Guitars and more...

the real Duke Spinner

2 hours ago, gigantic said:

I started making my own bodies, this one was mashup of Fender's Starcaster & Jazzmaster, call it a Starmaster, if you will: it was stained hot pink and given a rose gold glitter top and a tortoise top binding
SfSbcv3.jpeg

here, I tried my hand at relic-ing this turquoise sparkle Epiphone Wildkat that I've modded with filtertrons:
E6CQxGY.jpg

this one's a Gretsch Falcon inspired hollow body:
0qHxfoN.jpg

This one is a DiPinto Galaxie that I did in collaboration with Chris Dipinto, it has a built in amp and speaker: (I currently work very part time at Dipinto Guitars)

mmkpuKQ.jpeg

This strat is finished in chartreuse sparkle and is fitted with Fralin P90's:
4RQ5TAN.jpeg

finally, this is one of the guitars currently on my bench:

aCBk0fl.jpeg

Those are some fantastic looking guitars!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, deang said:

So much good stuff between 80 and 00. Wow. 

I have no doubt. But, it wouldn't have any deep meaning to me if I heard it now, because it would be brand new to me carrying no memories. There would be no touchstones involved. Songs I love and play are songs that connect me to something or someone in my personal history. When I sing the old songs of my "time" it's very comforting in the way that your favorite old flannel shirt is comforting.  Music is art. Art is life when you can see into it.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

I have no doubt. But, it wouldn't have any deep meaning to me if I heard it now, because it would be brand new to me carrying no memories. There would be no touchstones involved. Songs I love and play are songs that connect me to something or someone in my personal history. When I sing the old songs of my "time" it's very comforting in the way that your favorite old flannel shirt is comforting.  Music is art. Art is life when you can see into it.

Yes, the emotional ties from the memories. The music is almost like mile markers. My generation is a bridge from your time to the next, plus I had kids in the house. Sometimes I would run downstairs and burst into my son’s room and yell, “What the hell is that, it’s great!”

Caught a video the other night on YouTube of Steve Winwood doing Can’t Find My Way Home. Just great stuff and that one never fails to get me a little chokey, because - reasons. 

• Like 1

Around the house when I was a wee lad in short pants...........

-Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis

-Ella Fitzgerald

-Broadway show tunes

-Big Band music

-Jazz

So, I still love that music too, which came before my own records at age 14 or so. I have a lot of that older music on tape. Sounds every bit as good to me as when I was 10 years old.

• Like 2

The new little mutt now has good tuners at least.

I also cleaned up the radius on the top of the lightning bolt wraparound bridge and took a little off the back corner which was all chewed up.

I’ll get some correct slots filed in to set the string spacing once I can remember where I put my spare guitar strings when I cleaned up the other day…E32486D0-CA40-4279-8CEA-1AEA865EF157.thumb.jpeg.279745385d2537e6af777ee011c25055.jpeg

DAB89841-1470-4FBC-BF61-E2563A7CC32F.thumb.jpeg.96e7f2f38ad300dea852130c9348436e.jpeg

1EEDCB89-B548-43EF-8F0C-3D66426630FF.thumb.jpeg.c2493e776cbc41953f3382fb531370f8.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deang said:

So much good stuff between 80 and 00. Wow. 

I was born in 1970, so my heyday for music was basically those years: new wave and post punk, a smattering of 80‘s metal, techno-industrial, shoegaze & dream pop, indie-rock, post-rock, instrumental and underground hip-hop- too many bands to mention… my tastes ran the gamut and still do. Even though those were my golden years, I’d posit there’s still great stuff being made now. 

Edited by gigantic

I said I would touch back on the story in regards to my pearl pink B.C. Rich Platinum Warlock. So I at the time I thought I wanted to learn guitar, a buddy of mine says his dad has a guitar and some cabs ( cabs where line array 4x8 Kustom columns, which I eventually traded for some EV cabs). Picked up the guitar and cabs for $100.00. The guitar always had problems staying tuned, so it sat for 20 years. I later found out the neck was cracked and never had really been in the hands of real tech. Until i found out that the fellow I traded my Ludwig set with is the guitar tech at a local shop. I left it in his hands and after 4 weeks, just picked it up. It needs a little work for the floating tremolo to be set correctly, but this thing plays nicer than my Dean ML. Needless to say I am excited to play this beast.

On a second note, does anyone have experience with VHT Redline amps? Demo'ed one at the shop I picked my guitar up at and thought it sounded very good, may consider one down the road.08bf74d242bf8611a2fe05c70ac917ce.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 4