New to me '76 La Scalas - "AA" crossovers, original drivers - veneered in rosewood

Bob Gardner

I found these 1976 La Scalas on Houston Craigslist.

Second owner has had them since 1982.  A couple of years ago he had the "AA" crossovers serviced and slightly modified, but the drivers are original.  He also veneered them in rosewood and added casters.

The rosewood veneer seems to be polarizing - people either love it or hate it.

The casters may reduce bass coupling slightly, although not that I have noticed (I ran Cornwalls before, and the La Scalas seem to have as much bass, except for one or two pieces I occasionally listen to).  The coasters could easily be removed, but I haven't decided about that yet.

I'd be interested in informed opinions about what these speakers are worth.

Thanks

Bob

LaScalas-Back.jpg

LaScalasBeingRefinished.jpg

LaScalas-Front.jpg

LaScalasInSystem.jpg

Edited by Bob Gardner
  • Like 2

It's tough to set a price. La Scalas if that era are worth typically $1500-3000 depending on condition. The rosewood veneer is a nice touch of custom. If it was done well, it can definitely add value. Rosewood is definitely a nice and classy way to go. But someone could argue that not original can take away from the value like a aftermarket customizations on a car or motorcycle. Are these from the father/son team that customize Klipsch speakers? Their prices tend to be a couple of grand over stock value prices normally.

• Like 1

Those speakers look nice. 

For comparison, I paid CAD$2800 (about US$2350) for a pair of 1986 La Scalas that were not as nice as those. La Scalas are pretty uncommon here (in Canada) so that there may have been a bit of a premium on account of their scarcity. Mine were entirely original but had damaged cabinets.

The fact that yours are cosmetically attractive and have had the networks serviced (which I imagine means recapped) should make them more valuable. I'd hazard that US$3000 would be quite a good buy.

The rosewood rocks. I bet the speakers do too. That floating shelf looks great. I think the speakers would probably be happier coupled to the tile floor. Good old Craigslist. Congratulations on your sonic home improvement

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Gardner said:

I believe that the rosewood veneer is done extremely well.

I don't think the previous owner is the father and son team you are thinking of.  I think the previous owner - his first name is Ace - only veneered speakers for himself.

Thanks,

Bob

The LS speakers are worth 2500-3k$ , the veneer  adds 1500$ , so 4 to 5k$ ..

.2 small items require a Correction -

-the Mids horns are the split-welded , you can see the seam , the k-401 plastic or the one -piece metal  k-400 horn without a seam , would look a lot better -

-the badges are aftermarket , worth about 15$  , a pair of Original klipsch coppers badges would stand out .