Guitars and more...

the real Duke Spinner

2 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Love my Pioneer Rt 707. 🙂

DAT,and CDs Just do not sound like Tape

I may be biased, as I started in a small Studio in say 1969

Helping make Commercials on an Ampex machine that was 2" tape

I started my home recording journey with Tascam 4-Track cassette and a Virtualizer. I feel in love with the sound of analog cassette. It is so natural sounding!

Anyway, I then moved into LogicPro X DAW with a zillion belles and whistles, and some of the magic disappeared. I'm kind of heading back toward cassette.

@Racer X Well, All those guitars are replacements for Apple, Walmart, and Costco stock I was holding. There's only 2 that i regularly play. 

Just a few months ago I sold my precious Martin Joan Baez Special Edition 0-45 which was the Queen of the collection. I was afraid that i might drop it if I played it, which would ruin the MINT condition, and felt that keeping such a fabulous guitar out of playing hands was sinful. A guy wanted it to play, and he had the $$$$ to pay, off it went.

20C5EDB4-774F-4763-A7F0-54B80118ADD5-min.jpeg

• Like 5

RealMark:  Always wanted to learn multi track recording when I found out the Sgt. Pepper's was made on a 4 track.  One day visiting the neighbor, he had a Tascam 40-4 with large reels, and he carried over to my house, it weighed 75 lbs.  Lugged it around to some shows to record bands, and was soon recording Bass, Drums, Guitars, Vocals off the board and mixing down to 2 track cassette.  Bands always appreciated getting a copy of their show.  Eventually streamlined to just PA feed to cassette, much easier to lug a cassette deck or two to the shows.  Had a lot of fun getting in tight with my favored local bands, and even recorded a national act (Dread Zeppelin) whenever they were in town.

Recently recorded the passing trains with the phone, and was very pleased with the stereo recording:  It will play just as loud as the train in my room, and even the pressure wave from the passing cars is recreated at volume.  Until one dabbles in the recording art, it just seems like music miraculously appears on your medium of choice.

27 minutes ago, Racer X said:

RealMark:  Always wanted to learn multi track recording when I found out the Sgt. Pepper's was made on a 4 track.  One day visiting the neighbor, he had a Tascam 40-4 with large reels, and he carried over to my house, it weighed 75 lbs.  Lugged it around to some shows to record bands, and was soon recording Bass, Drums, Guitars, Vocals off the board and mixing down to 2 track cassette.  Bands always appreciated getting a copy of their show.  Eventually streamlined to just PA feed to cassette, much easier to lug a cassette deck or two to the shows.  Had a lot of fun getting in tight with my favored local bands, and even recorded a national act (Dread Zeppelin) whenever they were in town.

Recently recorded the passing trains with the phone, and was very pleased with the stereo recording:  It will play just as loud as the train in my room, and even the pressure wave from the passing cars is recreated at volume.  Until one dabbles in the recording art, it just seems like music miraculously appears on your medium of choice.

Weird, but I dig trains! I live a couple hundred yards from BNSFs busiest eastbound track out of the port of Los Angeles. Trains run all the time. I especially like the sound very late at night. I like environmental sound in general. 

This is one of my many Tascams.

6483DAF2-312D-4998-9A3B-E4BDEAF6563F.jpeg

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Weird, but I dig trains! I live a couple hundred yards from BNSFs busiest eastbound track out of the port of Los Angeles. Trains run all the time. I especially like the sound very late at night. I like environmental sound in general. 

This is one of my many Tascams.

6483DAF2-312D-4998-9A3B-E4BDEAF6563F.jpeg

There is something delightfully haunting to the sound of the trains passing through at night.

We can still hear them if we are outside in the evening but we aren’t so close that they are otherwise noticeable.

Usually there seems to be a long howl as they brake somewhat while making the curve along the river as they pass through downtown.

