Help/Advice Needed on How to Move Khorns and Placement on Wood Floors

nola

Hello Folks:

I have to move my mid 1970s Khorns about 3 blocks to the new house. What is the best way to move them?

The tops can be removed from the bass bins. I can unscrew the wing nuts to the cloth covers at the sides of the bass bins. They will have to go up and down 1 step from the old place and up 5 steps into the new place. 

Also, what is the best way to place them on the hardwood floor? Is putting a small carpet upside down best so as not to scratch up the old floor.  1890s house, raised on piers as is typical in the French Quarter of New Orleans.

Thank you in advance for any comments

From NOLA with love

Harbor freight dolly with moving blankets.  Take your time. Easy one person job, I've done it.  Speakers should have metal sliders underneath them per factory.  If not, go to your dollar store, flip the speakers upside and place felt pads in 4 corners.   Good luck. Let's see some pics of them beauties. 

• Like 1

Hello Folks:

Westcoastdrums, I need to join your gym !!  Definitely not a 1 person job for me, especially lifting them up 5 stairs. About 50 lbs of uneven weight is my max. Maybe 2-4 person job to make sure things don't get bashed up. As memory serves me, from over 20 yrs ago, I think there are only some metal "dots" underneath, no wheels or anything like that. I do not remember anything that seemed to be a slider device. I think I would need 1/4 - 1/2 inch riser or pads to clear the height of the dots., so as not to destroy the hardwood floor, hence the thought of carpet, or maybe thick felt pads

Posted here as I saw the pic of one ready to be moved. 

Apologies if my q is not appropriate and no intention to hijack thread. Again, apologies.

Thank you

• Moderators
16 hours ago, nola said:

Hello Folks:

I have to move my mid 1970s Khorns about 3 blocks to the new house. What is the best way to move them?

The tops can be removed from the bass bins. I can unscrew the wing nuts to the cloth covers at the sides of the bass bins. They will have to go up and down 1 step from the old place and up 5 steps into the new place. 

Also, what is the best way to place them on the hardwood floor? Is putting a small carpet upside down best so as not to scratch up the old floor.  1890s house, raised on piers as is typical in the French Quarter of New Orleans.

Thank you in advance for any comments

From NOLA with love

Hey there @nola I moved it here where I think it will get more traction. 

I'm not much help, but first the tops come off, that a for sure. Those metal buttons on the bottom are wood floor killers. While people are at it, maybe they can also suggest some ideas on how to pull those out and what they use for wood floors (but they may say, didn't worry about it because you want a rug in front of them anyway, so I put them on rug, I don't know. 

• Travis In Austin changed the title to Help/Advice Needed on How to Move Khorns and Placement on Wood Floors

I thought you used a hand truck under the front, with carpet/blanket between the front and hand truck. Put a strap around it and away you go. While one pulls up the steps, another is helping lift from below.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 1:21 PM, Peter P. said:

How about refrigerator moving straps, available at most large hardware stores?

these things are a godsend.  i moved my La Scalas around a lot with different means before I got one of these, now I wouldn't move them without! For me it gives greater control over direction of travel and distribution of weight over a hand truck, although the hand truck is most handy when on a flat, level surface.

A 3 wheel hand trolley is best for going up stairs as well as flat surfaces 

Soft blanket material to prevent damage 

A strap to hold it in place as recommended in an above post 

A second person to help when you reach the stairs if required 

Re timber floors 

Place Sorbothane under each corner for best results 

Or a carpet square- preferably flotex if available in the USA