Crimson 275 ASR review

captainbeefheart

34 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

OK, no argument there. I was, disappointed seeing the tear down and testing thereafter.  I won't beat this amp up as someone here owns one. 

I hear you, he seems to have a very good attitude about the whole thing and he still likes the amplifier which is all that matters. I am sure he understands he doesn't require the power so the amp's deficiency in power isn't effecting him. I tried telling him that since he likes it and wants to keep it to at least bring it up to safety standards but he isn't concerned. I would just hate to see anyone get hurt, the safety is more concerning for me than the performance of the amplifier.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 001 said:

1 year ago , the amp was at a higher cost  , very happy , I waited , no affiliation of course , gonna check it out

https://www.usatubeaudio.com/product/amplification/integrated-amps/ayon-spirit-integrated-amplifier/

I am always interested in amplifiers I have no experience with. I will check it out thanks!

4 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

OK, no argument there. I was, disappointed seeing the tear down and testing thereafter.  I won't beat this amp up as someone here owns one. 

No need to hold back on my account it is what it is as sad as it is. I do like the sound but the more I think about it the more I feel chumped. 

2 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

No need to hold back on my account it is what it is as sad as it is. I do like the sound but the more I think about it the more I feel chumped. 

Even though I liked the sound, I would be in the same boat as you. That's not small change and that money can buy lots of nice audio. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, captainbeefheart said:

I hear you, he seems to have a very good attitude about the whole thing and he still likes the amplifier which is all that matters. I am sure he understands he doesn't require the power so the amp's deficiency in power isn't effecting him. I tried telling him that since he likes it and wants to keep it to at least bring it up to safety standards but he isn't concerned. I would just hate to see anyone get hurt, the safety is more concerning for me than the performance of the amplifier.

I appreciate your insight after reading your concerns I went back and got caught up on all the forum threads over 100 pages now seems you're not the only one concerned with the safety aspect-- that ended up being the deciding factor for me lack of safety and quality control looks like they cheaped out to the max when moving production to CA I emailed Jim Clark and asked for a refund even offered to pay return shipping and a restocking fee if necessary thanks. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I appreciate your insight after reading your concerns I went back and got caught up on all the forum threads over 100 pages now seems you're not the only one concerned with the safety aspect-- that ended up being the deciding factor for me lack of safety and quality control looks like they cheaped out to the max when moving production to CA I emailed Jim Clark and asked for a refund even offered to pay return shipping and a restocking fee if necessary thanks. 

Sorry to hear you are sending it back, I honestly don't blame you and if I were in your shoes would do the same thing.

When trying to get a refund I would certainly stress the safety issues the most as they don't want authorities finding out their product isn't up to the safety standards. I would have to look at the exact statute but the way the amplifier is now it wouldn't pass and get approval if they went for the application approval.

17 minutes ago, captainbeefheart said:

JJPTKD does your 275 have bad orange peel paint also?

No it looks very professionally done, beautiful amp that sounds even better this is such a shame. I still have it running in my system right now will dust it off and take several pictures of it before I box it up for the return.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

No it looks very professionally done, beautiful amp that sounds even better this is such a shame. I still have it running in my system right now will dust it off and take several pictures of it before I box it up for the return.

Maybe it's just an illusion of the paint in pictures, lots of modern paint with metallic base coats have a lot of depth to them. I really like the color of these amps even though I am not a huge red fan. When I see cars with paint I really like I write down the paint code and have them make me up spray cans of it and I use them to paint chassis. I have two from BMW I really like together, a metallic blue and metallic white. I paint the end bells the white and chassis blue. I am a fan of the industrial green color Altec uses but I have heard several people say they hate it. I see the vast majority of gear is either black or silver which makes amps like the 275 stand out against them, the color just has a nice pop to it.

I don't know why more companies don't come up with nice color schemes for their equipment instead of the standard black or silver.

16 minutes ago, captainbeefheart said:

Maybe it's just an illusion of the paint in pictures, lots of modern paint with metallic base coats have a lot of depth to them. I really like the color of these amps even though I am not a huge red fan. When I see cars with paint I really like I write down the paint code and have them make me up spray cans of it and I use them to paint chassis. I see the vast majority of gear is either black or silver which makes amps like the 275 stand out against them, the color just has a nice pop to it.

That's kind of funny Bob Carver picked this color for his amps because it matched his car I believe a Cadillac? 

57 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

That's kind of funny Bob Carver picked this color for his amps because it matched his car I believe a Cadillac? 

Bob in a Cadillac, that sounds about right. I guess I am in good company with Bob taking inspiration from automobiles for paint colors.

Have a look where the shadow and light meet, looks to me like orange peel. I don't have one right in front of me to inspect. It's a huge no-no with a car paint job to have orange peel but with an amplifier or anything else for that matter it gives it an almost textured look. I am not negatively putting the paint job down as like I said they may have intentionally painted it that way, I just can't make out if it is indeed is how it looks in pictures. I try and get my paint work on chassis smooth like a car but maybe a little texture isn't a bad idea. You can also see runs down at the bottom where the metal is folded over to meet the bottom cover.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Damn this amp seems to be rocking the boat quite a bit more than any I remember hearing/ reading about perhaps ever.... But not for a good reason 😒

Bob Carver seems to be a love him or hate him kind of guy-- any chance for the hate him crowd that he has embarrassed numerous times over the years to pile on him it usually turns ugly pretty quick. The Carver amp challenge some 40 years ago sent shockwaves through the industry and a lot of people have hated him ever since, a much bigger deal than this little amp.

2 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Bob Carver seems to be a love him or hate him kind of guy-- any chance for the hate him crowd that he has embarrassed numerous times over the years to pile on him it usually turns ugly pretty quick. The Carver amp challenge some 40 years ago sent shockwaves through the industry and a lot of people have hated him ever since, a much bigger deal than this little amp.

I think I've only ever has two Carver amps. One a two channel sunfire that I liked, the other an old school PA amp. Both served me well, sounded great and I had no complaints for what I paid for either 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I think I've only ever has two Carver amps. One a two channel sunfire that I liked, the other an old school PA amp. Both served me well, sounded great and I had no complaints for what I paid for either 

I bought and sold almost exclusively Carver / Sunfire gear for 10 years on eBay have had just about everything he's made in those brands love the high end Carver gear Silver 7t's, TFM-75's & Lightstar stuff once I got into Sunfire I pretty much stayed there still have several pieces amps receivers and processors. Really just bought the little tube amp to play around with it sounds so good really bums me out the way things turned out. We'll see how it goes I guess apparently a CA built 275 was shipped to Bob Carver so he can do his own inspection and testing.

• Sad 1

On 1/18/2022 at 2:48 PM, captainbeefheart said:

When trying to get a refund I would certainly stress the safety issues the most as they don't want authorities finding out their product isn't up to the safety standards. I would have to look at the exact statute but the way the amplifier is now it wouldn't pass and get approval if they went for the application approval.

Jim Clark updated his forum stating the amp is safe as is but they will update the ground for free and cover shipping costs

"We know that the 275 is perfectly safe the way it is currently wired. If you want it grounded another way, send it in and we can rewire it so the earth ground connects directly to the chassis, us paying shipping both ways. We stand behind the product and its quality.”

Thank you.

• Thanks 1