can meet up for lunch or something.  Kind of tough to do that on the fly when you've got 1,000 miles between you.

So it's an encouragement for everyone to actually push the button to make that effort if you've got something/someone on your mind.  It made my day and I like to think it made his.

It's worth it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I'm audibly laughing at that.  Life can be interesting.  There are some relationships that nothing more than a "hey" is sufficient.  Back in late high school, I had a girlfriend.  She asked me once...."do you know one thing I like about you???"

I'm waiting to hear how handsome I am....  it didn't happen.

Her response was that she felt we can be together over at her house, and she can read a book or knit or something and feel totally comfortable.....that she didn't feel that she had to 'entertain' me the entire time, that we could just be near each other and that was ok......no drama was necessary.

Known her since 1977 and we're still good pals today.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I'm audibly laughing at that.  Life can be interesting.  There are some relationships that nothing more than a "hey" is sufficient.  Back in late high school, I had a girlfriend.  She asked me once...."do you know one thing I like about you???"

I'm waiting to hear how handsome I am....  it didn't happen.

Her response was that she felt we can be together over at her house, and she can read a book or knit or something and feel totally comfortable.....that she didn't feel that she had to 'entertain' me the entire time, that we could just be near each other and that was ok......no drama was necessary.

Known her since 1977 and we're still good pals today.  

This is a wonderful definition of a friend.

This past year I have reconnected with some folks. One I had met up with while on a trip to visit my mom, maybe 15 years ago. We emailed a couple of times, but I tried to call him this past Fall. Number no longer in service. He had been the owner/editor of a small town paper in Wisconsin. I new he was retiring... but when I searched more, found he had passed away from cancer a couple years ago. My only consolation is that we were on good terms.

Current ones... a pastor of a church I was in while in Wisconsin. Two friends from high school. I have some others on a list. Time is short. I'm healthy, but I'll be 73 this year.

Thank for the encouragement, Richard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

About you and your blackberry?

It's still working and seems healthy enough.  I'll keep it active unless it begins to suffer.  I am preparing myself for when the time finally comes to do the humane thing.

Meanwhile, I downloaded my contacts and I see there are quite a few that I should reconnect with sometime soon.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 6:01 PM, sputnik said:

It's still working and seems healthy enough.  I'll keep it active unless it begins to suffer.  I am preparing myself for when the time finally comes to do the humane thing.

Meanwhile, I downloaded my contacts and I see there are quite a few that I should reconnect with sometime soon.

I bet That  I am #1.  😆

9 minutes ago, sputnik said:

I’m beginning to think it really is you.  🥲🥰

Nah, not him, it needs to be written like this: 

Just like .............old times here 

I couldn't warm up .....................to Sputsie

Even if ......................he was on Fire......................

• Like 1

Well, let’s not forget that he’d be older now and never was very far from dementia to begin with.  We could ask what two motorcycles Duke is known for and what he helped me with over the phone once.  

Hey, I’ve just been insulted twice……..with the same insult.  😠

19 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Parrot just does not have that same acerbic quality that is my hallmark

19 hours ago, sputnik said:

Well, let’s not forget that he’d be older now and never was very far from dementia to begin with.  We could ask what two motorcycles Duke is known for and what he helped me with over the phone once.  

Hey, I’ve just been insulted twice……..with the same insult.  😠

My questions in another post were:

Same here. 

Duke, if that is your real name...

What do you think about JBL 250s? 

How about the Speakerlab factory built K Horn bass bin?  What you got to say about it?