Cornwall IV review from "Enjoy the Music"

PrestonTom

On 1/13/2022 at 10:15 PM, avguytx said:

But weren't actually "used" in a Cornwall till over 2 decades later. And there was that CW III with the Heresy mid horns. 

Which, Gary Gillum, former Klipsch Chief Engineer was puzzled about. I spoke to Bob Crites about the K600 horn. He purchased the old tooling from Klipsch and had his name molded into it. He said the horns were selling well, especially in Japan. When I got around to measuring my Cornwall 1's (still have them in storage), I found that original K600 horn, on the baffle, goes down to 500 Hz.

I remember PWK telling me that after he designed the K500 for the Belle Klipsch, that he thought the K400 was longer than it needed to be. I always liked PWK's economy of design, which allowed the Klipschorn to "retain the crown" even after JBL came out with their more expensive version of a Corner horn, that sounds like crap in comparison.

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

the photo of PWK and Roy was taken in January 1999 at Caesar's Palace.

......CES 1999 ,  this confirms that @Chief bonehead and PWK  were designing   larger horns than the K-400/K401  prior to 1999  and therefore way before anyone else , including the Cornscala  , and the horn we see is an example of such an Experimental klipsch horn (  prior to the K-402 )-

Klipschorn Jubilee by Roy Delgado and PWK — Retro Vintage Modern Hi-Fi

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

He purchased the old tooling from Klipsch and had his name molded into it.

You must have misunderstood. Klipsch lost the mold for the K-600, that’s why the CIII ended up with a K-700 in it. Bob paid to have a new mold made. Nothing was purchased from Klipsch. 

18 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

You must have misunderstood. Klipsch lost the mold for the K-600, that’s why the CIII ended up with a K-700 in it. Bob paid to have a new mold made. Nothing was purchased from Klipsch. 

Must have had it confused with the old mold that was pictured by Jim Hunter at one point. Thanks for the correction.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I built the world's first "Cornscala" in 1975 as a Center Channel for my Big Altecs. The name came later from the Klipsch/Crites crowd. I put the picture up severalt times on this forum. I'm too lazy to do it again.

From the original Cornscala thread:

Posted September 24, 2004

"The motor board will extend another foot above the bass box to allow installation of a K-401 horn and K-55V driver and also a K-77 tweeter. I will then gin up a crossover for that combination and have a multiple driver tester and I expect it to even sound pretty good. Might call it a Cornscala."

Bob Crites