Recommended SET 300B tube amp for Klipschorn speakers

pnort

On 3/10/2022 at 3:37 PM, Curious_George said:

I've heard yes and no. I would personally like to A/B WE 300B's with a good alternate brand, but I have not had the opportunity. Judging from what I have heard in the past 40 years when comparing amps, tubes, topologies, etc. I'd be surprised that a real WE 300B is that much better than a good alternative. 

New modern 2A3's blow away old RCA 2A3's that are selling for stupid money. I have heard the difference with these tubes, which is why I can't believe the 300B would be much different. 

But hey, I'm just telling you what my ears hear and I am far from deaf. 

Which modern brand do you speak of? I am in the marker for a pair.

2 minutes ago, rigma said:

Which modern brand do you speak of? I am in the marker for a pair.

2A3 or 300B? If you can find them and the price is not inflated, Sovtek 2A3 are great. 300B, Electro-Harmonix or Gold Lion tubes are great. 

There are many others of course, but dollar to value those will give you the best value/performance.

27 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

2A3 or 300B? If you can find them and the price is not inflated, Sovtek 2A3 are great. 300B, Electro-Harmonix or Gold Lion tubes are great. 

There are many others of course, but dollar to value those will give you the best value/performance.

Sorry, I meant to say 2A3.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 12:37 AM, pnort said:

Any opinions on whether the new Western Electric 300B tubes are worth the money?

I would wait until the new WE guys have been out for a while and prove themselves. I'm skeptical. but There are some great 300B tubes out there that have been produced for years and have proven track records. If I were to drop a bundle of cash I'd rather go EML as their quality is staggering and beyond a WE 300b repro attempt. If I had to go with the JJ 300B I could also be very happy. They also don't break the bank.

Well  mzkitty already raved about the new WE 300b tubes. Someone with that many jubilees and Roy's sub designs is pretty discerning in my book. 😉

The plant has a great facility here. They have a five year warranty on them. Going to be interesting to see what they do first.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Well  mzkitty already raved about the new WE 300b tubes. Someone with that many jubilees and Roy's sub designs is pretty discerning in my book. 😉

The plant has a great facility here. They have a five year warranty on them. Going to be interesting to see what they do first.

I'd rather wait

Some of the antics of the owners at Munich Audio Show was just rediculous. I'll stick with the EML. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have tried bi-amping through the AK5 network of my Klipschorns with two 300B SET amplifiers. I first tried using the vertical method and then horizontal. I prefer the horizontal bi-amping method, but did notice that one speaker was omitting a loud hum when both amps were running.  The hum went away if either amp was switched off, so I imagine this may be an earth related issue within my pre-amp (Supratek DCT Cortese). 

Edited by plato8010

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update here: I am enjoying the Elekit 8600S 300B tube kit. After making sure it was operating correctly, I bought a pair of new WE 300B tubes, but didn't need a matched pair (the Elekit has auto bias with--sound the organ--transistor circuitry) or a wooden box, so that saved a few dimes. The sound is wonderful through my 72 Khorns with Type A crossovers. Way more than enough power with 9W output. I'm using Telefunken 12AX7 and 12AU7 tubes in the front end. There is only one input on the amp so I have two four-position audio switches to select between my Vincent Pho 701 phono preamp, CD, iPot aka iPod, TV, and FM tuner. See my post under Two-channel about  Elekit reviews and 12AX7 tubes culled from Stereophile.

Peace be the journey

• Like 2