Anyone know what DVD this might be on? (or if it exists for purchase?)

Coytee

Sitting at PC doing a bit of work, doodling a bit on my home pc next to work pc.  

I stumble onto some dude "Classical Composer" who's going to react to Roger Hodgson's Fools Overature, with a symphony.

Clicked on it to hear the music.  I don't think I've seen this show.  VERY difficult for me to listen to what he presents because my download speed restrictions keep chopping it up.

I like the symphony with Hodgson....  so tried to find reference to exactly what is he watching.  Thus far, I am coming up short.

So, putting it to the brain trust....  anyone know or able to figure out what show this is and if it's available on a DVD?

I don't care so much for his comments/observations, I'm after the show!

Looks like they have something like 6-7 shows.

I noticed that Hodgson is on a couple of them....and some other individuals are on a couple of them.  Almost like they taped a short show with Hodgson.....but instead of putting all on a disk, they put a single song on a disk and then spread his songs among 3-4 disks....  perhaps to entice you to buy the set.

That mixing them up kind of rubs me the wrong way as I'd rather have the continuity of someone's performance.

Also, I had to do a wider search and DID find most of these available.  I don't know if they're bootlegs, copies, or if Amazon just doesn't have them.

Found them at www.discogs.com

I see some single tracks I'd probably like to hear.....now the question is, is it worth buying the whole disc for 2-3 tracks??  

Hmmm....  don't you owe me a non covid exposed Christmas present??   :wub:

• 1 month later...

Hello.

I already apoligize for any mistakes in my english. I can guarantee you that the DVD "Best of Night of the Proms" (easily written NOTP) is an official release.

The roots of NOTP lay in Antwerp, Belgium. It was called "NOTP, where classic meets pop". In 1985 two students organized a one-night concert that should combine classical music with pop music: a classic orchestra that played classical music alternated by pop songs which were also played by the orchestra but accompanied by a pop or rock band section. The idea was to get younger people learn to know classical music. And don't you think that the youth was listening static. They were also dancing and having a ball during the classical songs too. A lot of fun! Of course, the pop songs were always top of the bill. They were sung by the original artists. The concert had more than 13500 visitors that first day and the success was so big that each year they continued organizing it. Each year more evenings were added and it has been touring over the years in 12 countries (USA: 2014). NOTP is still organised nowadays. Over the period of more than 35 years they issued CD's and DVD's with both the classic songs and the pop songs. Sometimes they compiled a best-of-DVD, like the one you guys linked to above, which contained only a number of pop-songs. I can assure you that it is worth listening to the others songs too. As you already suspected, each pop artist only sung a handfull of songs: their greatest hit(s). As I said before: it is intended to attrack young people to classical music. I hope this explains you a bit the history of NOTP.