Cornwall IV review from "Enjoy the Music"

PrestonTom

Cornwall IV review from "Enjoy the Music"

This is fairly recent and I don't believe it has been posted before on the Klipsch Forum.

The review is positive, however there is some conjecture (on "why" it sounds the way it does) that seems faulty (IMHO).

-Tom

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1221/Klipsch_Cornwall_IV_Floorstanding_Loudspeaker_Review.htm

• Like 1

I appreciate you taking the time to post.  Thanks. :)

That said, his claim that it needs 400 hours of break-in is so beyond ridiculous that IMHO it totally disqualifies him as a reviewer.  400 hours!!!????  After that comment I found it hard to take seriously anything he said.

If true, how does a manufacturer even develop a speaker? At what point do they conclude listening tests - confident they're hearing the finished product?   ..At 10, 100, 300, or 400 hours???  ..And at what time are measurements taken - or does the speakers sound change but not the measurements?  (which would be a very interesting claim).

Ugh...   ..There's also tons of silly audio-babble that is also disqualifying.  For example (paraphrasing),  "The speakers sound incredibly fast" 

A rather worthless review, imho.

Outside of the 400 hours thing, it's an excellent review.

57 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

For example (paraphrasing),  "The speakers sound fast" 

He never said that. Instead of paraphrasing, maybe give us the exact words that you found "disqualifying".

Thanks,

Dean

Doesn't really matter. What matters is what you hear. And what you (or anyone) hear(s) might not be what I hear. Or what the reviewer heard for that matter. His perception is pretty much in line with what I heard from the speakers as far as performance goes. I think Mr. Hughes did an admirable job describing the Cornwall IV IMHO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

He never said that. Instead of paraphrasing, maybe give us the exact words that you found "disqualifying".

Thanks,

Dean

No?  ..So he was referring to the speakers foot speed - it's 40yd dash performance, perhaps?

Here's the quote:

"..the Cornwall IV is amazingly fast"

:)

I thought it was a great review, thanks for sharing! I have experienced woofer break in on several occasions (although not on every pair) typically almost right away within the first 30 seconds or so they seem to "break loose" and sound better with more output anything after that be it a slower break in I'm not sure I've noticed too much.

Now my Carver tube amp really opened up after about 200 hours-- not sure but probably the tubes settling in?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

I would love to hear Chief Bonehead's thoughts on the notion of a 400 hour break in.

Some speaker manufacturers (plus some component) know the break-in claim is nonsense but allow it to persist b/c it helps reduce the number of people who return speakers b/c they failed to live up to expectations that were often set by wildly glowing reviews, online group-think, etc..   Some companies (not necessarily Klipsch) know if they specify a long-enough break-in time, people will simply grow accustomed to the sound of their new speakers and become resigned to keeping them.  Or maybe they'll go back and reread the glowing reviews and will simply convince themselves.

Do you really think PWK would support the idea of 400 hr breakin period??  Of course not.  ..Nor did Bob Crites. ..In fact he said it took a mere few minutes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Some speaker manufacturers (plus some component) know the break-in claim is nonsense but allow it to persist b/c it helps reduce the number of people who return speakers b/c they failed to live up to expectations that were often set by wildly glowing reviews, online group-think, etc..   Some companies (not necessarily Klipsch) know if they specify a long-enough break-in time, people will simply grow accustomed to the sound of their new speakers and become resigned to keeping them.  Or maybe they'll go back and reread the glowing reviews and will simply convince themselves.

Do you really think PWK would support the idea of 400 hr breakin period??  Of course not.  ..Nor did Bob Crites. ..In fact he said it took a few mere minutes.

Jeez, where are my wading boots.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

No?  ..So he was referring to the speakers foot speed - it's 40yd dash performance, perhaps?

Here's the quote:

"..the Cornwall IV is amazingly fast"

:)

Fast or speed typically refers to transient response right? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Fine, but to me that is not a very evidence-based approach to this hobby. 

Read back what you just wrote.

It's a hobby

It's not rocket surgery.

It's not a college course that I need to study for.

No one's life depends on it.

It's a HOBBY!

I listen to music for enjoyment. The only "evidence" I need to tell me how much I enjoy it is how much my foot is tappin. I don't need charts, graphs, double blind whatsohooey. Let's save complicated things for complicated matters. This should be simple........

On 1/11/2022 at 1:26 PM, Shakeydeal said:

Read back what you just wrote.

It's a hobby

It's not rocket surgery.

It's not a college course that I need to study for.

No one's life depends on it.

It's a HOBBY!

I listen to music for enjoyment. The only "evidence" I need to tell me how much I enjoy it is how much my foot is tappin. I don't need charts, graphs, double blind whatsohooey. Let's save complicated things for complicated matters. This should be simple........

Audio being a hobby does not mean it isn't (or shouldn't be) evidence-based.

When you peruse the websites of nearly every audio gear mfg., you will find definitive statements about performance often with white-papers, graphs, charts, etc.. which purport (operative word) to support the claim.  Evidence - whether it truly meets the definition, or not - is very much a part of this hobby.  But what qualifies as compelling evidence to you may not for me. 

As for "one's life depending on it", well... it's always my hope when I plug an amplifier in that it's properly engineered so to not cause an electrical shock or fire. :)  ..And there have been some I would never leave plugged while not home.

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

Fast or speed typically refers to transient response right? 

Yeah, it’s just an adjective for that. 

...noticeably more dynamic with greater separation while sounding significantly more open and detailed, faster and more exciting.

...and has a fast and light quality that does not smear the midrange. 

...the Cornwall IV is amazingly fast and expressive.

You have to be a dumb audiophile to understand this stuff.

3 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I'm not going to put a number on it, but they do require considerable hours to break in. You don't have to believe it,

there are several threads on the forum with the same stated time frame,

• Like 1