H1 Part-out or rebuild?

uteman1011

Looking for advice.

I rescued a pair of H1's ($200) that had thick black industrial paint on them (1984).  I wasn't paying close attention and didn't realize they were HBR and HFB until I was stripping the cabs.  Both built within 2 weeks of each other with matched parts (E-2 XO, K-22-K "R", K-77 "R", K-52).  I've only started stripping and already did replace tweeter diaphragms. 

Would you:

Part out?

Build new Birch Cabs? (I have some skillz)

Rehab the mismatch cabs? (Done this a couple times with matched HBR)

I would likely keep them if I built new cabs, and maybe sell my '77 HWO.

What would you do?

• Like 1

if you can rehab the cabs , great , otherwise ,you can sell the cabs empty -you would be surprised at how many would grab these  and rehab them -

Also  you can re-use the Motorboards and the rear door panels  , and solely replace the top , and sides with new BB panels  ,( if the  panels are really in bad shape )-

46 minutes ago, RandyH said:

if you can rehab the cabs , great , otherwise ,you can sell the cabs empty -you would be surprised at how many would grab these  and rehab them -

Also  you can re-use the Motorboards and the rear door panels  , and solely replace the top , and sides with new BB panels  ,( if the  panels are really in bad shape )-

That's what I was thinking, using motorboards and backs with new BB. 
The difficulty in rehab is the HFB looks to be MDF with the Fir veneer.  The HBR of course is no veneer.  Pulling the veneer off won't be a good look.
Plus, there are holes in the tops and sides where they hung them.  Must have been used in a dance hall or something.  Probably why the tweeters were blown.

2 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

I think it might look cool to have two different looking, but refinished cabinets.  If they are intentionally different, it's art!

Agreed. It's not worth the cost and labor to build two new cabinets around the drivers. Knowing the history of these two as you describe them, they're "playa's", not show pieces.

I do think having two cleanly refurbished mismatched cabinets would look eyecatching. If you can't restore them reasonably to their individual good looks after removing the paint, re-paint them to match and enjoy the sound.