Is the RP8000F a significant upgrade over the RF5?

gsgleason

I have the chance to get a new damaged pair of RP800F with the RP600C for $500.

I currently have the RF5 and RC35 that I paid $600 for last year.

Is this a significant upgrade? 

This will be the main living area setup for 2.0 music and 3.1 movies (SVS SB1000 sub).

14 minutes ago, gsgleason said:

I have the chance to get a new damaged pair of RP800F with the RP600C for $500.

I currently have the RF5 and RC35 that I paid $600 for last year.

Is this a significant upgrade? 

This will be the main living area setup for 2.0 music and 3.1 movies (SVS SB1000 sub).

I agree with @CoryGillmore above here as long as there's only minor cosmetic damage I'd say grab them up quick and let us know what you find out then sell off your least favorite set to recoup the cash. 

• Like 1

If you can afford to get that deal without selling your RF-5/RC-35 combo first, then that is what I say do.  Maybe do a few comparison demos for a week or so and sell the ones you like least.  That would truly be the only way to know which combo is best, to your ears.

Bill

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gsgleason said:

But does anyone know if it's a significant upgrade?

I can't speak for the RF-5 to the RP8000, but I went from the RF-35 to the 8000 and it was drastic. If you can look past the damages I say its a great deal. You should be able to sell what you don't want after you try them out.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, willland said:

Until I find a 2 way tower that sounds better, but I ain't looking.

Bill

My only concern is the lack of replacement parts for these models if I were you I'd pick up some extra woofers just in case maybe an extra tweeter driver to have on hand we've had at least a couple people here with bad woofers in their 83's and as far as I know they are ShitOutOfLuck. 

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

My only concern is the lack of replacement parts for these models if I were you I'd pick up some extra woofers just in case maybe an extra tweeter driver to have on hand we've had at least a couple people here with bad woofers in their 83's and as far as I know they are ShitOutOfLuck. 

You know, I was just thinking about that the other day.  They have them both in stock.

https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/klipsch-1000329-rf-63-rf-83-tweeter-k-71-g/

https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/klipsch-1000265-rf-63-woofer-k-1205-nb/

Bill

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I'm the same way with my main two pairs of speakers and especially the CF-3 v1's.  I'm fortunate enough to have two of the HF drivers and a new in box woofer, although I believe it's a v3 woofer. Same goes with my ads L1230's; replacement drivers are rare and I'm glad I had the mids and tweeters rebuilt by the gentleman who used to be at ads and had all the remaining inventory of repair parts.  But, those are about gone, too, over the last 30+ years.  I need to send the four 8" woofers to him for cone/voice coil replacement as I have 2 that rattle.  Ahhh....the fun of older speakers.  

• Like 1