Tangent T-500 vs T-5000

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

Looking at the info in the brochures the cabinets appear to be the same size-- added weight must be from the heavier woofer and possibly internal bracing? Sensitivity on Klipsch speakers is based almost exclusively on the woofer performance and horn drivers are dialed down to match.   

thanks.  i will open them up & see what the insides look like,  but 15lbs difference in woofers is a huge amount,  could the k28s be a PRO woofer like the k48 vs a standard k24?  just cant see the woofer or a few pieces of small wood for bracing being 15lbs heavier.  

anyone open up a pair of 5000s to see what the internal cabinets look like for bracing or different thicknesses??

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

Looking back at the spec's the tweeters are different as well the 500's have the k-76 from the Quartet and H-II while the 5000's have the k-75 from the forte

do you happen to know what the differences are in the tweeter horns/diaphragms?  i thought the quartet/F2/CH2 used the same tweeter, just got a different part# for each model for some reason?

4 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

could the k28s be a PRO woofer like the k48 vs a standard k24? 

no , the K-24 and the k-28 share the same steel  basket and ferrite magnet  , they weigh relatively the same -

4 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

do you happen to know what the differences are in the tweeter horns/diaphragms?  i thought the quartet/F2/CH2 used the same tweeter, just got a different part# for each model for some reason?

The magnet on the k-76 is much smaller than the k-75 same diaphragm though 

• Like 1

The k-79 in the Chorus line has the same size magnet as the k-75 but the Chief pointed out recently that there is a difference in the gap size to increase the sensitivity in the k-79 so all three tweeter magnets are different but the diaphragms and horns are the same.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

thanks for the info on these guys, answers my questions.  now i just need to give them a listen to see how i like them compared to my forte2 & chorus2. 

also just pulled a tweeter real quick & the motor board is 3/4" thick but does look to be less dense than MDF but not quite as cheap as the particle board you buy for home projects at home depot etc.  must be the majority of the weight difference, strange the brochures dont mention cabinet wood or MDF anywhere. 

• Like 1

That’s the 5000s in the picture.

The lame attempt at bracing was an afterthought, I had them open to PL (adhesive) all of the joints. In another thread years ago I mentioned you could literally shine a flashlight inside the cabinets and see light through some of the joints on the outside. It “seamed” to be a common issue in similar threads. Might be a good idea to invest in a tube.

The K-601 horn was an afterthought too. It actually fits flush in the cabinet and you could notch it around the tweeter or woofer, if you were so inclined, for the fun of it. Of note, I have had three pairs of K-601 horns over the years, and each pair had a different composition ranging from thin brittle plastic (pictured, probably first year) to thick non-resonating resin.

...starting to regret selling them, NOT, waaaay too many projects on the go, as usual.

FC00AEAE-A20D-4482-A619-BBF50845F80E.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

ok,  didnt ask about forte to 5000 difference)       got any input on the 500 vs 5000 woofer ,  weight    or specs    differences??

Sometimes you just get more info than you need when someone else's reply gets read and they run with it.

• Like 1

Looks like some type of particle board not MDF I don't remember any bracing at all in my old 500's but it's been well over 10 years since I had those. I thought the panels were less than 3/4" on the 500's something like 5/8's IIRC but again it was a long time ago. I paid $250 for mine at the time and felt they were a great deal at that price very decent speaker for the money. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geoff. said:

That’s the 5000s in the picture.

The lame attempt at bracing was an afterthought, I had them open to PL (adhesive) all of the joints. In another thread years ago I mentioned you could literally shine a flashlight inside the cabinets and see light through some of the joints on the outside. It “seamed” to be a common issue in similar threads. Might be a good idea to invest in a tube.

The K-601 horn was an afterthought too. It actually fits flush in the cabinet and you could notch it around the tweeter or woofer, if you were so inclined, for the fun of it. Of note, I have had three pairs of K-601 horns over the years, and each pair had a different composition ranging from thin brittle plastic (pictured, probably first year) to thick non-resonating resin.

...starting to regret selling them, NOT, waaaay too many projects on the go, as usual.

FC00AEAE-A20D-4482-A619-BBF50845F80E.jpeg

thanks for the pics.  looking at this pic & the other one of the bracing, the cabinets look to be exactly like my 500s, a kinda rough surface with what looks like ground up pieces of wood glued together, does not look like real MDF of other klipsch & other brands of speakers i own or owned.  they are definitely NOT OSB as that has big flakes of wood glued together, not finer pieces of ground up wood like particle board, while MDF is a very fine & dense composition.  i pulled atweeter in my fortes & academy center & they are MDF for sure,  the wood for 500s & possibly 5000s dont look like MDF to me but might be hard to tell in geoffs pics.  & the 500's are definitely exactly 3/4" for the front board, cant really measure the other boards since they are vinyl wrapped. 

anyone confirm the wood used for 5000/5000s? i dont see any official mention of what was used in the brochures. 

3 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

anyone confirm the wood used for 5000/5000s? i dont see any official mention of what was used in the brochures. 

Do a google image search of "particle board" there's numerous grades with various sized wood chunks what is seen in these pictures is a very common type / density.

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Do a google image search of "particle board" there's numerous grades with various sized wood chunks what is seen in these pictures is a very common type / density.

yeah im pretty familiar with particle board, OSB & MDF & other woods, ive done quite a few amateur wood projects & used to build sub boxes for car audio,  hard to tell for sure in the pics posted but the edges of the driver cut outs on the 5000s look very similar to the 500's i have here... but the fortes & academy cabinets are definitely smooth & much finer like other speaker quality MDF i have seen, MDF is usually like a very fine saw dust or flour consistency glued together while the average particle board is more like sand or a bit more coarse fibers. 

but if the only difference for the weight is the cabinet material then the 5000s must be an MDF.  thanks again for the help.   

15 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

but if the only difference for the weight is the cabinet material then the 5000s must be an MDF.  thanks again for the help.   

These were a bare bones budget speaker offered at discount prices it seems hard for me to believe that they would reengineer the cabinets between these two models while keeping the same exact dimensions and cut-outs. My guess is that the listed weight is probably wrong in one of the two speakers from what I can see. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

yeah im pretty familiar with particle board, OSB & MDF & other woods, ive done quite a few amateur wood projects & used to build sub boxes for car audio,  hard to tell for sure in the pics posted but the edges of the driver cut outs on the 5000s look very similar to the 500's i have here... but the fortes & academy cabinets are definitely smooth & much finer like other speaker quality MDF i have seen, MDF is usually like a very fine saw dust or flour consistency glued together while the average particle board is more like sand or a bit more coarse fibers. 

MDF = Medium density fiberboard.

Larger fibers = low density LDF

HDF is smaller fibers & heavier I believe. (been a while)

Very similar products.

• Like 1