Then it’s off to Altapass and the Clinchfield loops.81BF39CA-AAB3-4227-A80F-5AC7E5D6FC9A.thumb.jpeg.268c7a054c07758b6a1b38017b94a7e2.jpeg

11 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

There is something delightfully haunting to the sound of the trains passing through at night.

We can still hear them if we are outside in the evening but we aren’t so close that they are otherwise noticeable.

Usually there seems to be a long howl as they brake somewhat while making the curve along the river as they pass through downtown.

Then it’s off to Altapass and the Clinchfield loops.

Well said! Trains evoke travel at a reasonable pace, along the countryside (unlike airplanes). The dreams of distant lands comes to mind. And then, there is the rhytmic rattle of the wheels on the steel. Brains love such patterns. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Ok, now we gots questions!

What year is that photo? My guess is 1972.

What song is being sung? On that my guess is a song by "Bread."

@Marvel Inquiring minds want to know!

Well, the Guild he’s playing in the pic, which he still owns, is a ‘74.

• Like 1

my pandemic hobby is building & painting guitars, here are a few: 
this was my first, a baritone Jazzmaster in burgundy mist sparkle:
tMOBvwd.jpeg

Next, I made this offset 12-string in sapphire blue sparkle: 
30lQeYU.jpeg

which was followed by this ruby red sparkle Jagmaster. (you may have noticed the I have a thing for offsets and glitter...)
s2PRUQz.jpeg

next, I took this completely shagged 60's Eko-inspired Dipinto Belvedere and gave is a freshening up:
kRZoN8w.png

67d45be.jpeg

it received the designer's stamp of approval!
vcdeNG8.jpeg

• Like 5

I started making my own bodies, this one was mashup of Fender's Starcaster & Jazzmaster, call it a Starmaster, if you will: it was stained hot pink and given a rose gold glitter top and a tortoise top binding
SfSbcv3.jpeg

here, I tried my hand at relic-ing this turquoise sparkle Epiphone Wildkat that I've modded with filtertrons:
E6CQxGY.jpg

this one's a Gretsch Falcon inspired hollow body:
0qHxfoN.jpg

This one is a DiPinto Galaxie that I did in collaboration with Chris Dipinto, it has a built in amp and speaker: (I currently work very part time at Dipinto Guitars)

mmkpuKQ.jpeg

This strat is finished in chartreuse sparkle and is fitted with Fralin P90's:
4RQ5TAN.jpeg

finally, this is one of the guitars currently on my bench:

aCBk0fl.jpeg

• Like 6

20 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Ok, now we gots questions!

What year is that photo? My guess is 1972.

What song is being sung? On that my guess is a song by "Bread."

@Marvel Inquiring minds want to know!

I got the TEAC in '72, but the pic was the summer of '77. Still have the tape... Wasting away in Margaritaville. Pamela Brown. I would have to get the tape out. I never did any Bread songs.

I have a tape my best friend and I did. Jim Kweskin, Marshall Tucker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gigantic said:

I started making my own bodies, this one was mashup of Fender's Starcaster & Jazzmaster, call it a Starmaster, if you will: it was stained hot pink and given a rose gold glitter top and a tortoise top binding
SfSbcv3.jpeg

here, I tried my hand at relic-ing this turquoise sparkle Epiphone Wildkat that I've modded with filtertrons:
E6CQxGY.jpg

this one's a Gretsch Falcon inspired hollow body:
0qHxfoN.jpg

This one is a DiPinto Galaxie that I did in collaboration with Chris Dipinto, it has a built in amp and speaker: (I currently work very part time at Dipinto Guitars)

mmkpuKQ.jpeg

This strat is finished in chartreuse sparkle and is fitted with Fralin P90's:
4RQ5TAN.jpeg

finally, this is one of the guitars currently on my bench:

aCBk0fl.jpeg

Nice work! I share your hobby...sort of...I don't build my own bodies. At least not so far. I have started building acoustics from StewMac kits, though. That gets me closer to scratch built.

• Like 1