oppo blue ray players

mopardave

6 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

@jimjimbo did Oppo put out a statement saying they won’t do any support? Their site still says to send them an email with information and they will attempt to help?  Hmmm, might need a backup plan.

@mopardave 4K bluray vs 4K pass through and up scale.  I use a 103 for 4K pass through and upscale to 4K Sony TV.  I use an external DAC so did not need a 105.  

6 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

@jimjimbo did Oppo put out a statement saying they won’t do any support? Their site still says to send them an email with information and they will attempt to help?  Hmmm, might need a backup plan.

@mopardave 4K bluray vs 4K pass through and up scale.  I use a 103 for 4K pass through and upscale to 4K Sony TV.  I use an external DAC so did not need a 105.  

Ok, so how do you pass 4K thru the 103 player.  Sounds complicated.   I will be using a Samsung 4K tv.

15 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

Well, apparently they spun off their support to another company OT Services, which wasn't a part of their "exit" the last time I looked at the site.  I have a feeling that they were inundated with comments and support requests when they made their announcement.  Hey, I guess it's a good thing!

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Ok, so how do you pass 4K thru the 103 player.  Sounds complicated.   I will be using a Samsung 4K tv.

From my 105 manual ...

10. 4Kx2K Output: Allows you to set the 4Kx2K resolution options. This option only applies to the
HDMI output at 4Kx2K resolution.
Auto (default) – Output 4Kx2K if the resolution is supported by the display and the content is
suitable for 4K up-scaling. The player automatically checks for 4K compatibility of the TV or
projector. If the display is compatible and the content being played has a 24Hz (or 23.976Hz)
frame rate, the player sends 4Kx2K video from its HDMI output terminal; otherwise, the HDMI
video is sent out at 1080p resolution or less depending on the display’s capability.

Forced – Always output 4Kx2K video format regardless of whether the TV or projector
supports it, or whether the content being played is suitable for 4K up-scaling. You may
experience a black screen (no video output) if the display is not 4K compatible. For
content that has a 50Hz or 60Hz (59.95Hz) frame rate, the output will be 4Kx2K at 25Hz or
30Hz (29.97Hz), and video quality may not be optimal due to frame rate conversion

7 minutes ago, TasDom said:

From my 105 manual ...

10. 4Kx2K Output: Allows you to set the 4Kx2K resolution options. This option only applies to the
HDMI output at 4Kx2K resolution.
Auto (default) – Output 4Kx2K if the resolution is supported by the display and the content is
suitable for 4K up-scaling. The player automatically checks for 4K compatibility of the TV or
projector. If the display is compatible and the content being played has a 24Hz (or 23.976Hz)
frame rate, the player sends 4Kx2K video from its HDMI output terminal; otherwise, the HDMI
video is sent out at 1080p resolution or less depending on the display’s capability.

Forced – Always output 4Kx2K video format regardless of whether the TV or projector
supports it, or whether the content being played is suitable for 4K up-scaling. You may
experience a black screen (no video output) if the display is not 4K compatible. For
content that has a 50Hz or 60Hz (59.95Hz) frame rate, the output will be 4Kx2K at 25Hz or
30Hz (29.97Hz), and video quality may not be optimal due to frame rate conversion

Ok, a bit complicated for me as i'm a simple 2ch stereo guy.  I assume you mean 4Kx2K output plug in is on the oppo 103 unit?  Or is there a separate piece of equipment i need to make this happen?

3 hours ago, NBPK402 said:

I just ordered a Panasonic UB820 which supposedly is as good with video as the  Oppo 203...new on Amazon $399.  It could also workout for a nice backup until you can find a Oppo for the price you want.

The UB820 looks to be very nice.  The UB9000 looks even nicer, but out of my cost range.  I also see a 420 and a 150.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

I use an external DAC so did not need a 105.  

Which DAC are you using and what connections are you leveraging (both in and out)?  

I also have a 103D (Darbee edition) although I'm currently just going TOSLink out to my older AVR.  

3 minutes ago, TLI said:

Which DAC are you using and what connections are you leveraging (both in and out)?  

I also have a 103D (Darbee edition) although I'm currently just going TOSLink out to my older AVR.  

You guys are getting a bit over my head here. I don't have a DAC. I thought i could buy a player and connect to my TV with HDMI and be done. Simple plug and play.  Looking for simplicity here.

6 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

You can.  You don't "need" a DAC.

Lets keep it simple.  I read a review on the UB820, where a gentleman bought an 820 to replace his old 500. Said picture quality was not as good with the 820 as he had with the 500, so he bought the 9000 and was more than happy.  The 9000 is just way more that i want to spend on a player at this time.   The Panasonic looks to be a very nice player on the cheap. Still looking.    On the other hand, how much better is 4K vs the old 1080p?   May settle for the oppo103.

16 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Ok, a bit complicated for me as i'm a simple 2ch stereo guy.  I assume you mean 4Kx2K output plug in is on the oppo 103 unit?  Or is there a separate piece of equipment i need to make this happen?

In a nutshell, if you want to play actual 4K disc with an Oppo, you'll need the 203 at minimum. However you will be very lucky to find one for the budget you have mentioned. Oppo player prices are crazy since they announced they are no longer manufacturing disc players.

