Guitars and more...

the real Duke Spinner

5 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Interesting. .no one has. Trace Elliott. I have a TE Velocette tho. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mine was originally a TE Commando 100 combo amp.

The amplifier section would toast itself ย every couple years and theย green carpet cab was getting kinda shaggy so I built a new cab for the Celestion 12โ€ and run it with the little Orange amp.

4 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

I have several Orange OD 80's

I bought them new in 1971. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

I bet they sound great!

Ill own some more tube amps at some point.

ย 

My old favorite was this Mesa/Boogie MkIII combo with the EVM-12L speaker.

Seen here with a couple of Ibanez RGโ€™s I used to own.

0E472083-768B-4663-B4A4-5D3C4E958459.jpeg.3ff4bc8918e3fe948437b050e5ea98c0.jpeg

Some previous basses.

ย 

Godin A4 fretless, chambered maple body with a western red cedar top.

L.R. Baggs under saddle pickup.

Very nice but I never quite gelled with it. Itโ€™s moved on to a good home.

75174138-C07E-4493-A878-50746143C1E3.jpeg.14e7d0bc146e253ca03c884f4625c7d1.jpeg

ย 

1977 Fender Jazz Bass.

Active Seymour Duncan pickups.

the absolute best fret job Iโ€™ve ever played on a bass courtesy of Bruce Bennett.

Even though I tripled my money on this one, I still kick myself for letting it go.

D7CF754B-5CAC-4B01-BD33-DFF6ED1E0933.jpeg.492cbadce554e6cfa9623ff633440f0d.jpeg

ย 

• Like 2

I have an old guitar I picked up several years ago that no one seems to know much about. Perhaps one of you will know something.

ย 

One story I found while doing internet research is that this was an early demo guitar made by a Japanese manufacturer to show American guitar companies that they were capable of building a good product. The thing is built like a tank and plays and sounds really nice. It's just a little oddly shaped and sized.

Shiro1.JPG

Shiro2.JPG

• Like 2

So... here's the Eko 12 string. Probably around '66. I think my brother scanned this old print, and it is rather low res. Notice the madras plaid sport coat...

ย 

And one I posted elsewhere before... a couple years later up in Platteville, WI, playing a friends Guild D-40.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Bruce_1968_xsm.jpg

ย 

Bruce_high_school_sm.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

It is a nice guitar, but it is kind of a smallish dreadnaught extra wide at the shoulders and very flat at the tail end. I have a feeling it is modeled on a classic guitar rather than a steel string.

ย 

It seems as though Shiro Kiboto made a number of classical style guitars.

I would have said off the top of my head that it was similar to a Martin OOO body style but it does look flatter at the lower bout.

A high school friend of mine played a Harmony Sovereign, until we both picked up our Martin D-28s. They were (and still are if you can find them), pretty nice guitars. Also has a rather flat bottom. (I got this pic off the web)

ย 

ย 

1966-harmony-sovereign-natural.jpg

• Like 2

When I had tried to research my Shiro guitar just after I bought it (about 15 years ago), I had a hard time finding much. Now there seems to be quite a bit out there. I just found this: " Shiro guitars were built by the Aria factories in Japan between the early 70's and early 80's. The company was named after the founder of Aria guitars, Mr Shiro Arai."

ย 

I found some pictures of similar models from the early 70's that have the same headstock shape and truss rod cover, but include a Shiro label. They also appear to be slightly differently shaped. This makes me think the early prototype story may have some validity.

• Like 2