Jump to content

Just Ordered this Amp for my Horns


Recommended Posts

For what it's worth, I've been bi-amping my system with tiny chip amps for years

Breeze audio BA100 on the bass horns (25USD without PSU!)

Modded Trends TA10.1 on the mid/highs

 

it all sounds fantastic

 

all those amps react very well to a quality, low noise linear power supply which brings them the refinement of much more expensive amps. Really something to consider. Plenty of options on AliExpress - I use one from ZeroZone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, that was crazy fast. Just order the PA5 a few days ago from China and.... I'm thinking this may even be here tomorrow. 


Where did you purchase from? I used Amazon and was about 2 weeks total.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FFBman said:

 


Where did you purchase from? I used Amazon and was about 2 weeks total.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Ordered mine thru Amazon, to be fullfilled by HiFiGo. Notice of shipment a few hours ago, but not slated to arrive until Jan 31 to Feb. 13. Lot of wiggle room on that one for sure!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Well, that was crazy fast. Just order the PA5 a few days ago from China and.... I'm thinking this may even be here tomorrow. 

 

Let us know how it compares to your other amplifiers in practice, since LotsaWatts Per Channel is not your primary requirement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Rolox said:

For what it's worth, I've been bi-amping my system with tiny chip amps for years

Breeze audio BA100 on the bass horns (25USD without PSU!)

Modded Trends TA10.1 on the mid/highs

 

it all sounds fantastic

 

all those amps react very well to a quality, low noise linear power supply which brings them the refinement of much more expensive amps. Really something to consider. Plenty of options on AliExpress - I use one from ZeroZone.

I discovered chip amps in 2004. They were called "class T" amplifiers, using the 2020 chip, which was called one of the best chips of the last millenium by chip maker reviews.

 

I still have 2. I had one tested at Klipsch HQ in Indianapolis when I lived there 2013-2014. They were a really good sounding little 6 watt amp that blew the minds of reviewers of the day over 18 years ago. I used one to power my Quarter Pie Bass Horns. I still use one for all my speaker measurements and it was used in the development of the Super Heresy. You can still buy one from Parts Express under the Dayton label.

 

https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/697/dta-1-class-d-digital-ac-dc-amplifier-15-wpc

 

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ordered mine thru Amazon, to be fullfilled by HiFiGo. Notice of shipment a few hours ago, but not slated to arrive until Jan 31 to Feb. 13. Lot of wiggle room on that one for sure!

Mine was fulfilled by HiFiGo as well. I think they quoted 3-4 weeks but I got it in just over 2 weeks. I might try Shenzhenaudio for the next one, but I’m going to wait for your and Westcoastdrums impressions of it first.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, FFBman said:


Mine was fulfilled by HiFiGo as well. I think they quoted 3-4 weeks but I got it in just over 2 weeks. I might try Shenzhenaudio for the next one, but I’m going to wait for your and Westcoastdrums impressions of it first.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have ordered from them 3 times now.   Excellent experience, very fast shipping.   Other 2 times (pre COVID) I got both items in about a week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Rolox said:

For what it's worth, I've been bi-amping my system with tiny chip amps for years

Breeze audio BA100 on the bass horns (25USD without PSU!)

Modded Trends TA10.1 on the mid/highs

 

it all sounds fantastic

 

all those amps react very well to a quality, low noise linear power supply which brings them the refinement of much more expensive amps. Really something to consider. Plenty of options on AliExpress - I use one from ZeroZone.

I had Twin TPA3116 based amps. 4 channels were drive by Danley/Xilica Digital Xover on my Underground Jubilee Clones with K402/TAD4002 drivers. They use the very common 19 volt Laptop Power supplies that only cost $9 each. That was the best bang for the buck at the time.

 

I measured 124 db output in my living room. I'm now using 3 of them for surrounds, soon to be replaced by the Aiyimas with the 3255 Ti chips. They spec out with higher S/N and since I use the built in potentiometers to lower the gain, it will be easy to gain match each one. This double my power amp cost, but going for about $120 to $240, I think I'll survive the financial burden. LOL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got it last night.  Still need to level match with the active crossover but the nicest thing so far, absolute silence on my horns.  Put my head all the way in the horn with the amp on full blast and not the slightest noise! So nice. Gonna work on it tonight

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 1:01 PM, JohnA said:

Do these chip amps more or less double/halve power then the impedance changes by 2 like a transistor amp?  I notice the Toping is rated at 125 watts into 4 ohms. 

Yes. My horn loaded woofer section is 106 db/watt with 8 ohm JBL 2220. Even cranked up it's less than 1 watt out of 77, which is half the 4 ohm number.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2022 at 9:56 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Ordered mine thru Amazon, to be fullfilled by HiFiGo. Notice of shipment a few hours ago, but not slated to arrive until Jan 31 to Feb. 13. Lot of wiggle room on that one for sure!

It got here in less than 2 weeks, shipped from NYC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2022 at 10:01 AM, JohnA said:

Do these chip amps more or less double/halve power then the impedance changes by 2 like a transistor amp?  I notice the Toping is rated at 125 watts into 4 ohms. 

I believe ASR measured these at 50wpc @ 8 ohm and 80wpc @ 4 ohm IIRC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...