Cornwall IV review from "Enjoy the Music"

PrestonTom

I found this bit entirely gobsmacking:

"...Sitting closer to the speakers, imaging grows stronger and more precise. Maybe it's still not a highly detailed pin-point stereo soundstage, but what I hear more or less equates to the stereo that I experience listening to classical music live in a concert hall – basically, that's good enough."

Wasn't the best hyper-anal PINPOINT IMAGING so he'll settle for what he hears in a concert...  I just don't even know what to say anymore.

Thanks for the link to the review. 

• Like 1

I thought the piece was quite positive. So it took his head 400 hours to adjust to the sound and a year for the Heresy 3, so what. And compared to other reviewers his audio-speak was rather tame. Ever read a Srajan Ebaen review on 6moons? Now That guy can spin a word - 

Looks like Bob Crites was ahead of the curve... His Cornscala concept looks just like the Cornwall IV. Bob must have inspired the Klipsch design team.

As a side note, equipment reviews have always amused me. They always seem to use the most esoteric items that most people have never heard of. Maybe it is just me, but 90% of the time the associated equipment list is bizarre and never consistent. It is constantly changing. 

• Haha 1

You're a reviewer, you have to fill up a page. Enjoy the Music has a readership primarily made up of subjectivists. Those folks want descriptions of what you are hearing. It's also helpful when you compare what you are reviewing to something you know they are all already familiar with. For example, most in that readership have experienced  the "pin point imaging" of a good monitor. What they may not have experienced is a relatively large horn loudspeaker with a big baffle. So, he makes a comparison, and does the best he can with it, because describing sound is a lot like describing food, it isn't easy. 

In the end he says he may have found his dream speaker.

Speakers are mostly purchased due to the subjective impressions of others, not by what the meter readers think while waving their squiggly lines, circles and arrows. 

14 hours ago, Curious_George said:

Looks like Bob Crites was ahead of the curve... His Cornscala concept looks just like the Cornwall IV. Bob must have inspired the Klipsch design team.

As a side note, equipment reviews have always amused me. They always seem to use the most esoteric items that most people have never heard of. Maybe it is just me, but 90% of the time the associated equipment list is bizarre and never consistent. It is constantly changing. 

Looks can be deceiving.  A CW IV is light years ahead of a stock Crites Cornscala.

I admit that some reviewers from Sixmoons seem to be on another planet (Srajean in particular), but I get the gist of what most are saying and most of it makes sense. My one request would be for every review to include pics of the speakers set up in the room. Some do, some don’t. That goes a long way to helping me understand why someone hears what they do.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Looks can be deceiving.  A CW IV is light years ahead of a stock Crites Cornscala.

"Looks" are exactly what I was referring to. Although we will never know, I am certain that the big midrange horn that Klipsch has used on the Cornwall IV is no coincidence and was Bob's concept. I am not taking anything away from Klipsch, but just making an observation.

In some cases (groups of people), there seems to be this dogma that DIY speakers cannot sound as good as manufactured speakers from a (good) known brand. I disagree, in today's world with inexpensive free solutions, it is very easy to design and create a great DIY speaker IF you have the technical skills and understanding. 

Now, as far as sound, if you had 100 people listen to them, you would probably have a good amount who like the gentle slope of the Cornscala vs the Cornwall IV. 

As you indicated, we all hear sound differently, which is very true. 

• Like 1

I know DIY speakers can sound great, I've heard a few and I have a lot of respect for people that can do it right. The problems I had with Bob's cornscala were these:

Bob's crossover left a lot to be desired. Replacing them with ALK Universals made a nice improvement.

The cabinets would sing along with any music with strong midbass content. I know many here love the removable back panels, but I'd rather have an enclosure without them. More/better bracing would have helped, but I doubt it would have completely cured the problem.

The midrange horn rang quite a bit, but Dynamat took care of most of that issue.

Shakey

12 hours ago, Curious_George said:

"Looks" are exactly what I was referring to. Although we will never know, I am certain that the big midrange horn that Klipsch has used on the Cornwall IV is no coincidence and was Bob's concept. I am not taking anything away from Klipsch, but just making an observation.

A0D3126A-3D10-4F6A-86F8-F9213B20367F.gif.b5ece0cd97cd64b1d3e6e4e79b025e64.gif

• Haha 2

On 1/12/2022 at 1:26 PM, Curious_George said:

Looks like Bob Crites was ahead of the curve... His Cornscala concept looks just like the Cornwall IV. Bob must have inspired the Klipsch design team

Who ever gave you that idea ?    you'd better look at the CF-4 ,  the Forte II-Chorus II -KP-301-II -KP 2002 -KSM 15  , etc .

Larger Horns on klipsch speakers First appeared  at Klipsch USA with Mr Roy Delgado Jr  in the 80's  when He  co-worked with PWK .

Klipschorn Jubilee by Roy Delgado and PWK — Retro Vintage Modern Hi-FiCF-4 Floorstanding Speaker | Klipsch

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Curious_George said:

"Looks" are exactly what I was referring to. Although we will never know, I am certain that the big midrange horn that Klipsch has used on the Cornwall IV is no coincidence and was Bob's concept

Wrong again  @Chief bonehead  designs include the CF-4 Horn of 1994  and the K-510  ,  which predate the Cornscala  .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, avguytx said:

But weren't actually "used" in a Cornwall till over 2 decades later. And there was that CW III fiasco with the Heresy mid horns. 

the CF-4  Horn was never used in the CW IV , it's a different design , the CW III was never a fiasco , it sold very well until the CW IV was introduced   .  

• Klipsch Employees
15 hours ago, Curious_George said:

In some cases (groups of people), there seems to be this dogma that DIY speakers cannot sound as good as manufactured speakers from a (good) known brand. I disagree, in today's world with inexpensive free solutions, it is very easy to design and create a great DIY speaker IF you have the technical skills and understanding. 

Now, as far as sound, if you had 100 people listen to them, you would probably have a good amount who like the gentle slope of the Cornscala vs the Cornwall IV. 

As you indicated, we all hear sound differently, which is very true. 

How certain?