LaScala for this room

svberger

As some might know from earlier posts, I recently acquired a very nice pair of Cornwall I's which I very much enjoy. However I've been approached by a local acquaintance to see if I have any interest in a pair of LaScala's. I have a smaller second system in a smaller space that I suppose I could place the Cornwall's, where they could be placed in corners. Would this space accommodate LaScala's and is it something I should do if the cost is reasonable? Ultimately they would be powered by a pair of McIntosh MC30's. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

PLACEMENT
Your La Scala Loudspeakers will perform well in a variety of locations but best results will be achieved using the following general guidelines:
Place on a common wall 6 to 15 feet apart.
Position them equidistant from the wall behind the speakers. Equidistant height above the floor with the high frequency drivers at seated ear height if wall or cabinet mounted.
Angle speakers toward the listener and even with or forward of any adjacent obstructions.
Placing them near a corner or wall provides the greatest amount of bass while moving the speakers away from room boundaries reduces bass energy.
Asymmetrical placement of a pair of speakers from adjacent side walls can smooth room-induced bass unevenness.
Experiment with the above guidelines to suit your taste and to compensate for your room's acoustic characteristics.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

PLACEMENT
Your La Scala Loudspeakers will perform well in a variety of locations but best results will be achieved using the following general guidelines:
Position them equidistant from the wall behind the speakers. Equidistant height above the floor with the high frequency drivers at seated ear height if wall or cabinet mounted.
Angle speakers toward the listener and even with or forward of any adjacent obstructions.
Placing them near a corner or wall provides the greatest amount of bass while moving the speakers away from room boundaries reduces bass energy.
Asymmetrical placement of a pair of speakers from adjacent side walls can smooth room-induced bass unevenness.
Experiment with the above guidelines to suit your taste and to compensate for your room's acoustic characteristics.

These rules would seem to indicate that the La Scala would work in this room.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, svberger said:

These rules would seem to indicate that the La Scala would work in this room.

That would be fine . Unfortunately, I can´t open the embedded pic to have a further look into your listening space  🤔

They should be awesome in that room. If not, we'll tell you all you need to change to make them work. 😁  No, you don't necessarily need subs with them. Just listen to them for a bit and get used to them. Don't crank them up right away, they are easy to get too loud, because they are so clean sounding. Just hook up the MC30s (always wanted a pair but could never find them at a price I could handle) and relax.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MicroMara said:

PLACEMENT

I hadn't seen those guidelines before. Thank-you for sharing them.

Where did they come from? (I don't disagree, I'd just like to know more).

• Thanks 1

I had the Lascala in another apartment a little closer together because the room was a bit narrower, as in your photo. Both in the other apartment and now, where the speakers are a further apart, the sound was/is excellent.
I personally do not need a subwoofer. The natural and powerful sound reproduction does not need a sub. Of course, the bass is not very deep, but the Lascala never sound thin or if something would be missing. The tones of a double bass are extremely natural. Voices and the midrange are the absolute strength of the Lascala. The K400 connects seamlessly to the bass...all of a piece.
The low E string of the double bass is not quite reached but it does not harm the wonderful musical enjoyment. Perhaps the secret lies in the fact that although the horn mercilessly stops supporting at higher basses, you can still feel the low notes, albeit more quietly. It is not a brutal cut but a gentle creeping out of the bass because you can sense direct bass through the doghouse. The ear reacts sensitively to abrupt cut offs but it forgives very benevolently a steady drop in sound energy. I would also always leave my Lascala as they are, no calming by bracing the side walls, no sterilization. Wes Montgomery, Chet Baker and Vladimir Horowitz visit you at home. BTW of all things piano, the Lascala is the master of piano reproduction...and I know a great many speakers. I have a pretty good piano in the next room, piano music is via the Lascalas authentic especially in the left hand very real (in the right hand anyway).

This photo I took just now.

D1922AD4-9E8F-4DDF-B3AC-8E457B843469.jpeg

• Like 4