• Like 1

Sorry for distorting the conversation. Correct you don’t “need” a dac. If you just want bluray and other HD sources, eg cable box or streaming player, run through the Oppo you just use HDMI.  

The 103 costs about half of a 105 and the 105D is even more, decide based on budget.  If only after HDMI then other players come into play as well.

3 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Lets keep it simple.  I read a review on the UB820, where a gentleman bought an 820 to replace his old 500. Said picture quality was not as good with the 820 as he had with the 500, so he bought the 9000 and was more than happy.  The 9000 is just way more that i want to spend on a player at this time.   The Panasonic looks to be a very nice player on the cheap. Still looking.    On the other hand, how much better is 4K vs the old 1080p?   May settle for the oppo103.

One not so great review?  I read many reviews on the UB820 before I purchased mine.  It has performed flawlessly for about 2 years now.

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

You guys are getting a bit over my head here. I don't have a DAC. I thought i could buy a player and connect to my TV with HDMI and be done. Simple plug and play.  Looking for simplicity here.

Sorry about that.  A couple of us unintentionally sidetracked your thread (as so often happens with forums).  

As others have already shared, the 103 can absolutely be a plug-and-play solution for you.  Just FYI, if shopping for Oppo players, you will occasionally come across model numbers followed by the letter D (in my case, I have the 103D).  This implies it is a "Darbee Edition" model where the Darbee video enhancing capabilities are included with the player (just another item to play with when trying to optimize the picture quality).  Good luck!

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

One not so great review?  I read many reviews on the UB820 before I purchased mine.  It has performed flawlessly for about 2 years now.

What was your previous player to the UB820?    I'm looking for great picture quality as well as sound quality.

The Panasonic DP-UB820 and DP-UB9000P1K specs list 7.1 analog audio outputs, which is useful to audiophiles who want to use traditional hi-fi amps (vs. an AVR connected via HDMI).  

However, the Panasonic DP-UB820 and DP-UB9000P1K do NOT support SACD or DVD-Audio, and it therefore does not provide 100% of the functionality of the Oppo universal players.  

1 hour ago, TasDom said:

In a nutshell, if you want to play actual 4K disc with an Oppo, you'll need the 203 at minimum. However you will be very lucky to find one for the budget you have mentioned. Oppo player prices are crazy since they announced they are no longer manufacturing disc players.

Yes, they are pricey.  You guys have been a great help in my search.

1 minute ago, robert_kc said:

The Panasonic DP-UB820 and DP-UB9000P1K specs list 7.1 analog audio outputs, which is useful to audiophiles who want to use traditional hi-fi amps (vs. an AVR connected via HDMI).  

However, the Panasonic DP-UB820 does NOT support SACD or DVD-Audio, and it therefore does not provide 100% of the functionality of the Oppo universal players.  

Well, i'm not sure how these items all connect, but will be using a Marantz SR5007 with the Samsung tv.   So, not sure of my connects with these components.

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

Well, i'm not sure how these items all connect, but will be using a Marantz SR5007 with the Samsung tv.   So, not sure of my connects with these components.

Your Marantz SR5007 appears to be a relatively modern AVR.   If you’ll connect a Blu-ray player to your AVR via HDMI for both audio and video, then you do not need a Blu-ray player with analog audio outputs.  

What types of discs and downloads do you want to play?

• CD (stereo only)
  • DVD (stereo and 5.1)
  • DVD-Audio (stereo and 5.1)
  • SACD (stereo and 5.1)
  • Blu-ray (DTS-HD MA 5.1, plus stereo track, and sometimes additional audio tracks)
  • Pure Audio Blu-ray (DTS-HD MA 5.1, plus stereo track, and sometimes additional audio tracks)
  • Ultra HD Blu-ray (DTS-HD MA 5.1, plus stereo track, and sometimes additional audio tracks)
  • Hi-res downloads:   24bit/192kHz PCM (stereo and 5.1), hi-res DSD (stereo and 5.1)

If you do not need analog audio outputs, but you want a “universal player” (i.e., a player that will play all digital formats listed above), have you considered a Sony UBP-X800M2?   The Sony UBP-X800M2 is a “universal player” with only an HDMI connection (i.e., no analog audio connections), supporting:

• Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, 3D and standard Blu-ray discs, SACDs, DVD-Audio, DVDs, CDs and rewriteable discs
  • high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device; PCM files up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution, and 2.8 MHz DSD files
  • AAC, AIFF, ALAC, DSD (.dff and .dfs files), FLAC, MP3, WMA, and WAV audio file formats

I don’t own a Sony UBP-X800M2.    I own Oppo UDP-205 (x2), BDP-105, and BDP-95, because I need their support for multi-channel (e.g., 5.1, 7.1) analog audio connections, and support for all of the digital formats listed above.  

If you don’t need a Blu-ray player that provides analog audio outputs, and you don’t need support for any disc formats other than Blu-ray, (e.g., no SACD support), then it seems to me that there are many run-of-the-mill HDMI-only Blu-ray players (or Ultra HD Blu-ray player) that will meet your needs.

Am I off track?  

• Like 1