L pads

CECAA850

33 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

What do you want to attenuate? Mid or tweeter? 

You can make an “L-Pad” from 2 resistors. It is not as convenient but works great. 

Its a 2 way so the high frequency.   Resistors are fine if you know how much attenuation you want which I don't. 

13 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

One has to start somewhere by first by using the efficiency of the tweeter minus the efficiency of the woofer as a starting point. Use this calculator for the value of resistors after estimating the db's you think you will need.  https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/DriverAttenuationLPadCircuit/

Yea, just use the calculator and buy a bunch of decent resistors.  I have that link saved. 

My JBL L250's have plates on the back to select between three settings.  I have not dug into the crossovers yet but I am pretty sure they are L Pads. 

18 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

One has to start somewhere by first by using the efficiency of the tweeter minus the efficiency of the woofer as a starting point. Use this calculator for the value of resistors after estimating the db's you think you will need.  https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/DriverAttenuationLPadCircuit/

That's the problem,  I don't know how much I want to lower it.  L pads let me try different levels of attenuation and I only have to have one pair as opposed to a bunch of resistors.   Plus no calculations or digging up specs.  Lol.

11 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

I would use 10 to 15 watt resistors in the final circuit (depending on listenibg levels), but for experimenting, you can use 1 or 2 watt resistors.

That is what I was thinking.  Buy a bunch of cheap resistors to find out the attenuation, then buy four quality resistors for the final setting. 

You can also set where you want it and have a few spaces up or down (say 2 or 3db) with jumpers if you every want to adjust more (like the L250s)