Guitars and more...

the real Duke Spinner

10 hours ago, JJkizak said:

Nowadays the ebony costs more than the guitar. I found some for a 22" long block for around $1100.00

JJK

It probably depends on the specific type of ebony and how it’s graded.

this is a brand new guitar and was not that expensive.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 9:56 AM, Marvel said:

I really like that they didn't dye the ebony to be solid/complete black. It rarely is.

The fretboards on my Taylors are almost solid black with a couple of slightly lighter patches you can catch when the light is just right.01BF3636-7F9E-49A3-9C4E-803F692D2C78.thumb.jpeg.92d66e9aeae33a43413b7b960b7f27e1.jpeg

5736BABC-6E93-42B9-A283-C4E47C9A8FAC.thumb.jpeg.d9903b6b9435b50467c425817a906187.jpeg

I remember Bob Taylor saying that he didn’t believe in dying the ebony, that if they needed solid black for their higher end guitars then they just had to be more selective about which piece they were using.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

The fretboards on my Taylors are almost solid black with a couple of slightly lighter patches you can catch when the light is just right.01BF3636-7F9E-49A3-9C4E-803F692D2C78.thumb.jpeg.92d66e9aeae33a43413b7b960b7f27e1.jpeg

5736BABC-6E93-42B9-A283-C4E47C9A8FAC.thumb.jpeg.d9903b6b9435b50467c425817a906187.jpeg

I remember Bob Taylor saying that he didn’t believe in dying the ebony, that if they needed solid black for their higher end guitars then they just had to be more selective about which piece they were using.

Mine is pretty solid black, othe than the light hitting the grain (and the dust)

20230109_193844~2.jpg

20230109_193942~2.jpg

How's the Baby Taylor sound? Or is it a Big Baby?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marvel said:

Wish I hadn't missed that. And the Squier 40th Tele is stunningly beautiful.

~$350 shipped. Today everywhere you look back to MSRP of 599 or just under. I wish I had snagged the surf green Jazzmaster and ruby metallic Strat with block inlay neck too. All the 40th versions have lots to offer.

I'm pretty impressed with the quality and playability. Hope the feeling sticks around beyond the new gear syndrome timeframe.

• Like 1

@Marvel

A regular Baby, model BT1 in walnut/spruce.

It sounds like a small guitar.

Almost everything sounds like a small guitar compared to the 310.

The baby obviously doesn’t have the low end that my dreadnoughts have and it doesn’t growl as much as the Sapele when you really dig in.

I was initially torn between the Baby Taylor and one of the Little Martin models but once I played them side by side I just couldn’t stand the countertop laminate look of the fake wood grain on the HPL used in the Martin.

Also where the Little Martin had a little more low end I felt like it overall lacked some clarity compared to the baby Taylor.

I would be surprised if the sound didn’t open up a little more as it gets played over the coming months.

It’s interesting to note that they have changed the bracing and construction a little since the first gen Baby Taylor that AG had.

They no longer use the half hoop brace from the neck block to the sides.

Its been quite a while but my impression is that the newer bracing makes the guitar seem lighter.

all in all I suppose some sound samples are in order.

• Like 1

I've  been looking at the Sheeran Guitars by Lowden, but the cheapest one is about $680. The back and sides are all a 5 ply lamination and solid wood tops. No bracing other than for the top. No binding on the body. They look beautifully made, even if simple.

W01_Front_Back_2021_Low-1200X900_900x1200~2.png

• Like 2

Spaghetti noodles and zebrawood.

sounds pretty good through the new amp.

When I first got this thing the string response was very uneven when plugged in using the saddle pickup.

At some point I pulled the saddle and discovered a paper shim underneath which was causing the saddle to sit kind of sideways.

I removed the “shim” and now it’s fine, a fact I forgot until I plugged it in tonight.

0CD68823-B6E3-498B-BE80-4AD63F14ECBA.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...