Just Ordered this Amp for my Horns

ClaudeJ1

For what it's worth, I've been bi-amping my system with tiny chip amps for years

Breeze audio BA100 on the bass horns (25USD without PSU!)

Modded Trends TA10.1 on the mid/highs

it all sounds fantastic

all those amps react very well to a quality, low noise linear power supply which brings them the refinement of much more expensive amps. Really something to consider. Plenty of options on AliExpress - I use one from ZeroZone.

1 hour ago, FFBman said:

Where did you purchase from? I used Amazon and was about 2 weeks total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered mine thru Amazon, to be fullfilled by HiFiGo. Notice of shipment a few hours ago, but not slated to arrive until Jan 31 to Feb. 13. Lot of wiggle room on that one for sure!

11 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Well, that was crazy fast. Just order the PA5 a few days ago from China and.... I'm thinking this may even be here tomorrow. 

Let us know how it compares to your other amplifiers in practice, since LotsaWatts Per Channel is not your primary requirement.

8 hours ago, Rolox said:

For what it's worth, I've been bi-amping my system with tiny chip amps for years

it all sounds fantastic

all those amps react very well to a quality, low noise linear power supply which brings them the refinement of much more expensive amps. Really something to consider. Plenty of options on AliExpress - I use one from ZeroZone.

I discovered chip amps in 2004. They were called "class T" amplifiers, using the 2020 chip, which was called one of the best chips of the last millenium by chip maker reviews.

I still have 2. I had one tested at Klipsch HQ in Indianapolis when I lived there 2013-2014. They were a really good sounding little 6 watt amp that blew the minds of reviewers of the day over 18 years ago. I used one to power my Quarter Pie Bass Horns. I still use one for all my speaker measurements and it was used in the development of the Super Heresy. You can still buy one from Parts Express under the Dayton label.

https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/697/dta-1-class-d-digital-ac-dc-amplifier-15-wpc

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html

• Like 1

Ordered mine thru Amazon, to be fullfilled by HiFiGo. Notice of shipment a few hours ago, but not slated to arrive until Jan 31 to Feb. 13. Lot of wiggle room on that one for sure!

Mine was fulfilled by HiFiGo as well. I think they quoted 3-4 weeks but I got it in just over 2 weeks. I might try Shenzhenaudio for the next one, but I’m going to wait for your and Westcoastdrums impressions of it first.

5 minutes ago, FFBman said:

Mine was fulfilled by HiFiGo as well. I think they quoted 3-4 weeks but I got it in just over 2 weeks. I might try Shenzhenaudio for the next one, but I’m going to wait for your and Westcoastdrums impressions of it first.

I have ordered from them 3 times now.   Excellent experience, very fast shipping.   Other 2 times (pre COVID) I got both items in about a week. 

14 hours ago, Rolox said:

it all sounds fantastic

I had Twin TPA3116 based amps. 4 channels were drive by Danley/Xilica Digital Xover on my Underground Jubilee Clones with K402/TAD4002 drivers. They use the very common 19 volt Laptop Power supplies that only cost $9 each. That was the best bang for the buck at the time.

I measured 124 db output in my living room. I'm now using 3 of them for surrounds, soon to be replaced by the Aiyimas with the 3255 Ti chips. They spec out with higher S/N and since I use the built in potentiometers to lower the gain, it will be easy to gain match each one. This double my power amp cost, but going for about $120 to $240, I think I'll survive the financial burden. LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 1:01 PM, JohnA said:

Do these chip amps more or less double/halve power then the impedance changes by 2 like a transistor amp?  I notice the Toping is rated at 125 watts into 4 ohms. 

Yes. My horn loaded woofer section is 106 db/watt with 8 ohm JBL 2220. Even cranked up it's less than 1 watt out of 77, which is half the 4 ohm number.

On 1/17/2022 at 9:56 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

It got here in less than 2 weeks, shipped from NYC.

On 1/21/2022 at 10:01 AM, JohnA said:

Do these chip amps more or less double/halve power then the impedance changes by 2 like a transistor amp?  I notice the Toping is rated at 125 watts into 4 ohms. 

I believe ASR measured these at 50wpc @ 8 ohm and 80wpc @ 4 ohm IIRC