Tangent T-500 vs T-5000

i just got a set of T500 tangents & am not very familiar with their history or the changes made from the T50 through T5000 models. i did some quick searches on here & google & came up with some basic info but still curious regarding the differences between the 500 & 5000, mainly the woofers. any members familiar with the tangent models can shed some light on my questions?

the 500/5000 look like they are basically fortes or H2 with the same mid & tweeter horn but the woofers are different in the 500 vs 5000, 500 are k-24k & the 5000 are k-28k according to the spec sheets. also different passives, 500 uses kd13 same as forte but the 5000 uses a k-120 i have never heard of. slight difference in sensitivity too, 97db for 500 & 99db for 5000, same freq response. same basic cabinet dimensions too but a ~15lb increase in the 5000, wonder why that is? 

mainly wondering what the differences in the woofers & passives are? the k24 woofers are a smooth cone & the k28 are ribbed like F2 & chorus woofers, both passives are ribbed with rubber surrounds. are the 5000 woofers that much different to increase the SPL 2db?  i assume the passives may just be weighted different but the 2 speakers have the same freq & power ratings. 

other minor tangents differences are vinyl wrapped cabinets vs full veneer of consumer models (early 10-50 tangents have 2 veneered sides) & the drivers are not flush mounted like normal models of klipsch. i havent pulled any drivers yet to look at cabinet construction but from what ive read they are the same thickness & MDF as other models of this era.  & they are TALL cabinets due to the passive being in the front vs rear, wish they would have just made them a dual woofer design like the kg5.5 or KLF & EPICS.     

14 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I might be wrong but my memory tells me the T-5000 had the same components as the forte?

yes the mid & tweets look to be the same as in fortes on the 500 & 5000. not sure about the diaphragms but the horns are the same in the 500 as the 5000. 

just curious why the change in woofers & what the differences may be on the k24 vs k28.  

• Like 1

I have owned both. Actually just sold the T-5000s last week. It was a tough decision, but the only time I used them was when I was messing with my main speakers.

And they always impressed me, even compared to La Scalas. Impressed me compared to the Forte 2s as well, so much so that I kept the 5000s and sold the others. Taller and front passive is a plus. You could put them in the middle of the room and they sounded great.

The 500s never quite did it for me in the bass department. The 5000s did.

The 4 ohm woofer would account for an extra couple decibels SPL and the other drivers ride along with it it.

The crossover is unique to the 5000, the 500 has the Heresy 2 crossover.

I was always thinking to get the H3 upgrade kit for either pair but never did. I have no doubt the end result would be stunning.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, billybob said:

Went looking for the Tangent flyer saw posted here. Don't know if member still reachable with those specs that MAY show drivers.:

thanks for the link,i did see that one in my searches but doesnt have any info regarding my questions.  klipsch has the spec sheets for both 500 & 5000 series tangents & thats where i saw the different specs & woofer part #s.  heres the tangent brocures with specs for all the models. the early 10-50 models specs are available too.  

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/Tangent-100-series.pdf

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/files/Tangent-1000-series-brochure.pdf

20 hours ago, billybob said:

??

20 hours ago, billybob said:

How is the bass? I had the 500s...

i havent hooked them up or pulled any drivers to look inside yet but will do that soon & report back on my findings.  they do look like they should perform as good as fortes or H2s since they are the same basic drivers & the cabinets are a LOT bigger than fortes. 

questions on the woofers still remain, anyone know the sonic or spec differences between the 2.  

• Like 1

Just now, geoff. said:

I have owned both. Actually just sold the T-5000s last week. It was a tough decision, but the only time I used them was when I was messing with my main speakers.

And they always impressed me, even compared to La Scalas. Impressed me compared to the Forte 2s as well, so much so that I kept the 5000s and sold the others. Taller and front passive is a plus. You could put them in the middle of the room and they sounded great.

The 500s never quite did it for me in the bass department. The 5000s did.

The 4 ohm woofer would account for an extra couple decibels SPL and the other drivers ride along with it it.

The crossover is unique to the 5000, the 500 has the Heresy 2 crossover.

I was always thinking to get the H3 upgrade kit for either pair but never did. I have no doubt the end result would be stunning.

thanks for the info.  so you are saying the k24 woofer is 8 ohms & the k28 is 4?  does the change in the x-over for the 5000 adjust the ohms, since they both show they are 8 ohm speakers?  that would account for the 2db SPL difference, but the freq response is the same for both so they should have equal bass just slightly more efficient on the 5000s. 

& the 15lb weight difference seems pretty big, wonder what makes up for the added weight since the cabinets are the same dimensions.. maybe a thicker motor board on the 5000, the woofer cant be a 15lb difference. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RandyH said:

the differences  between the Forte 1  and the T-5000  are the   -1)crossover -2) woofer ( except the Forte 2 )  -3) passive woofer

ok,  didnt ask about forte to 5000 difference)       got any input on the 500 vs 5000 woofer ,  weight    or specs    differences??

10 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

ok,  didnt ask about forte to 5000 difference)       got any input on the 500 vs 5000 woofer ,  weight    or specs    differences??

Looking at the info in the brochures the cabinets appear to be the same size-- added weight must be from the heavier woofer and possibly internal bracing? Sensitivity on Klipsch speakers is based almost exclusively on the woofer performance and horn drivers are dialed down to match.   

One thing of note with the woofers; the k-24 was used in the H-II with a 96db rating the k-28 is used in the H-III with a 99db rating. Looks like they swapped some parts around to achieve higher performance at least as far as sensitivity is concerned changes to passive and crossover to accommodate new parts as to be expected. 

• Like 1